Home Before you Buy

Deluxe or Premier - for tracking investments

MountainbreezeMountainbreeze Member ✭✭
edited March 13 in Before you Buy
Does the current (subscription based) version of Quicken DELUXE allow tracking of investments lots or is PREMIER required to do that?

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Deluxe will track investments.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • johncrosjohncros Member ✭✭
    That is good to know.
    I would have interpreted the product comparison chart as indicating that tax lots are only tracked if you purchase the Premier version.
    If you have the deluxe version, are you able to select specific tax lots and assign those specific tax lots to sell transactions?
  • FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Johncros,

Yes, when entering sales transactions you have the option of specifying which shares were sold.

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R28.24 - Build 27.1.28.24  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 1909
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    johncros said:

I would have interpreted the product comparison chart as indicating that tax lots are only tracked if you purchase the Premier version.
     As a long time Deluxe user, I can stay positively that Deluxe does track tax lots.

The comparison chart does incorrectly imply that tracking lots is a feature added in Premier and. by inference, that it does not exist in Deluxe. This is incorrect and misleading.

This discrepancy in the comparison chart has existed for years. I and other users have pointed this out in feedback to Quicken many times. Our efforts obviously have not had any effect. The marketing department either doesn't understand or simply ignores such feedback.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @johncros - If the Schedule D report which can be uploaded into Turbo Tax is important to you then you will want Premier.  But if uploading into Turbo Tax is not important to you, both versions have the Capital Gains report which provides the same data in a little different format.
    Premier also has a version of Morningstar's X-Ray Interpreter and Stock Intersection tool which can be valuable in assessing securities allocation risk in a fair amount of detail.  But I think most investors find the much more basic Asset Allocations graph/report found in both versions to be acceptable for this purpose.
    Maybe a good idea would to subscribe to Deluxe first and then if you find you'd like more analysis functionality you can upgrade to Premier at any time.  Or you can do it in reverse.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R29.12 on Windows 10)
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @johncros - If the Schedule D report which can be uploaded into Turbo Tax is important to you then you will want Premier.  But if uploading into Turbo Tax is not important to you, both versions have the Capital Gains report which provides the same data in a little different format.

Having the Schedule D report isn't needed for upload to TurboTax.  First off TurboTax doesn't upload from a given report, it uploads from the Quicken data in the categories that have been assigned to the right tax lines.

Second even for other tax programs where there isn't a direct upload you can use the Capital Gains report and select the Export button -> Report to tax export file, which will give a .tax file that some tax programs understand (TurboTax can import a .TAX file too).  For the others that understand how to import these sells by Excel or CSV format you can export to Excel or CSV (CSV format is "hidden" you select Print -> Export to: -> .PRN... (just save it with a .CSV extension, it is a CSV file)

Note you use the Tax Schedule report for the other tax information like Schedule B, Export -> Report to tax export file.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW - Well, how about that.  I learn something new everyday.  I personally never upload anything from Quicken into any tax software since I don't trust the accuracy of the data to be good enough for tax purposes without extensive manual review and I think it's much better to rely on the tax forms from the brokerages but if I ever do it's good to know this.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R29.12 on Windows 10)
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW - Well, how about that.  I learn something new everyday.  I personally never upload anything from Quicken into any tax software since I don't trust the accuracy of the data to be good enough for tax purposes without extensive manual review and I think it's much better to rely on the tax forms from the brokerages but if I ever do it's good to know this.

I totally agree with you, I gave up automatically uploading years ago for the same reason.  I was spending hours going back and forth to get it right when I could just enter the numbers a lot faster.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
This discussion has been closed.