Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

BillPay Discontinuance

I've read all your announcements regarding this, but much is unclear.
1. Why is this even happening?
2. If I'm already a Quicken Deluxe users, will I have to do anything like re-enter all of my payees, scheduled payments, repeating payments, bank account register (in my case through Bank of America), etc., or will this all be transitioned and done seamlessly at some point?

Best Answer

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @gresco

I apologize that there is still confusion.  As this time, we recommend contacting Quicken Support directly at 650-250-1900 to clarify what options are available to you.

Thank you,

Sarah

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This only applies to users that are paying bills thru the Quicken external 3rd party Bill Pay service & added feature.
    If you are using your Bank of America account directly and do not use the external QBP add-on, then nothing changes for you....

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
     (I am NOT use my Bank of America account directly. I use the BillPay that's within my Quicken Deluxe.)
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @gresco

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your questions.
    1. Why is this even happening?
    The existing Quicken Bill Pay service will be shut down on May 31, 2020 due to discontinuation of service from our bill pay provider.

2. If I'm already a Quicken Deluxe users, will I have to do anything like re-enter all of my payees, scheduled payments, repeating payments, bank account register (in my case through Bank of America), etc., or will this all be transitioned and done seamlessly at some point?
    The online payees will need to be migrated to the new Quicken Bill Manager. Please take a moment to review the steps and information available here and here.

Please note that scheduled payments are unavailable at this time, We know this is a big concern to users, and we're working on this feature so we can get this to you as quickly as possible. 

I hope this helps to clarify!
    ~~~***~~~
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    But, WHY is the "BillPay provider" discontinuing service??? Makes no sense, so there MUST be something else to this situation.

What do you mean that "online payees will need to be migrated"? WHO will need to do this? Will the migration be automated? Will each user have to manually re-key in everything?

Whole thing seems like a mess and the result of someone being short-sighted. If this is the way it's going to be and there will be no automated means to migrate, along with no "scheduled payments", I will have no need for Quicken anymore. I, and most everyone else, might else well use the online payment features directly within our various banks instead. They're free, so why pay for Quicken!!!
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hello @gresco

Thank you for the additional questions and we sincerely apologize for any confusion or frustration regarding the switch to Quicken Bill Manager.

The Quicken Bill Pay service is offered and managed by a third-party company named "Metavante" who made the decision to discontinue their bill payment service offering as of 5/31/2020. 

As Metavante is a third party company, Quicken is not privilege to the internal discussions regarding why the decision was made, just that the service is being discontinued and will no longer be available after the end of May.

With this decision Quicken had a choice to no longer offer bill payment services or to build a new service, one that ensures Quicken Members would still have the option to pay bills directly from Quicken, even if their financial institution does not support Direct Connect or offer bill payment services through third-party softwares, such as Quicken.

Current Quicken 2017 Deluxe or Starter users who pay for Quicken Bill Pay, will continue to have access to Quicken Bill Manager for $9.95 a month if you convert to subscription now.  You don't need to do anything besides install the Quicken Subscription version.

In the future, NEW Starter and Deluxe users can choose to add Quicken Bill Manager for $9.95/month, but if you are already using Quicken Bill Pay, you'll have early access to Quicken Bill Manager, and receive 15 Quick Pay and 15 Check Pay payments per month.

We understand that this does not cover every Users financial scenario and work is already in progress to add additional functionalities, such as Scheduled Payments, enhanced plans with options for more monthly payments/checks and more.

The already existing Quicken Bill Pay Online Payees will not be automatically migrated or created in Quicken Bill Manager and will either need to be copied using the process available here, or manually re-entered.

I hope this information is helpful, thank you.

Sarah
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Sarah - I don't know who you are or whether you're employed by Inuit or not, but I'm sure you're smarter than the content of your post.

[removed - violation of community guidelines/off-topic/disruptive]
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    gresco said:
    Sarah - I don't know who you are or whether you're employed by Inuit or not...
    Just a minor nit - Quicken was sold off from Intuit several years ago...
    It's just it's own company now....
  • Thomas Borgnis
    Thomas Borgnis Member ✭✭
    @QuickenSarah Can you please find out if the new Bill Manager will allow you to make payments in advance? With Quicken Bill Pay I was able to schedule payments weeks in advance, but now when I try to do either Quick Pay or Check Pay with Bill Manager, my only option is to pay on the day of. I can't schedule anything. This is a real inconvenience, and if that's going to be the case there is zero reason for me to keep my Premier subscription.
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    Quicken can't seem to answer basic questions like WHO needs to "migrate" all of our current BillPay data and IF they will even offer "scheduled/repeating" payments, which was really the MAIN benefit to using Quicken to begin with.
  • Dennis@1
    [email protected] Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    @gresco only those people who currently use the third party, fee based add-on called "Quicken Bill Pay" by Metavante, will need to migrate. Normal bill pay from within the Quicken program, which is a link with your bank via Direct Connect, will continue to function. If you are a Quicken Deluxe user now, and you are not paying any additional monthly fees for "Quicken Bill Pay" by Metavante, you will not be affected.
  • Quicken Sarah
    gresco said:
    Sarah - I don't know who you are or whether you're employed by Inuit or not, 
    gresco said:
    Quicken can't seem to answer basic questions like WHO needs to "migrate" all of our current BillPay data and IF they will even offer "scheduled/repeating" payments, which was really the MAIN benefit to using Quicken to begin with.
    Hello @gresco

I am an employee with Quicken, a Moderator for the Quicken Community and an official representative of the Quicken Support Teams.

If you choose to use the Quicken Bill Manager feature, you would be personally responsible entering the data through one of two methods:
    • Copying the current payee data using the process previously mentioned above.
    • By manually entering the payee data.
    Scheduled payments are not available at this time. 

The ability to schedule payments is on the roadmap and estimated to be available by the end of summer 2020.

Repeating/recurring payments are not available at this time and we do not have an eta on when this functionality might be added to Quicken Bill Manager.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Dennis@1
    edited March 2020
    Quicken Sarah you still haven't answered his basic question which is "Who needs (meaning out of necessity) or must migrate. I find it a bit disingenuous that Quicken seems to be keeping the waters a bit muddied on this subject.
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    Sarah --- I am still confused by all of your communications. See the response from Dennis, which I've copied below. Is he correct? As I've said before, I am a "Quicken Deluxe" user and I do not pay any additional fees for "Quicken BillPay" (at least not to my knowledge), but how can I be sure??? If what Dennis has stated is correct, then will I then be unaffected by all of this??? Again, how can I be 100% sure???

[email protected] answered your question: BillPay Discontinuance
    @gresco only those people who currently use the third party, fee based add-on called "Quicken Bill Pay" by Metavante will need to migrate. Normal bill pay from within the Quicken program, which is a link with your bank via Direct Connect, will continue to function. If you are a Quicken Deluxe user now, and you not paying any additional fees for "Quicken Bill Pay" by Metavante, you will not be affected.
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Dennis --- [removed - violation of community guidelines]
    Personally, I'm encouraged by what you are saying, but how are you sure of this?[removed] please help me (as a casual user). How can I be 100% sure that I am a "Quicken Deluxe" user who does not pay any additional fees for "Quicken BillPay" and that I merely use "normal BillPay within the Quicken program"? I guess I don't know the difference. Again, will I then be unaffected by all of this??? Please help put this to rest.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    gresco said:
     (I am NOT use my Bank of America account directly. I use the BillPay that's within my Quicken Deluxe.)
    ok... just to clarify -
    What version .... Help --> About Quicken -

NEXT -
    Go to your Quicken ---> Account List --> Right-Click on your Bank of America -->
    showing --> Account Details -
    then click on the --> Online Services tab -->  what does it show at the bottom -
    I use Chase as my way of bill payment directly from within my Quicken Deluxe -

• Quicken Sarah
    edited March 2020
    Hello @gresco

My apologies for the confusion.

If you have a Direct Connect connection with your financial institution and pay bills from within Quicken using the bill pay service provided by your financial institution, then yes, @[email protected] is correct, you will be unaffected by this change and do not need to make any changes.

If you have Quicken Subscription (2020) versions Premier or Home, Business & Rental and use Quicken Bill Pay (the third party service provided by Metavante) to pay bills from Quicken, you can continue using Quicken Bill Pay until the service is discontinued.  At that time, your Quicken Bill Pay data will be automatically migrated to the new Quicken Bill Manager service, including the online payee data. No action should be necessary to complete the move.
    • Or, you have the option to transition to Quicken Bill Manager now with 12 Quick Pay and 6 Check Pay payments per month.
    If you have Quicken Subscription (2020) versions Starter or Premier and pay the monthly $9.95 fee for Quicken Bill Pay, you can continue using Quicken Bill Pay until the service is discontinued.  At that time, your Quicken Bill Pay data will be automatically migrated to the new Quicken Bill Manager service, including the online payee data. No action should be necessary to complete the move.
    • Or, you have the option to transition to Quicken Bill Manager now with 15 Quick Pay and 15 Check Pay payments per month.
    If you have Quicken 2017 Starter or Deluxe and choose to upgrade to Quicken Subscription (2020), Users have the option to begin using Quicken Bill Manager for $9.95 a month and receive 15 Quick Pay and 15 Check Pay payments per month.

Quicken 2017 Premier, Home & Business and Home, Business and Rental Property who upgrade to Quicken Subscription (2020) and transition to Quicken Bill Manager will receive 12 Quick Pay and 3 Check Pay payments per month.

Quicken 2017 Users who choose to not upgrade to Quicken Subscription will no longer have access to Online Services such as downloading transactions, sending bill payments, updating quotes, syncing with the cloud, etc. as of April 30, 2020 in accordance with our Discontinuation Policy and are unaffected by the change to Quicken Bill Manager.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Dennis@1
    ps56K thanks for the help. I was just about to upload the same screenshot.
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    Sarah (and Dennis & ps56k) --- This is STILL confusing. Look at the first and the last paragraphs within your most recent post on this, which I've copied below.

The first says:
    "If you have a Direct Connect connection with your financial institution and pay bills from within Quicken using the bill pay service provided by your financial institution, then yes, @[email protected] is correct, you will be unaffected by this change and do not need to make any changes." (Makes me happy.)

But the last says:
    "Quicken 2017 Users who choose to not upgrade to Quicken Subscription will no longer have access to Online Services such as downloading transactions, sending bill payments, updating quotes, syncing with the cloud as of April 30, 2020 in accordance with our Discontinuation Policy and are unaffected by the change to Quicken Bill Manager." (Makes me unhappy and STILL confused.)

These are contradictory, at least to me. Can you folks at Quicken REALLY NOT communicate more clearly???

I AM a Quicken 2017 user, so for the tenth time, HOW (if at all) am I affected???
    BTW, my Quicken 2017 does say I use "DirectConnect" if that helps.
  • ryanblack1234
    ryanblack1234 Member ✭✭
    sarah...so if we wait until quicken bill pay expires all our payee data will automatically migrate to quicken bill manager? But if we want to do it now we have to manually enter payee data or copy?
  • Quicken Sarah
    gresco said:

But the last says:
    "Quicken 2017 Users who choose to not upgrade to Quicken Subscription will no longer have access to Online Services such as downloading transactions, sending bill payments, updating quotes, syncing with the cloud as of April 30, 2020 in accordance with our Discontinuation Policy and are unaffected by the change to Quicken Bill Manager." (Makes me unhappy and STILL confused.)

I AM a Quicken 2017 user, so for the tenth time, HOW (if at all) am I affected???
    BTW, my Quicken 2017 does say I use "DirectConnect" if that helps.
    Hello @gresco

On April 30, 2020 the Quicken 2017 product will be discontinued.  When a product is discontinued, access to online services, like downloading transactions, sending bill payments and more will end and Quicken will become manual-entry only.

This means that you have full access to your data, can manually enter new transactions, run reports, budgets, etc. 

However, you will be unable to download any new transactions, update stock quotes, send bill payments or perform any action that requires "online" access.

More information on the Discontinuation Policy is available here https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

As a Quicken 2017 User, if you do not plan on upgrading to the newest version of Quicken (the subscription 2020 version), you are not affected by the change in bill payment service providers because your access to online services will end before Quicken Bill Pay is discontinued on 5/31/2020.

This means that regardless of the method you currently use to pay bills today, you will not be able to send any payments from Quicken 2017 after April 30th, 2020.

I hope this helps clarify, thank you.

Sarah
  • Dennis@1
    edited March 2020
    @gresco  You have verified you indeed use the Direct Connect method now so don't worry about migrating. However all Quicken versions have a sunset provision after 3 years. All online services, including Direct Connect bill pay, will end at that time. You can still use the program with manual entry of all transactions. To keep using Quicken with all the same functions you now use, simply upgrade (purchase) Quicken Deluxe 2020 before April 30, 2020. Quicken 2020 is now a subscription based program with free upgrades going forward as long as your subscription is current. You can shop around for it. Amazon often seems to have  better pricing than buying it directly from Quicken. Upgrading is very simple just download and install. All of your accounts and settings will come over. Make sure you have a backup of your data file, just incase, before installing. 

"Quicken Bill Manager" is a Quicken owned (not Metavante) monthly fee based replacement for "Quicken Bill Pay" by Metevante which is ending soon. I think you get all the confusion now.

• Quicken Sarah
    sarah...so if we wait until quicken bill pay expires all our payee data will automatically migrate to quicken bill manager? But if we want to do it now we have to manually enter payee data or copy?
    Hello @ryanblack1234

That is correct, yes.  We are fine-tuning the internal tools necessary to perform the automatic migration and anticipate that this ability should be ready and available for Users by the 5/31 discontinuation of Quicken Bill Pay.

Hope this helps, thanks.

Sarah
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    Sarah --- This is now even more confusing. You JUST confirmed earlier that Dennis was correct in that if we are Quicken 2017 Deluxe users who use the internal DirectConnect to communicate everything with our banks, then we are UNaffected. What are you saying now???
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    @Dennis --- But @Sarah is saying these things are NOT available in Quicken 2020 and that there is no migration and that there are no scheduled/repeating transaction features in it.

And, you said (and I thought she confirmed) that as long as we are Quicken 2017 Deluxe and are using DirectConnect, we are UNaffected.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    gresco said:
    Sarah (and Dennis & ps56k) --- This is STILL confusing.
    I am done trying to help in this discussion - and it probably will get closed -
    You have been asked for very specific information, but you chose not to reply.
    The specific detailed answers pretty much dictate which paths are available.....
    Done -

• gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    @ryanblack1234 @sarah @ps56k @dennis --- [removed - violation of community guidelines]

As long as we're using DirectConnect (which is not going away), why can't Quicken 2017 continue to be used? [removed - violation of community guidelines]
  • Quicken Sarah
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @gresco

I apologize that there is still confusion.  As this time, we recommend contacting Quicken Support directly at 650-250-1900 to clarify what options are available to you.

Thank you,

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.