Quicken continues to crash - isn't there any help?

I just completed completely reloading quicken windows including the manual process of deleting various files instead of doing it automatically. It worked for a couple of days and same problem is back. Shaded register with login window for quicken ID with no fields to input the quicken ID. Can't do anything . I've reloaded software and get by it briefly but shortly it's back to this blank quicken ID window

Does ANYBODY ANYWHERE have any ideas as to how to fix this problem. PLEASE

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• JanFerguson
    JanFerguson Member ✭✭
    Reboot - no change
    version win 10 quicken 2019 27.1.25.18 - from Programs and Features since Quicken can't report upon itself
  • JanFerguson
    JanFerguson Member ✭✭
    Downloaded Mondo patch executed. No change. Interestingly The mondo patch splash screen said "The version installed on this computer is R1" ??
  • JanFerguson
    JanFerguson Member ✭✭
    2. Validate
    If I understand the directions, I'm supposed to use Quicken to make a copy? I don't have Quicken available as it crashes every time it comes up before I can do anything
  • JanFerguson
    JanFerguson Member ✭✭
    It's like Quicken can't get to quicken .com or the quicken-id and password has been clobbered. The fact that the screen is not populated must tell us something?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you getting any notifications from Windows? Make sure that "Focus assist" is turned off so you see notifications. Do you have any features enabled that would cause problems with Quicken? For example, Controlled Folder Access needs to be told to allow Quicken write access to your folders.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken.
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, for example, from Qdata.QDF to QdataX.QDF
    Usually this file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,
      • When done, reboot your computer and then reinstall Quicken from  your account at quicken.com, your CD or saved downloaded installation file and allow it to update to the latest available patch release level.

• JanFerguson
    JanFerguson Member ✭✭
    This technique of "hiding" the data file and bringing up quicken is my normal technique to get around the problem. Unfortunately, I have reused the technique over and over as it runs for a few days that goes into crash mode again. Something is causing Quicken to not be able to get to quicken.com?

Validate results: Cryptic?

[Tue Mar 10 17:47:18 2020]

File: "C:\Users\donfe\Documents\Quicken\quicken_03-06-2020-1"

QDF:
    Damaged data block.
    Validating your data.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Tue Mar 10 17:49:00 2020]
    Normal security references (up to 5000): 117 from 1 to 117
    Abnormal references: 0 from 0 to 0

Transactions renumbered/highest/set to zero: 0/0/0
    Recheck of highest after renumbering: 0
    Renumbering complete.

Maximum security references after renumbering normal/moved: 117/117

See Q-Renumber.txt in QW.EXE directory for details.
    Validation has completed.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

QDF:
    Damaged data block.
    Validating your data.
    Your data file is corrupt. Possibly beyond repair. You can either restore back to a file that validates without the damaged data block or create a new file. Only you can decide which is the best course of action.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Note that a "Damaged data block" is a Hard Drive error ... not a Q error. It means that after some Q data was written to the block, that block got damaged (any recent PC crashes?) and is probably irretrievable.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    NotACPA said:
    Note that a "Damaged data block" is a Hard Drive error ... not a Q error. It means that after some Q data was written to the block, that block got damaged (any recent PC crashes?) and is probably irretrievable.
    I have never heard anyone make this claim before, so I tend to doubt it. The data in the database is damaged. Hard drive errors are extremely unlikely unless the user is seeing them occur in multiple applications. CHKDSK /R should be revealing.
    It is sadly true that a damaged data block in Quicken is irreparable.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • JanFerguson
    JanFerguson Member ✭✭
    Does the damaged data block explain the symptoms of reloading and working. And then stopping later?
    Is there a way to export /import data so I don't lose everything?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my first reply I pointed you to a Troubleshooting procedure. Have you ever performed Step (2) of this procedure, exactly as outlined? The Copy step of this procedure should be able to recover most of your data (all except what's in the damaged data block)
This discussion has been closed.