Home Quicken for Mac Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)

Schwab.com - Mutual Fund Transactions - Remove Share / Add Cost

Last Friday I updated my Schwab.com brokerage account using Quicken 2020 (Premium). It downloaded all transactions (buy/sell) from a mutual fund (MLPDX), but in the "Portfolio" tab in the account (next to "transactions") it shows no holding for the mutual fund. At the bottom of the transaction there's a gray out transaction "remove shares / add cost" for that particular security, but all buys are in, but I sold none of those inits.

Even online at Schwab.com, the holding is there. I tried to disconnect the account and reconnect. The error persists.

Comments

• Quicken_NatalieQuicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @jcalveras,

Thank you for providing the details of this issue to the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

What version/release of Quicken are you using? You can find that by going to Quicken>About Quicken. Also, please see this FAQ for details on adding more information to your post so that other Community members are best able to assist you.

If you have not already done so, please see the information and follow the steps available here for more details on resolving placeholder transactions in Quicken for Mac.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Natalie

• jcalverasjcalveras Member ✭✭
    Quicken for Mac 2020 ; Premium
    Version 5.15.1 (Build 515.32947.100)
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @jcalveras

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details.

If you haven't done so already, please take a moment to review the steps and information regarding placeholders, available here.

If these steps do not work to resolve the placeholder, please try removing the placeholder transaction and see if this corrects the issue.

Let us know how it goes! 
    -Quicken Tyka
    Hello @Quicken_Tyka.
    Your solution does not apply. I have the shares in the online account at Schwab.com, but quicken does not count them and asks me to put the cost. I did not sell those transactions. Quicken seems to not to have downloaded the number of shares for that particular security.

I tried to Disconnect/Reconnect, but still the shares are not in my Quicken account.

There's no "cost" to add to "remove" the shares.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @jcalveras

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details.

May I ask what happens if you remove this transaction altogether?

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    OK! If I eliminate the placeholder, the shares are back in the account. If I update, the placeholder does not appear again.

May I ask what is the cause of the placeholder appearing all of a sudden ? Is it an occasional glitch ?
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    jcalveras said:
    May I ask what is the cause of the placeholder appearing all of a sudden ? Is it an occasional glitch ?
    Hello @jcalveras

Great question, although I'm sorry that you have not yet received a response.

Quicken enters a placeholder entry if you are missing part of your transaction history. For any given security, if the total number of shares bought or added in your transaction list does not equal the number of shares in your account, then Quicken enters a placeholder transaction to make up the difference.

For more information on placeholders, please visit: https://www.quicken.com/support/about-placeholder-entries

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if there are any further questions/concerns the community may assist with.

Sarah
    Thanks! For the moment I'd consider the issue solved.

Jordi
This discussion has been closed.