Quicken Lost Scheduled Mortgage Payment

I'm on Quicken 2020 R25.18. Since the last update, my scheduled mortgage payment (print check, not online payment) disappeared. I tried to go to the loan to recreate it by editing the payment, but I can't get it to recreate the scheduled loan transaction. I've done both a validate and a supervalidate.

Luckily, I remembered it just before it was late and paid it. I had to enter it manually, and create a manual scheduled payment where I'm going to have to adjust the amounts manually each month.

I've been a Quicken user since Quicken 4 for DOS. That's well over 20 years. The behavior of scheduled transactions and the calendar has been getting less and less reliable.

Is there a way to fix this?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the loan's payment reminder has been corrupted.  One way to correct the loan's payment reminder is to recreate the loan account.  I suggest following the guidance provided in: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7164936/faq-how-do-i-convert-a-loan-account-that-automatically-downloads-transactions-to-a-manual-entry-sc
  • cahwyguy
    cahwyguy Member ✭✭
    However, the payment reminder that was lost was not on an automatic loan download account -- it was on a manual loan, and we're 8 years into the loan (so I don't want to screw up all the past data).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cahwyguy said:
    However, the payment reminder that was lost was not on an automatic loan download account -- it was on a manual loan, and we're 8 years into the loan (so I don't want to screw up all the past data).
    The guidance still applies.  What you're doing is:
    1. Saving a backup: press Ctrl + B
    2. Creating a new manual loan
    3. Resetting the existing payment transactions from the original loan to the new loan.
    4. Removing the original loan
    It's really not as complicated as it may appear.

• cahwyguy
    cahwyguy Member ✭✭
    This does not work. When I get to "Do you want to add the reminder transaction", it presents me with the detail of the proposed transaction, I accept it, and it goes back to "Do you want to add the reminder transaction".

As I said: In the latest update, Quicken broke this functionality. They aren't providing an easy way to report it.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cahwyguy said:
    This does not work. When I get to "Do you want to add the reminder transaction", it presents me with the detail of the proposed transaction, I accept it, and it goes back to "Do you want to add the reminder transaction".

As I said: In the latest update, Quicken broke this functionality. They aren't providing an easy way to report it.
    I'm not having any difficultly creating a manual loan with a reminder.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • cahwyguy
    cahwyguy Member ✭✭
    I can't answer why you are not having the problem. I've done a validate, and I've done a super validate. I can't even create a new loan with a recurring transaction. So it is reasonable to assume that Quicken broke something -- after all, it took them over a year to fix the repeated entries in the calendar view. I've submitted a problem report. Until then, I'll just have to adjust each month's recurring transaction manually, for there no longer is a comparable competing Windows product.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cahwyguy said:
    I can't answer why you are not having the problem. I've done a validate, and I've done a super validate. I can't even create a new loan with a recurring transaction. So it is reasonable to assume that Quicken broke something -- after all, it took them over a year to fix the repeated entries in the calendar view. I've submitted a problem report. Until then, I'll just have to adjust each month's recurring transaction manually, for there no longer is a comparable competing Windows product.
    Are you able to create a manual loan in a new data file?
  • cahwyguy
    cahwyguy Member ✭✭
    I do appear to be able to create the recurring transaction in a new quicken data file.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    cahwyguy said:
    I do appear to be able to create the recurring transaction in a new quicken data file.
    That implies it is the original data file is indeed corrupt.  Did you perform the the Copy prior to the Validate and Repair as described in the guidance?
  • cahwyguy
    cahwyguy Member ✭✭
    When I attempt to copy the file, I get "File NOT Copied".
  • cahwyguy
    cahwyguy Member ✭✭
    I tried the advice in https://www.quicken.com/support/message-file-not-copied and was able to copy... now trying the validate and to see if this fixes things.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cahwyguy said:
    When I attempt to copy the file, I get "File NOT Copied".
    I suggest you try to find a data file backup, when restored, is able to be copied (File > File Operations > Copy...).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    cahwyguy said:
    I tried the advice in https://www.quicken.com/support/message-file-not-copied and was able to copy... now trying the validate and to see if this fixes things.
    The issue with this approach is that you may lose data.  If you find a good backup, it may be easier to recover as you'll know the since when of any missing data.
  • cahwyguy
    cahwyguy Member ✭✭
    After the validate, and recreating my paycheck scheduled transaction (that was somehow lost during the transfer), I was able to create the loan recurring transaction. I'll be on the lookout for what other recurring transactions may have been lost; hopefully, no other data was lost. Next up: Renaming files
  • cahwyguy
    cahwyguy Member ✭✭
    Note that the issue with going from a good backup is that then you have to recreate everything since the date of the backup, which is also a pain.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cahwyguy said:
    After the validate, and recreating my paycheck scheduled transaction (that was somehow lost during the transfer), I was able to create the loan recurring transaction. I'll be on the lookout for what other recurring transactions may have been lost; hopefully, no other data was lost. Next up: Renaming files
    I suggest printing all of the account registers to text files from the old data file and the new data file and using a text file comparison tool to help identify what may be missing.
  • cahwyguy
    cahwyguy Member ✭✭
    I know my file well enough to determine what got lost. A payroll recurring transactions. A lot of passwords for automatic downloading (all fixed now). Stock quotes, especially for savings bonds, which I can recreate.

This is probably more reliable than restoring from backup, as any backup likely had this corruption in it going back a long time, and it finally manifested itself. I've had the problem of repeating entries in the calendar for over a year, and that just resolved.