Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

two bank accounts quicken is confused

cartercarter Member ✭✭
I have two accounts at the bank. I want to do online updates on one and not the other. When setting it up for online access, Quicken got the wrong account. I have tried to reset the account and other corrections but I can't seem to remove the account I don't want to online update. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tagged:

Answers

• FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @carter,

For the account that is setup for online access (but you don't want it to be) - have you tried the following:
    1) Open the account in Quicken;
    2) Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen and select "Edit account details";
    3) Click on the "online Services" tab at the top of the pop-up;
    4) Click on the "Deactivate" button;
    5) In the next pop-up screen - select "Yes";
    6) Click on "OK" to close the "Account Details" pop-up.

Let me know how this goes and get back to me if you have any follow-up questions.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R26.23 - Build 27.1.26.23  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 1909
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12
    "Quicken got the wrong account."
    When you attempted to set up the one Account where you wanted the Account to link to the Financial Institution (FI) you entered into Quicken your user ID and password.  Quicken then logged into the FI and found however many accounts that it could that could be seen using that combination of ID and password, and listed them out.  Next to each account there's a drop-down list of actions you could take with respect to each account at the FI.
    1. You could choose to Add the account into Quicken.  This is the choice to make if the Account had not been previously set up in Quicken.  You'd give this new Account a "nickname" (the Account's name in Quicken), Quicken would create the new Account and the Account would be linked to the FI.
    2. You could choose to Link the account into an already existing Account in Quicken.  This is the choice to make if you'd previously set up the Account in Quicken but previously ran it as a manual Account.  Quicken would provide a list of all the Quicken Accounts you might link to, and you make your selection.
    3. You could choose to Ignore the account in Quicken.  In this case it wouldn't matter if the Account was was established in Quicken or not.  Either way you're not going to get information about that account from the FI.
    It appears to me that you either chose to Link and linked the account at the FI to the wrong Account in Quicken or chose to Add and linked the wrong account at the FI to the new Account in Quicken.
    You should be able to Deactivate the Account in Quicken that's linked to the wrong account at the FI.  Then go to the Account where you do want to be able to download information, or start the process of adding the Account in Quicken if it's not already there.  In either case make sure that you either Link the (previously existing) Account to the correct account at the FI, or Add the correct Account into Quicken that matches the correct account at the FI.
  • cartercarter Member ✭✭
    I have tried this procedure more than once. Deactivate and then setup again. During the setup with the bank, it only shows the account I want to link to and the setup is successful. But when I try do the online update for all accounts, it works for the correct account and gives me an error on the bad account. Its stuck somewhere in Quicken.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    edited March 20
    Hello @carter

Thank you for attempting the suggested steps although I apologize that issues are persisting.

Are there perhaps any "hidden" accounts that are still active for downloads?

If you aren't sure, please open Quicken, go to the Tools menu > Account List and in the lower left corner of the Account List window, is there a checkbox for "Hidden Accounts"?

If so, please check the box and then re-check the list of accounts for any that might still be connected.

If there are no hidden accounts still active for downloads, and you haven't already, I would next recommend performing a Validate & Repair on the data file.

To do so, go to the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair.  In the window that opens, mark the "validate file" box only and click OK.

When the process has completed, a data log will open in Notepad, this log may be closed or saved for later, but when ready, please close and re-open Quicken.

With Quicken open once again, go to the Tools menu > One Step Update Summary.

At the bottom of the One Step Update Summary window, please check the "show just the last update" box, then close the summary window and run the One Step Update.

Do you still receive an error for the "bad" account?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • cartercarter Member ✭✭
    This is a new file and there are no hidden accounts. This happened when I tried to create online service for a single account.
    I did the validate and repair. After I tried a full update and I'm getting the same message. When I try to update the account only. There is no message.
    The message from One Step Update Summary is message OL-304-A. The last update box is checked.
    Thank you for the reply.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for giving us the error code, OL 304 A.
    Please read and follow instructions here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-304

• cartercarter Member ✭✭
    I have gone through these instructions more than once but it does not solve the problem.
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the name of the bank?  Maybe someone who has a similar setup has some insight.
  • cartercarter Member ✭✭
    First Horizon
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review a download log file on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can be found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018+ Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • To start Chat or see the support phone number, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.