Home Before you Buy

Renew or Buy?

HughHugh Member ✭✭
I use Quicken Home & Business and Intuit wants $99 to renew my subscription. I can buy a new program for $79. What am I missing?

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's Quicken not Intuit. (Intuit hasn;t owned Quicken for quite a few years.) Shop around for the best deal on Quicken. Make sure you disable auto-renew.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you are missing is that the "subscription" and the "new program" are the same thing. There is no "buy", there is only "renew".
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • HughHugh Member ✭✭
    I'm not missing that. It just seems strange that I can buy a new download of Quicken for less than what they want to charge to renew my current edition. By buying, you get the same thing for less money than you would get from renewing. An unusual strategy.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other retailers almost always have better pricing for Q than does Q itself.
    Otherwise, why would they sell the product???
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Stevid1Stevid1 Member
    My subscription is up for renewal at $49.95 but I can by a retail version of the same program for $29.95. Can I use the new retail version that I buy and just continue on with another year subscription but have only paid $29.95?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you can if it's the same version. ie: Deluxe Just enter the activation code and your subscription will be extended. Make sure you disable auto-renew.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • JerrYWest_44JerrYWest_44 Member ✭✭
    It is confusing -- I have PC Quicken Deluxe 2017 installed -- when I hit the dialogue box in the opening of tool it has an ad for a saving of 10% it sends me to a Quicken site for $44.99 for a renewal but when I go to the Quicken site via my browser to the plans/pricing the Deluxe is $34.99

Please advise
  • cheli007cheli007 Member
    > @JerrYWest_44 said:
    > It is confusing -- I have PC Quicken Deluxe 2017 installed -- when I hit the dialogue box in the opening of tool it has an ad for a saving of 10% it sends me to a Quicken site for $44.99 for a renewal but when I go to the Quicken site via my browser to the plans/pricing the Deluxe is $34.99
    >
    > Please advise

I'm not seeing that. $34.99 is starter and Deluxe is, as you said, $44.99
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note the price of Quicken Deluxe is normally $50, so $45 is 10% off.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices vary, even on quicken.com. Here is one screen shot showing Edge on the left and Firefox on the right. Q is using some info from cookies or cache or who knows what to decide what to show you.
    It pays to, er, browse around for the best price.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • JerrYWest_44JerrYWest_44 Member ✭✭
    Samsclub has a similar offer at $39.88
  • swinehakswinehak Member
    As a 31 year consistent user of Quicken, I have seen it at its best and perhaps its worst.... its still the best personal app out there..but not a happy place for me yet... simple arithmetic errors, temp double entries.. anyway, I dont want the subscription model for this important app...i'll buy it each year IF the upgrades are usable, and most are not now in the 2020 renewal...All my entries are manual..and thats the way I like it. Then your on-line renewal has no bonus for current and past users...I can buy the disk cheaper in a few stores. Your biz took on a lot of challenges...I hope you can rise to them and serve your customers...as Intuit did initially
  • Lori  GuyettLori Guyett Member ✭✭
    Can I just renew Quicken 2017 starter edition? I don't need all the bells and whistles of Deluxe. I just need to continue downloading from my financial institution, bill reminder, etc. The stuff I have with the starter edition.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES, you can renew "just" Starter.
    BUT, be aware that if you EVER let your subscription to Starter lapse ... your Q data file will become "read only".  Neither downloads NOR manual input will be allowed.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.