Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken Bill Manager

Am I the only one who is very disturbed by Quicken's new Bill Manager and the policies surrounding it. From Quicken Kathryn we learn that:

1) Quicken Bill Pay simply stops on June 31, 2020 - so, sorry, no option at this point, you must use the new Bill Manager, Bill Pay just goes away - but then we also learn:

2) there is a severe limit (12) on the number of Quick Bill payments you can make per month:
Per Kathryn: "Existing Quicken Bill Pay Users:
Premier and higher: 12 Quick Pay and 6 Check Pay payments per month.

AND then,

3) we learn that there is currently not a way to add additional capacity (a feature they are working on), let alone what the pricing will be for additional transactions:
Per Quicken Kathryn: "There is no current way to add more payments to your total monthly payments, but we are working to provide this option.

AND then,

4) From Kathryn: "If you reach your payment 'limit' for the month, you will see a message that you can't make more payments."

I do roughly 100 transactions/payments per month. Sometimes more, sometimes less. So unless I am missing something here, this policy tells me that instead of using Quicken to pay bills, starting June 31 I will now have go to my bank's bill pay Web Site and do all of my payments from there (maybe minus the few free ones I get) and simply use Quicken do download and categorize my transactions. For me, and I acknowledge I may be unusual in my number of transactions, this completely defeats the purpose of Quicken being an easy-to-use single place to manage transactions and pay bills. But unless you only pay less than 12 bills per month, seems like your only choice will be to use your banks bill pay or pay of additional capacity should that feature become available.

What am I missing here? I love Quicken, have been a loyal Quicken for Mac user for 10 years and have endured through all of the on again, off again development cycles, countless bugs, data corruption issues, poor design issues etc. Now, finally, when Quicken for Mac seems to be a reasonably stable product (albeit still with lots of quirks and limitations) with a strong focus from management on rectifying past issues, we find out we are being forced into this model. One which, by the way, still is not fully baked and, in my case has failed every time I have tired to use it.

Am I missing something here? If I misunderstand what Quicken is doing please inform me.

Thanks

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I can't tell for sure if you are using Quicken Bill Pay or controlling your financial institution's bill pay service.
    The upcoming changes to Quicken do not impact your using the FI's bill pay service, only Quicken Bill Pay.
    Please clarify whose bill pay service.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • michael1212
    michael1212 Member ✭✭
    Splasher: I use Quicken Bill Pay to pay almost 100% of my bills.

You said: "The upcoming changes to Quicken do not impact your using the FI's bill pay service, only Quicken Bill Pay"

and that is exactly my point. As I see it, due to the number of transactions I currently do with Quicken Bill Pay every month (way more than the 12 that is allowed) I will be now forced to revert to my bank's bill pay web site to pay most of my bills. This is not the all that bad since my bank has a pretty good bill pay capability, but my point is that Quicken has spent all of these $$$ on developing the capability to do their own Bill Pay - but with their 12 transactions per month limitation, I and I suspect many others will be forced to do much of the bill pay at their bank's bill pay web site. I thought they were trying to make Quicken and the process of paying bills a seamless service "within" Quicken. Forcing me to pay most bills outside of seems to totally defeat the purpose.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Also note that if you use Direct Connect AND your bank supports Bill Pay via Direct Connect, then you have a fallback alternative that will continue to work, that should effectively work like Quicken Bill Pay but directly with your FI/Bank.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    As mentioned above - You might consider using your bank directly for bill payment.  I have been using my Chase acct for paying bills directly, and it works just fine....   I do everything in Quicken, and the online transactions appear in the "online" screen, and in the Register as "Sent" -  I don't have to visit the Chase online bill payment website, as everything is done via Quicken -

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @michael1212
    Not sure what Quicken Bill Pay plan you are on, but I agree, if you are making in the neighborhood of 100 transactions a month, the new system won't work for you as is, maybe they will have it fixed by the time QBP ceases to work.

• jcanavera
    jcanavera Member ✭✭
    I'm was not a Quicken user but have used Quicken Bill Pay for many years now. I find the entire process totally confusing and have now talked to 3 different telephone support folks getting different answers. First two of the three are telling me that all my current Payee's information will convert over. I just loaded Quicken 2020 for Mac and got it set up. I linked my financial institution up and set up the quick pay and check pay accounts. Problem is I see no Payees yet from my current Quicken bill pay account. The third person I called today said the migration process is still being worked on at this time and told me to wait for further instructions.

Secondly I'm quite disturbed regarding the number of payment limits I read about in this thread. This is totally inadequate for my need since I have at least 20 payment I make to various people or companies each month.

Third I still receive paper billing from people and I still want that. Most of my bills to those billing me on paper I enter into Quicken Bill Pay and they pay electronically. Are we losing that capability if we enter those payment amounts in the same fashion will the new bill payment system and opt to not get an electronic bill, are the bills being paid by check? And what about bill payment dates. I've gotten pretty spoiled over the years in entering the bill pay dates for the date due, and them getting credited by the payees on that date. Is that now out the window now?

Jack
  • michael1212
    michael1212 Member ✭✭
    To All: Thank you all for your comments on this issue. I think this is so confusing because there are so many terms used to describe the various different services around paying bill using Quicken for Mac: Quicken Bill Pay, Bank Bill Pay, Direct Connect, Quicken Connect and now Bill Manager which includes, I think, Quick Pay and Check Pay.

In reading all the comments I think the answer I was hoping for was provided by @smayer97 who, if I understand it correctly, says that the Direct Connect function will continue working.

from @smayer: "Also note that if you use Direct Connect AND your bank supports Bill Pay via Direct Connect, then you have a fallback alternative that will continue to work, that should effectively work like Quicken Bill Pay but directly with your FI/Bank."

In my case, I use Direct Connect exclusively to connect into my bank (which my bank fully supports) and then Quicken Connect to connect with all of my various credit cards (which they fully supported). SO, if what you say is indeed correct, then the issue/concern is 100% SOLVED.

In reviewing Kathryn's announcement, I did not see any reference to indicate Direct Connect (or Quicken Connect for credit cards) would continue working. So it would be a major relief to all if Quicken Kathryn could simply confirm that Direct Connect and Quicken Connect will continue to work as is after June 30th cut off of Bill Pay.

Thanks again for everyone chipping in on this topic...Michael
  • waltepa1
    waltepa1 Member
    I, too, need this clarification re: Direct Connect & Quicken Connect. I hope Quicken Kathryn is reading this thread!!!!!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken physically connects to your bank using a couple different "protocols" -
    - Direct Connect - is the most robust 2-way protocol for downloading transactions from your bank AND also allows the uploading of transactions for bill payments
    - All others... are the protocols used for downloading transactions and only downloading, there is no support for uploading bill payments
    Thus - to have your bank support bill payments - like my Chase bank - you need to have THREE elements -
    #1 - bank must support Direct Connect - for the 2-way protocol communication
    #2 - bank must implement some form of online bill payment
    #3 - bank must allow and interface with Quicken to support bill payments
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    waltepa1 said:
    I, too, need this clarification re: Direct Connect & Quicken Connect. I hope Quicken Kathryn is reading this thread!!!!!
    To control your financial institution's bill pay system via Quicken requires a Direct Connect (DC) download method connection.  For that to work, your FI has to support that control, just having a DC connection is not enough.
    Quicken Connect is the Mac version of Express Web Connect for the Win version and neither is capable of controlling the FI's bill pay system.
    If you look at the FIDIR.txt file, FIs that support Quicken controlling their bill pay system, there will be a PAYMENT notation in their Direct Connect entry as shown in this example entry:

05533 05533 05533 5 Star Bank https://www.5star.bank 1-800-776-2265
    https://www.5staronlinebanking.com/tob/live/usp-core/app/login/consumer
    ACTIVE
    BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO,PAYMENT&DIRECT
    BANKING&WEB-CONNECT
    BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT
    NOT_QBP NA

If you search through the FIDIR.txt file, you will find that PAYMENT is only associated with the entries with a DIRECT section.
    Now, whether any of this will change in the future requires a response from a Quicken representative, but IMO, the latest changes from Quicken Bill Pay to Quick Pay and Check Pay will have no affect. Nothing changed when they changed "Quicken Bill Pay" providers in the past.
  • James104
    James104 Member ✭✭
    I will be setting up a lot of automatic payments from my bank (Chase) and Credit Union (ECCU), and probably writing more paper checks until this gets sorted out. I don't blame Quicken for seeking more revenue streams, but you'd think they would beta test this a lot before they roll it out, and maybe ask the community what they want.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    James104 said:
    I will be setting up a lot of automatic payments from my bank (Chase)
    If you have an account at Chase,
    you can use your Quicken to connect directly with Chase as your bill payment service. 

This discussion has been closed.