Home Quicken for Mac Reports (Mac)

BUG - Custom reports missing transactions when you delete Payee

ExeterExeter Member ✭✭
So I've searched the community and couldn't find this issue. Please direct me to the correct thread if it's already been discussed.

I'm on Quicken Premier2020 ver 5.15.1

I noticed that some of my custom reports are missing transactions. I tested by creating a new report for all accounts and all categories and all dates but certain transactions are missing.

After much testing & troubleshooting, I've found the issue. I had deleted some payees from the "Payees & Rules" list because I would never use the payee again since it was from travel to another country. The payee transaction was still in my account register. Payees that I had deleted from Payees & Rules did NOT appear on the report.

I was able to create a work around by adding a new payee to the "Payees & Rules" list with a slightly different name and then update the transaction payee name to this slightly different name. And then the transaction would appear in my report.

Just because you remove/delete a payee from the Payee & Rules list, but transactions for that payee still exist in an account register, doesn't mean that these transactions shouldn't appear in a report, correct?
Tagged:

Comments

• John_MJohn_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a bug, but I never delete payees because it might cause problems like this.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Exeter How are you deleting a Payee that is in use? To the best of my knowledge, you can't. If you are pressing the "–" icon in the Payees & Rules list, you are not deleting the Payee -- you are hiding the Payee. That hides the Payee from showing up in lists and reports, but it doesn't remove the Payee from existing transactions. You can only delete Payees which the window shows as "unused".

I think that's consistent with what you've described: the Payee and transactions still appear in reports. And it should! If you could delete a Payee, and Quicken deleted all the transactions using that Payee, your account balance(s) would be off.

If you really want to remove a Payee, you could create a Payee called something like "Deleted Transactions" and then merge the Payees you don't want into the "Deleted Transactions" Payee. That will remove the unwanted Payee name(s), but leave the transactions.

But if you really want to remove all the transactions for a Payee, even though it will change your account balance(s) -- I don't know why you'd want to do this -- you can click on the number in the Uses column of the Payees window, and Quicken will open a report of all instances of that Payee. Click on them one at a time, and then delete the transactions from the register; when they're all gone, the Payees window will show the Payee is unused, and then you can delete it.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ExeterExeter Member ✭✭
    @jacobs Thanks for the info, you helped me solve my problem. So I was not deleting Payees, I was hiding them as you noted, and this was the issue for me.

Quicken's use (on Mac) of the "-" sign to hide a payee is NOT intuitive at all. The pattern of the +- widget under a list is taken from Apples pattern to edit lists. And the "-" means delete. Reference its use in the System Preferences app on Macs.

So my confusion lies in the fact that "-" does NOT mean hide. It means delete. And when you hover over the "-" symbol there is not a tool tip that tells you it is used to hide a Payee.

Quicken should fix this to avoid confusion by Mac users that are familiar with how the +- widget is used to edit lists.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be 100% clear, clicking the minus icon will hide a Payee if it is in use, or delete a Payee if it is not in use
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993