Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Can't edit an Idea in Community

This is a bug but didn't know where to report it. I created a New Topic under Product Suggestions but when I try editing it and hit Save, I can error Format Not Found
Tagged:

Comments

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I want to edit when I have left off information or got something wrong. When I click on gear and edit, make my change and press save comment- I get a "format not found" orange banner message? All I can do is cancel to get out of it.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @Divemaster

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. 

We will need a bit more information to be able to assist. Please take a moment to review the information here and post back with the year and version of Quicken you are currently running.

Where is this issue occurring? Is this in an account in the register? 

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

~~~***~~~
  • TheLogicEscapesMe
    TheLogicEscapesMe Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka what @Divemaster is describing is a problem with this forum for new users.

You can reproduce this problem by creating a new user, and then submit a comment on a thread. Now you will see the settings/gear icon in that comment. Select it and there is an option to Edit the comment. Select that and edit your comment. Now select to submit those changes. You will now get the error @Divemaster is describing.
  • TheLogicEscapesMe
    TheLogicEscapesMe Member ✭✭✭
    Here is a screenshot for editing the message above.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the record ... I took the liberty of adding "when creating Community post" to the title, for clarity.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Thank you all for reporting this issue and providing additional details.

The length of time to edit a post is dependent on points and rank in the Community.

The number of points can be reviewed by selecting your profile in the top-right hand corner.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849424/introducing-community-ranks#latest

I suspect this issue to be rank related, as the reports so far are occurring for profiles that have yet to hit the 51 point mark.

However, I have gone ahead and reported this issue, as the error messaging doesn't clearly define the issue.

Thank you!
    ~~~***~~~
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭
    Not very logical to restrict editing comments for new users of forum? New users are more likely to make errors or omit information than the users with more points. Everyone should be allowed to edit post, especially a new user unfamiliar with procedures. Also, the error message does not help identify the issue. I would like to suggest that all users be allowed to edit within the time frame allowed.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Divemaster  I agree that it's painful to restrict new users to not being able to edit, as well as not being able to post inline images, like screenshots. I assume the reason for this is to fight the scammers who tried to prey on users on the previous forum software platform, but I wish they had a different way of rationing the forum "privileges".
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭
    I'm having this same issue right now. I'm not new to the community, but I don't have (nor know how to get) 51 points.
    - Carey

QW Home, Business & Rental Property - R32.1 (27.1.32.10) Current as of 04/04. These change too fast to keep updating the version I'm on with every update that happens) 
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @imdcareys I just gave you a Like, which grants you a point. :)
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > @imdcareys I just gave you a Like, which grants you a point. :)

Thanks, and right back to you. Funny thing is, I was able to edit my posts a week or two ago, so there is that.
    - Carey

QW Home, Business & Rental Property - R32.1 (27.1.32.10) Current as of 04/04. These change too fast to keep updating the version I'm on with every update that happens) 
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭
    Is there some documentation on this point process and when a person can edit a post? Really a person should be able to edit their own post- especially when new. I only got 32 points, but I seem to make some people mad and get dislikes and abuse. Maybe they take away points for those? I don't ever get nasty or use bad language, but don't always agree everything is wonderful.
  • imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭
    > @Divemaster said:
    > Is there some documentation on this point process and when a person can edit a post? Really a person should be able to edit their own post- especially when new. I only got 32 points, but I seem to make some people mad and get dislikes and abuse. Maybe they take away points for those? I don't ever get nasty or use bad language, but don't always agree everything is wonderful.

Try this: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849426/points-and-badges-on-the-community
    - Carey

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that was interesting.
  • kathy234311
    kathy234311 Member ✭✭
    This restriction is impractical. I'm a long-time Quicken user who doesn't need to post often, but occasionally I need to ask about something. I accidentally submitted a question before making a couple of final edits. Now I can't edit it, which is going to make it harder for the community to understand my question. I don't appreciate this restriction.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes it is a pain, but if you knew the history you might reconsider what you think is a good idea.

In software that Quicken Inc was using before there wasn't any restrictions like this, and the forum was getting filled up with spam from some nasty people that would create tons of accounts post the spam and such faster than they could get rid of it.

It was getting to the point that the forum was becoming usable.

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • judyaf
    judyaf Member ✭✭
    I had the same problem trying to edit a post. (an auto complete phrase inserted a completely unrelated item). OK if you want to restrict use, but why no message telling me I can't? "FORMAT NOT FOUND" is totally meaningless. I will now just make a whole new comment in the discussion, but be much more careful before posting.
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭
    Yes I still have the same problem, if they won't let me edit which seems silly, then at least give me a meaningful message.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    It was getting to the point that the forum was becoming usable.
    LOL! We surely wouldn't want the forum to become usable.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Yes I still have the same problem, if they won't let me edit which seems silly, then at least give me a meaningful message.
    There's a lot about this forum which seems silly. Users have to earn points to do useful things like embed images. Ridiculous.
    The forum is a third-party product called Vanilla, not written or maintained by Quicken. So any issue has to go through channels and good luck with that.
  • DH100
    DH100 Member ✭✭
    I just fell into the same trap, forgetting to post what version of Quicken I was using. "Format not Found" is misleading, at best. Had to search for what it meant. Been a Quicken user for 26 years, but that does not count :(
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, I tried today and it still won't let me edit. Then it is a mystery as to when if ever you can edit? Not logical or user friendly.
  • jacobs
    Yes, I tried today and it still won't let me edit. Then it is a mystery as to when if ever you can edit? Not logical or user friendly.
    According to your profile page, you're up to 42 points. When you earn 8 more, I think you'll gain the ability to embed and image and edit posts for a short time after they've been submitted. This "gamification" of a serious support forum has always rubbed me the wrong way, but it's the way the platform works as well as the way Quicken has chosen to configure the user levels on the forum. 

I clicked "Like" on your post above. That earned you a point! Only 7 to go…
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭
    Thank You.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @Divemaster If you click on your ID in the above post, you'll see that (as of 6:04pm CDT) you havee 43 forum points.
    It takes 50 points to be able to edit a message.
    @DFH100, you have 13 points.
    See the link in @imdcareys post of March 28th
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I wonder if I have lost points for dislikes and abuse? I don't think I ever been abusive, but someone must. I may not always agree, but I do it nicely. Almost 40 years working as system software tech on mainframes may make me a little more vocal, but I do it nicely. I retired in 2006, so a lot has changed since then.
  • jacobs
    Okay, I sped the process up; I liked 7 more of your posts! You're now at 50+ points… behold the new wonders available to you. LOL.

P.S. I'm not sure there's an explanation posted anywhere which tells exactly how points are earned (or lost). 
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Hello @Divemaster

Thank you for the response, you have earned enough points and promoted to "Contributor" the badge can be viewed on your profile page.

To clarify, warnings can have an impact on points and limit posting, however, you do not have any warnings on your account.

An initial warning is just a notice and is for 0 points and will not affect the account.

Are you now able to edit your comment or do you still receive the formatting error? 

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tyka, I am now able to edit.  :)
  • Larry1959
    Larry1959 Member ✭✭
    This is VERY dangerous to disallow editing of ALL posts, especially new members. Newcomers are more likely to inadvertently post personal information (account numbers, etc.) subjecting them to fraudulent activity of others. By the time Quicken gets around to deleting a post or allowing the editing of a post the damage is already done.
This discussion has been closed.