How to always add date to backups - switching between local drive and Dropbox

MarieBaumann
MarieBaumann Member ✭✭
Is there a way to set the backup tool to "always" add the date? I often forget to check the "Add date to backup file name" box.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Once you checkmark that box -
    it will remain checkmarked and used each time a Manual Backup is created
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    If you aren't manually changing the filename, that box should stay checked.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • MarieBaumann
    MarieBaumann Member ✭✭
    When I switch between a local drive and Dropbox, the check mark for the previous used one goes away.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    When I switch between a local drive and Dropbox, the check mark for the previous used one goes away.
    In general, would suggest you keep making backups to your local drive -
    and then later, grab what you want and copy to Dropbox -
    EDIT - also updated topic title to better reflect actual Q&A

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that just simply a matter of
    • configuring Quicken to create an Automatic Backup to its folder (usually Documents\Quicken\Backup) every time you close Quicken
      and
    • setting Dropbox to automatically backup all new files in this folder (but NOT the files in Documents\Quicken!)?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    • setting Dropbox to automatically backup all new files in this folder (but NOT the files in Documents\Quicken!)?
    How do you do that? I can't find a setting to back up an addtional random folder to Dropbox. I only have the option of a single folder, default %USERPROFILE%\Dropbox.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    How do you do that? I can't find a setting to back up an addtional random folder to Dropbox. I only have the option of a single folder, default %USERPROFILE%\Dropbox.

That's why I'm asking ... Isn't that a setting within Dropbox on your PC, where you can configure which files and folders to create backups for?
    I don't use Dropbox myself. I've barely looked at OneDrive, but I do know that it has a configuration view somewhere, to select which files and folders to process.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    UKR said:
    Isn't that a setting within Dropbox on your PC, where you can configure which files and folders to create backups for?
    Not that I can find.
    I tried creating a junction with MKLINK /J so that the Quicken\BACKUP folder would appear under my Dropbox\Private\Quicken folder. The folder appeared, but the files did not get copied to Dropbox and newly-created auto-backups didn't either.
    If someone knows how to do this properly, I'd love to learn how.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    ps56k said:
    In general, would suggest you keep making backups to your local drive -
    and then later, grab what you want and copy to Dropbox
    This is what I do. I wrote a batch (command) file to copy my Quicken data to Dropbox, and I run it manually once a week or so.
  • MarieBaumann
    MarieBaumann Member ✭✭
    Maybe I'm compulsively over-backing up--to Documents/Quicken/Backup; to a thumb drive; and to Dropbox. How do you write a batch (command) file?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    A batch file is simply a text file which contains commands like we used to type into the MSDOS command line prompt.
    You can find plenty of tutorials online. Search for "how to write a batch file". You can do it in a single line, for example mine is similar to this:
    copy \users\rocket\documents\quicken\qdata.qdf \users\rocket\dropbox\private\quicken

• MarieBaumann
    MarieBaumann Member ✭✭
    Thanks.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel  I realize it is bad practice to use Dropbox for your working file due to syncing,  but is there anything wrong with backing up to Dropbox?
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I use Dropbox for backups and have had no problems.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Me too, but wondering if I am missing something.
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Bob_L said:
    @Rocket J Squirrel  I realize it is bad practice to use Dropbox for your working file due to syncing,  but is there anything wrong with backing up to Dropbox?
    No, that should be fine. I just prefer manual control over what goes to Dropbox.
This discussion has been closed.