Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Backups and File Conversion (Windows)

Since 2019 is unstable, shouldn't the installation conduct auto-backup

I recently installed 2019 to upgrade from 2017. 2019 converted my file (after claiming my data was safe), corrupted it, and was so unstable the software would not open. I've since had to roll back to 2017 and recover from a backup since 2019 corrupted my data during conversion. Rather than putting the onus on the customer to diligently make a backup copy instead of trusting the software's claim that data will be safe... why doesn't the installation process simply make a copy (Edited- Language) of the customer's data before converting! How difficult would it be to code that small step into the installation process so that you can stand by your claim of keeping data safe.
Tagged:

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13
    If you're on a version that still identifies itself as "Quicken 2019" (click Help / About Quicken), you are missing a bunch of bug fixes (patch files).

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13
    rick.aveline said:... why doesn't the installation process simply make a copy (Edited- Language) of the customer's data before converting! How difficult would it be to code that small step into the installation process so that you can stand by your claim of keeping data safe.
    It does - at least for my recent upgrade to R25.10 -
    The R-25.10.QDF-BACKUP file was created automaticlly by the upgrade process

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • rick.avelinerick.aveline Member ✭✭
    UKR... I downloaded it straight from quicken.com. I assume they at least know how to identify their software.
    ps56k... thanks for your useless screenshot of your backup folder with no context. I'm sure the rest of the quicken community will recognize the fact that you completely missed the feature words "installation process". Also note that my original posting was highly edited by Tyka.
    ps56k... I should also note that according to the tech support person that kept me on the phone for 2 hours today to determine that 2019 corrupted my data, your data file size would fall into the category in which Quicken claims to be above their "recommended file size". Apparently, Quicken has a tendency to corrupt data over time and recommends you not store "too much data" in your file. I'm not sure about you, but after 10+ years of using Quicken, I've never seen any file size recommendations.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13
    ps56k... thanks for your useless screenshot of your backup folder with no context.
    #1 - the special backup file was created automatically by the upgrade/install.
    #2 - I'll leave the file size comments for another thread - it works for me -
    Guess we are done here....

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
    ps56k... the tech support person and I spent 2 hours on the phone today and she told me emphatically that quicken does not harbor that feature for automatically creating a backup during the upgrade process nor could we find any evidence that it had done so.... so what is your supposed knowledge of my experience and the quicken tech support? are you a user of a fruit-flavored version of the software which magically achieves this ability outside of the confirmation of quicken tech who know it does not happen? Yeah... I guess we are done here.
    ps56k... regarding the file size... v2017 had been operating just fine with mine at >200MB without issue... worked for me too. v2019 simply choked on it as it is unstable and apparently is not ready for full release. Your comment confirms that "recommended file sizes" for quicken are not known by even the super-est of users such as yourself.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14
    ps56k... the tech support person and I spent 2 hours on the phone today and she told me emphatically that quicken does not harbor that feature for automatically creating a backup during the upgrade process nor could we find any evidence that it had done so....
    Look at @ps56k 's screen shot again. See the filename with "R-25.10" in it? That is the automatic backup saved by the update process in the BACKUP folder. This is a relatively new feature, so your phone rep may not have been aware of it.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.