Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

"new" quicken bill pay

I was on quicken 2017 and using the quicken bill pay service. I received a notice that I MUST upgrade to the subscription version of quicken that has an annual fee.

Ok, but then once you did the upgrade, you're notified that you have to setup a completely new account with new links to your bank accounts and new verifications that have to be completed.

So then that means you have to reset up all your bills again at the new service? That's a TON of work. When they switched services a few years back, they at least had the courtesy to transfer the accounts and bills to the new service (metavante?) Why are they not doing that this time around? Its a TON of work to keep using quicken bill pay.

And what happens to your local data if you decide to not renew your quicken software subscription after a year? Are you locked out of your data file completely or do you at least have read only access to it for historical reporting purposes?

Thanks.

Comments

• user01
    user01 Member ✭✭
    So I'm trying to set up the new forced-on-you quicken bill pay product and I am immediately running into a problem. It says "Please add at least one online bill to use with quick pay payments before setting up a payment account". Except, I have no online bills I want to set up (seriously - why would anyone give quicken their online passwords to all their accounts and have it stored in one place on one server that is a hacker's dream? Not to mention that the accounts have 2 factor authentication which apparently does NOT work with this new bill pay service.)

All i want to do is set up check payments.

How do I bypass this message so I can set up check payments?

Thanks.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @user01

Thank you for the feedback, although I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble completing the steps to set up the Quicken Bill Manager.

Quicken Bill Manager has the same level of security as Quicken; your biller usernames and passwords are actually stored in an encrypted token, and when your bills are updated or paid, all of that information is encrypted with bank-level security before it's sent.

The first step requires that an online biller be added to Quicken. The online bill doesn't necessarily have to be paid using the bill manager. However, an online bill will need to be connected to use the Quicken Bill Manager.

At this time, there is no workaround to bypass the first step of adding an online biller.

~~~***~~~
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Here is the link - for QBM -
    and the "steps" are listed, but the MANUAL entry is actually the 4th step listed,
    and has nothing to do with the Online steps -
    HOWEVER - going back over the steps...
    it would appear that you need to perform step #2 and #3 - the Account Verification -
    SO.... the part that is confusing is starting with step #1 - Online Biller -
    which would be a roadblock for users wanting only Check Pay -
    Just skip that - and look at steps #2 and #3

Quicken for Windows

The sets of steps below need to be followed in the order shown.

First, you will need to add an online bill

Second, enable a payment account for Quick Pay

Third, set up Check Pay (optional)

Adding a manual bill for Check Pay

If you cannot access your bill online, or would prefer to track your bill manually, you can add a manual bill. For a manual bill, you supply both the billing amount and the billing date/interval. Manual bills can be paid with Check Pay.

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    To clarify further,

If you cannot access your bill online or would prefer to track your bill manually, you can add a manual bill. For a manual bill, you supply both the billing amount and the billing date/interval. Manual bills can be paid with Check Pay.

This does not mean that this can be done without first adding an online bill. An online bill is required to then enable payment for Quickpay and Check pay

This is the result of completing the above steps without creating an online biller and verifying the account.

Take note that there is no option displayed to send with "Check Pay."

Please note there is no option to pay with Check Pay.

Once an online biller has been added, a payment account has been verified; a manual bill can be added then paid with Check Pay.

Please note the "Allow Paying with Check Pay" option. 

I hope this helps to clarify.
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.