Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Bill Manager quirk....

I have of necessity switched to Quicken Bill Manager from Bill Pay. I am hoping that the functionality will improve and that automatic payments can ultimately be made using the online option. Currently, for a loan payment that I have, I created an online bill for this. I had previously setup an online payment through the originating bank and paid some extra principle each month. If I update Online Bills, the pending bill goes back to the current loan payment amount. However, if I open the window for the loan account in quicken, and then go back to the online bills window, it sees my previously setup additional principle payment and changes the total payment amount accordingly!

Its weird but has been replicated repeatedly. This needs to be automated so I can setup the online bill to pay either a fixed amount of extra principle or an increased total payment amount, and have quicken automatically update the planned payment without having to "remind" the software that I have the payment setup that way, in another location.

Anybody else notice this?

Answers

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon rchaas,

Thank you for posting your observations of the new Quicken Bill Manager. "I am hoping that the functionality will improve..." Yes, functionality will improve over time. Additional features will be added over time as well.

The Quicken team is very actively listening to our users' concerns, and actively working to implement further improvements.

Within the software world, it is common to do a phased-roll-out of major changes, such as the Quicken Bill Pay retirement/Quicken Bill Manager roll-out. It is something of a "How do you eat an elephant?" situation. The answer is "One bite at a time."
    To put it another way, there are rather quite a few moving parts in this Quicken Bill Pay retirement and Quicken Bill Manager roll-out; we need our customers to take specific actions to fully set up the new Quicken Bill Manager, Quick Pay and Check Pay functions. That is a lot of work to start with.

At the moment, we are in an admittedly odd transition from the old Quicken Bill Pay to the new Quicken Bill Manager.

For the moment, it seems you have found an acceptable path forward, albeit not your preferred path forward. Please do continue to update your Quicken software, and to watch for notices in the Community. We are actively working to further improve the new Quicken Bill Manager. 
  • rab315
    rab315 Member ✭✭
    I've setup Q Bill Manager and it seemed to be working ok. However, when i processed payments for the last two online billers i set up, the screen showed it was using Quicken Bill Pay. How do i know for sure whether the system is using the old Bill Pay or the new Bill Manager??
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    For any bills you've already got set up in the old Quicken Bill Pay system, let those bills continue to use the old system. (Please do not turn off the Quicken Bill Pay payments you've already set up.) The old QBP system is still active; any bills set to be paid from QBP will be paid as normal, until we reach the ultimate hard retirement date of QBP this summer. At that point, the new Quicken Bill Manager system will take over. 

At this time, you have to take an affirmative action to trigger a payment to be made using the new Quicken Bill Manager system.

As of this writing - 
    QBP can/will send out existing recurring/future dated payments, as it always has done.
    QBM requires you to take an affirmative action to send a payment via Quick Pay or Check Pay. (So in your case rab315, you can set up new bills to be paid via QBM, but you have to click the Quick Pay/Check Pay button to actually trigger the payment to go out.)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Quicken Hugh said:
    Within the software world, it is common to do a phased-roll-out of major changes, such as the Quicken Bill Pay retirement/Quicken Bill Manager roll-out.
    its nice to read your comments - but this was a normal cut and run with it - until there were all these problems...  it was not phased - just look at all the postings, problems, and issues - feel sorry for the folks that are out there and not on the forum, struggling to make it work...

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • rab315
    rab315 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Hugh. I understood we could use both systems until QBP is cutoff, I appreciate the clarification, it's all a little confusing and overwhelming but I'm sure in time it will all work out.
  • lary
    lary Member
    If I would have known that Bill Manager does not have an online portal that I could enter to manage bills, I would not have ordered. I am switching to another service asap. Very inconvenient when you travel and need to use bill pay and cannot use unless I have quicken on a computer with me.
This discussion has been closed.