Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Is Intuit Quicken 2014 Home & Business still usable - new in box ?

rkayclark
rkayclark Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in Before you Buy
I have a new (box never opened) Quicken 2014 Home & Business and would like to know if this version is still usable and that it is NOT subscription.

Best Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, this should still be usable. And no, this is not subscription.
    After installation of the software please do this to download and install all the bug fixes for 2014:

Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Subscription is the way for Quicken to ensure a steady income stream so that they can be around and provide you with new functions and features and bug fixes. If they give away their software for free, they won't be around long as an independent "for profit" company.
    Also, Microsoft and their new Windows versions together with new computers and monitors always put a wrinkle into old Quicken versions. It requires constant work by the programmers to keep up with those changes.
    Being able to connect to your bank accounts (US or Canadian only) for transaction downloading requires that you now use one of the subscription editions. The last supported non-subscription version, 2017 US, will go off support by the end of this month (3/31/2020).
    You will need to keep your subscription active for continued support, new bug fixes, new features and functions, and transaction download capability.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, this should still be usable. And no, this is not subscription.
    After installation of the software please do this to download and install all the bug fixes for 2014:

Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.

• rkayclark
    rkayclark Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Yes, this should still be usable. And no, this is not subscription.After installation of the software please do this to download and install all the bug fixes for 2014:Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+
    > When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    > However, until further notice they are still available here:
    > US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    > Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html
    > If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number
    available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.
    ###
    Thanx for the info, UKR! That helps with the 2014 version. Currently I'm running 2012. What advantage if any would there be for my upgrading? One more ? if I may! Is the only advantage of buying subscriptions for Quicken making Quicken and my financial institutions able to communicate with each other?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Subscription is the way for Quicken to ensure a steady income stream so that they can be around and provide you with new functions and features and bug fixes. If they give away their software for free, they won't be around long as an independent "for profit" company.
    Also, Microsoft and their new Windows versions together with new computers and monitors always put a wrinkle into old Quicken versions. It requires constant work by the programmers to keep up with those changes.
    Being able to connect to your bank accounts (US or Canadian only) for transaction downloading requires that you now use one of the subscription editions. The last supported non-subscription version, 2017 US, will go off support by the end of this month (3/31/2020).
    You will need to keep your subscription active for continued support, new bug fixes, new features and functions, and transaction download capability.
  • rkayclark
    rkayclark Member ✭✭
    Thanx for the additional info!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rkayclark said:
    I have a new (box never opened) Quicken 2014 Home & Business and would like to know if this version is still usable and that it is NOT subscription.
    Just to clarify - how do you plan on using it ?
    Are you going to enter all transactions manually ?
    Do you expect to connect to any banks or brokerages for downloading transactions, accounts, stocks, mutual funds, etc  -

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • rkayclark
    rkayclark Member ✭✭
    Thanx for the questions to my question! I've received the help I needed from UKR!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be aware that you'll need to sign-in with a Quicken ID/password which was introduced in 2014.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    @rkayclark I know you said your questions were answered, but I would not recommend QW2014.
    The last best pre-subscription version of QWin was 2013, before Quicken moved to a newer version of Microsoft .NET in QW2014. That move broke a lot of things, some of which were not fixed until later years.
    Also the Quicken ID will prove to be a pain. Introduced in 2014, it was originally an Intuit ID until Intuit sold off Quicken, then it became a Quicken ID.
    If you're currently OK with QW2012 and don't need any of the online functions, stay there or move to QW2013. If you need online and/or want things like current tax rates, update to the subscription.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.