Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken ID popup but ignoring it just goes on to Quicken - now crashes

Jerry2
Jerry2 Member ✭✭
Desktop Quicken Deluxe (R25.18) on Windows 10

This is recent behavior. On opening Quicken Deluxe the Quicken ID pops up. Because I do not have the ID handy to enter, if I ignore it, the computer just goes on to open Quicken Deluxe without my entering nothing and all seems well.

Why does the Quicken ID pop up at all if it can just be ignored?

Best Answer

• Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Update:
    I got on a chat with Quicken.com.
    We uninstalled quicken manually. Deleted its folders in Programs(86) and in Users. Downloaded and installed my purchased file.
    Guess what: on opening Quicken again opened as Quicken, Home, Business... etc! We then opened a new test file. Only after creating that test file, did quicken change to Quicken Deluxe version. The Quicken ID opened once, but then no more.
    A bit of a scare but all's well that ends well. I hope my old Q settings are still the same.....

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a data file password on your Quicken data file?
    This, combined with a possible code change in Quicken, might be causing it.
    File password or not, please try this:
    1. After Quicken finishes opening, go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group.
    3. Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID.

• Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    I did as you indicated, but now when I reopen Quicken (after downloading the Quicken.exe file it told me to download) Quicken opens as "Quicken, Home Business and Rental Property" - which is not what I own. I own Quicken Deluxe.
    How do I get back to my original Quicken Deluxe?
  • Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    I forgot to add:
    after it opens as "Quicken, Home Business and Rental Property" - which is not what I own, it immediately crashes and I cannot use it.
    What to do?
  • Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    I found my original Quicken subscription file and used it to re-install my Quicken Deluxe. It uninstalls the "installed version" and reinstalls and updates. When Quicken opens, it still opens as "Quicken, Home Business and Rental Property", loads my datafile and then immediately crashes.
    What to do?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The installation media only contains one flavor of Quicken, and that's HB&R.
    Only after you successfully opened a data file and registered your installation with your Quicken ID will your software be initialized to the edition level, Deluxe, which you purchased.

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, for example, from Qdata.QDF to QdataX.QDF
    Usually this file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Jerry

Thank you for providing those additional details, although I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a crash.

When Quicken is first downloaded and installed, it is always the Home, Business and Rental Property version. 

Once you sign in with the Quicken ID associated with your active subscription, the product version updates to match your current subscription product, in this case Quicken Deluxe.

When Quicken crashes, do you receive a prompt to submit a crash report?  If so, have you submitted the reports?

If not, please attempt to open Quicken once more and once the crash occurs, please submit the crash report.

If no prompt for the crash report appears, and you haven't already, I would recommend opening Quicken without a data file loaded.

To do so, hold down the Ctrl key (or Ctrl + Shift) and while holding down the key(s), double-click the Quicken icon on the computer desktop.  Continue holding down the keys until Quicken opens to a blank grey screen with only the "File" and "Help" menu in the upper left corner.

If Quicken opens that far, please go to the File menu > New Quicken File and sign-in with the Quicken ID associated with your active Deluxe subscription.

Quicken should refresh and now show the Deluxe version instead of Home, Business and Rental, please let me know if it does not.

Once you've signed in, please go through the registration screens, selecting "Don't use mobile" and when the Add Account window opens, simply close it with the "x" or "cancel" buttons.

If we've gotten this far without experiencing a crash, next, please go to the File menu > Open Quicken File and attempt to open your already existing data file.

Does the crash still occur?  Or are you now able to successfully access the file?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Update:
    I got on a chat with Quicken.com.
    We uninstalled quicken manually. Deleted its folders in Programs(86) and in Users. Downloaded and installed my purchased file.
    Guess what: on opening Quicken again opened as Quicken, Home, Business... etc! We then opened a new test file. Only after creating that test file, did quicken change to Quicken Deluxe version. The Quicken ID opened once, but then no more.
    A bit of a scare but all's well that ends well. I hope my old Q settings are still the same.....
  • Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    Important:
    After the reinstallation I decided to check the preferences and under cloud accounts I found a list of

"Cloud accounts (datasets) that are associated with your Quicken files".

What does this mean? I DO NOT WANT my data in the cloud. I want to keep it ONLY on my PC.

Do I delete the items there? How? The Delete button is grayed out.

***Has my data already been shared on Quicken's servers? How do I remove it?
  • mark miller
    mark miller Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    My issue is similar, but slightly different. Similarly, i get the Quicken ID splashscreen from the last update (VERY ANNOYING),i ignore it, put in my local password and still works. (Removed-Rant/Disruptive)
  • Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

(Removed-Rant/Disruptive)
This discussion has been closed.