Fidelity Not Updating (Quicken removed all linked Fidelity accounts after)

I just tried to do a one step update with Fidelity. The process failed and all of the Fidelity accounts were removed from the Quicken file.

This is a brand new quicken file I just started 3 days ago. These accounts were working. Using Latest Windows Quicken product? How can 1SU remove accounts from the file. That is a serious and egregious error.

I also cannot add them back...so I suspect this is also an issue with Fidelity and the service Quicken uses to pull transactions.

Comments

• Marauder
    Marauder Member ✭✭✭✭
    Now I was able to reconnect but I have this checking account that was linked to a cash management account that I cannot delete....wth
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Marauder,

Can you please clarify - when you say "all of the Fidelity accounts were removed from the Quicken file"  and "How can 1SU [?? assume you mean "OSU"] remove accounts from the file." - are you saying:

a) that the actual accounts are no longer in Quicken? or
    b) that the accounts are no longer listed as part of the One Step Update process - in other words that "online services" (i.e. - downloading capabilities) have been deactivated.

Can you also tell us which versions of Quicken and Windows you are using?

Thanks.

Frankx 

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Marauder
    Marauder Member ✭✭✭✭
    That's right all fidelity accounts removed during 1SU except for the simulated checking account based upon the fidelity Cash Management account. And that simulated account cannot be manually removed because Quicken feels the need to ad interlinking account transactions when it adds a new account. Only I should be able to do this, not an Automatic process. All of this interlinking gets confusing and prevents recovery.

The issue I believe is this:

1) I updated my original Quicken file this morning so that I could plan my separation from Bill pay. This worked fine.

2) I have also created a new file with the same accounts 2 days ago. New file not a copy. An update with that new file failed on Fidelity. A second try removed all of there fidelity accounts from the file. I mean DELETED. GONE...as in the never should ever happen failure.

I am on the latest Quicken Premier for Windows and the latest Windows 10 (meaning no updates are pending).

This should be pretty easy to find...what internal code can delete accounts, and what processes can call those portion of code. Cant be that many. Confirm the bug, circumstances and that its forever fixed.
  • pyieh
    pyieh Member ✭✭
    spent over 2 hours with tech support 2 weeks ago and neither L1 nor L2 can resolve issue. I can no longer connect to Fidelity. Quicken Premier R25.21 on Windows 10 Professional.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @pyieh,

Sorry to hear this problem continues for you.

Did Quicken also "remove" your Fidelity accounts from Quicken?

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • pyieh
    pyieh Member ✭✭
    no it did not. I just deactivated them and then try to reactivate. I also use a brand new file and try to add the accounts and no luck. The add account feature will let me go through the login dialog box and then I get the forever spinning green wheels...
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the Fidelity accounts first began having issues, did you get any error codes in Quicken?  Also can you confirm that you can access your accounts online (outside of Quicken) without any problems?

Frankx

• Marauder
    Marauder Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have 6 Fidelity accounts. I added all of them as brokerage accounts. What I discovered is that I told Quicken that 3 of them were 401k. I did so after they were added and this altered how Quicken communicates with Fidelity when doing 1SU. Essentially, once I made this change the errors began and I could not fix other than to drop and re-add the accounts. Not sure if this is the same issue for others but thought I would mention.

Unrelated to Quicken I have issues syncing a fidelity account with Quickbooks. In that case, the time of day seems to make a difference. Weekdays are successful but Saturday seems more problematic. Since this product is based on the technology I thought I would mention it.
  • pyieh
    pyieh Member ✭✭
    @Frankx no error code just forever spinning green wheel. No issues access Fidelity outside of Quicken.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @pyieh,

Assuming that the problems continue, and since you haven't been successful with both the deactivate/reactivating of online services, and Q support so far, the only other thing I would suspect might cause this would be some type of file corruption.  You could try these steps to troubleshoot your QDF file https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

However - make sure that you create a backup data file before taking any of the troubleshooting steps.

Good luck!

Frankx

• pyieh
    pyieh Member ✭✭
    @Frankx thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I did all the already. Did Validate and Repair plus SuperValidate and Repair. Didn't make a difference. Been a Qucken user as long as you have....
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @pyieh

Thank you for the response although I apologize that the trouble continues to persist.

As a test, may I ask that you go to file > new Quicken file to create a test file?

Once there, are you able to successfully add the Fidelity accounts or do you encounter the same issue?

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    For your 401(k) accounts, the Financial Institution should be "Fidelity NetBenefits" ... not "Fidelity Investments".
    See if that helps.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Marauder
    Marauder Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have many accounts including ones considered NetBenefits. All load with the investment link. If you log into fidelity.com and see the accounts, then the investment link will work. If not you may need to use the NetBenefits one. Call Fidelity to have separate NetBenefit accounts linked to your regular account.
  • pyieh
    pyieh Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka thanks for the suggestion. I tried that in my first troubleshooting session with Quicken, ticket #7456330 but it did not work. I Just tried it again and same forever spinning green wheel looking for my accounts pops up.

@Marauder and @NotACPA thank you for your suggestions. Before I was able to connect and download from NetBenefits and Fidelity for my 401(k) and investment account s separately using Quicken Premier '17. Something happened after 2/26/20 and I can no longer download through either services. I know that for sure because my historical pricing for 401(k) update stopped on 2/26. I paid up and updated to the latest version of Quicken and still no luck.

I would be happy just be able to connect to a service now.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @pyieh

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details, although I apologize that support was unable to assist.

If you haven't done so already, please take a moment to review the steps for refreshing branding and profile settings available here.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • mcw19312019abc
    mcw19312019abc Member ✭✭
    Quicken has not been working since late January to download fidelity, talked with fidelity and was on the phone with support staff for 2 1/2 hours and walked through a number of checks in which they all failed to work, any chance your working on a fix?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Fidelity has been working fine for me and I haven't seen other posts about Fidelity Investments OSU issues so it is unlikely your issue is a Quicken issue.
    First, is this an investment account or a credit card account?  There are separate FI's for each and if your online services are set up with the wrong FI you won't be able to download.
    Assuming you have the correct FI set up for your Fidelity account(s): When I have had account download issues, one of the following steps almost always fixes them for me:
    1)  Instead of doing OSU, go to Account Register>Gear icon (at the top right of the register)>Update Now.
    2)  If that doesn't work:  Account Register>Gear icon>Account Details>Online Services tab>Reset Account.
    3)  If that doesn't work: 
    • On that Online Services tab, click on Deactivate. 
    • Then on the General tab remove all Fidelity information (account number, Customer ID, etc.) from the top right corner. 
    • Repeat these two steps above for each Fidelity account you have set up.
    • Go back to the Online Services tab for one of those accounts (it doesn't matter which one) and click on "Set up Now" and follow the prompts.  When prompted, be sure to link the downloaded information to the appropriate account(s) you have in Quicken.
    Let me know if this works or not.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.15 on Windows 10)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    just to clarify -
    What type of Fidelity account.... normal brokerage - or Net Benefits 401/403 ?
    Was this account working for downloads - and then stopped in January ?
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Also, please do HELP, About Quicken and tell us:
    • The specific Q product that you're running
    • The BUILD of that product, and
    • The "Valid Thru" date of that product (if it's shown there).
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Marauder
    Marauder Member ✭✭✭✭
    @pyieh I noticed you mentioned Quicken 2017. Downloads with that product are ending soon and I suspect there is an issue with Fidelity in that version. I would recommend that you download and install the latest Quicken. Being on a subscription should mean that when you log into your account through the browser you will find a link to download the latest.

I also recommend stating a new quicken file. File internals are not well managed by Quicken and I bet a multitude of issues are the result.

I did this and have had no issues.
  • pyieh
    pyieh Member ✭✭
    @Marauder thank you for pointing out Quicken 2017 no longer supporting download by 4/30. Hopefully others will take note. I already switched over to the subscription version of Quicken (R25.21) and same problems exists. New file doesn't help either as that was also a troubleshooting step I took several times.

@Quicken_Tyka thanks for the new suggestion it did not work. Forever spinning green wheel looking for my accounts still pop up.
  • mcw19312019abc
    mcw19312019abc Member ✭✭
    I am using quicken Premier, windows 10, r25.21 build 27.1.25.21
    The last download was January 27th, and after that date, it quite downloading. I was on the phone with quicken support for 2.5 hours and they had me create new files, a test file and rebuild and do file operations, attempting to load our three accounts into a test file, all of which failed. All three account are with fidelity
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mcw19312019abc said:. All three account are with fidelity
    Again -
    what type of account.... Fidelity Investment or Fidelity Net Benefit ?

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • mcw19312019abc
    mcw19312019abc Member ✭✭
    fidelity investments
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @mcw19312019abc - You didn't provide any details of the "file operations" you performed.  Exactly what did you do?
    Also, did you try completing the procedure I spelled out above?
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.15 on Windows 10)
  • mcw19312019abc
    mcw19312019abc Member ✭✭
    Proceedures included making a new copy of file. The file operations included validate and repair and made a copy.. Made a new file with no accounts in it as a test and attempted to add fidelity accounts to that file, that failed. Received numerus black screens as it was attempting to access fidelity. Ran validate reports and checked for missing transactions or errors, none showed up.. I have been a user since 2001. I have upgraded across a number of window version
  • mcw19312019abc
    mcw19312019abc Member ✭✭
    file is stored in folder called quicken2004. file size is 116,372 KB, and I am administrator for the computer.
  • mcw19312019abc
    mcw19312019abc Member ✭✭
    I went into each account and deactivate online services using both the navigation wheel (edit account details) and by right clicking on the account name.
    Went into tools, one-step update (all accounts) and removed them from the list of accounts scheduled for updates.

Many years ago, quicken support helped me before by telling me about a log file that tracked and registered all the accounts scheduled for online update and they helped me edit it. Seems like this maybe the problem again. It was a text file but renamed for the application. They walked me through editing out the bad or missing code.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi @mcw19312019abc ,

Have you tried adding "fidelity investments " to a Brand New Quicken Data File?

You wrote above: "attempting to load our three accounts into a test file, all of which failed. All three account are with fidelity "

When you visit "fidelity investments " website using your Browser of choice, do you see all Accounts using a Single Login, without being redirected to another website.?

Is there a third-party access at "fidelity investments " website, which you can disable? Once disable Sign out of the website and close the Browser.

Now re-visit "fidelity investments " Website. Sign in and now Re-enable 3rd party access.

Schwab has it, and maybe "fidelity investments " website does as well.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R33.24  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21390.1010
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19043.1052

Note: Holding Down the Shift Key or Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when clicking About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.