Quicken is very slow - becoming impossible to use

I have been using Quicken for many years and yes my file is a big. I am about to quit using Quicken and wave the white flag. I am sitting at my desk for 10 minutes waiting for Quicken to respond, and this happens often. I generally have to close it and restart. Yes, I have rebuilt the files multiple times and checked for errors. That only solves the problem for a short period of time and then the problem comes back.

Quicken support - please fix these performance and reliability issues. You are about to lose a decade+ customer/user.

If you have any recommendations to fix this, please let me know.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    More info is needed in order to assist you.
    What Q Product are you running and what BUILD of that product?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.  If it's available in that same dialog window, what's your "Valid Thru" date?
    Also, do HELP, About Quicken again ... but this time hole down the CTRL key while doing it.  Can you take a snapshot of THAT dialog box and post it here using the "sheet of paper with a folded corner" icon above.
    Lastly, have you tried doing a File Validation of Q?  Take a backup and then, FILE, File Operations, Validate and  Repair.  Any error messages resulting from that?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Andrew Z
    Andrew Z Member ✭✭
    1) I am using recent Windows Version 2020 R25.21 Build 27.1.25.21 valid through 2/13/2021
    2) Picture attached as requested
    3) I have tried/done the "file validation" multiple times. I have also done the "file copy." The last file copy was in January. There are no error messages.

Any help you have to offer is appreciated.
    q.jpg 27.6K
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Andrew Z
    Andrew Z Member ✭✭
    1) C:\Users\abzif\Documents\Intuit Active Files\Quicken Active File - not a Cloud Drive
    2) I do not know, where do I look
    3) Yes, all of the above, but none are touching this drive
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and then running Quicken?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andrew Z said:
    1) I am using recent Windows Version 2020 R25.21 Build 27.1.25.21 valid through 2/13/2021
    2) Picture attached as requested
    3) I have tried/done the "file validation" multiple times. I have also done the "file copy." The last file copy was in January. There are no error messages.

Any help you have to offer is appreciated.

1) Based on your File Information image, your Memorized Payee List has grown too big.

To trim the list and keep it in shape please do this:

• In Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill make sure you have a checkmark at
      "Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months"
      and set [xx] to something like "18". Do not set it to zero. IMHO, you should set the number to 12 or higher for best results, so that once-a-year payees don't vanish.
    • Restart Quicken for the change to take effect and housekeeping to clean up the Memorized Payee List.
    • Check the File Information box again to see the reduced count.
    You also want to clean up the Payee Names in your registers and standardize, e.g., dozens of "Starbucks" entries with variations of "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", etc. This reduces internal Payee Names tables to a more manageable size, too, improving performance.

First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings can be found for the detection and processing of transfer transactions in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you are relying on Quicken to "automagically" fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.

You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary (e.g., to get a payee name = "Starbucks" instead of "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU" or to assign a category) before you click to accept each transaction.

Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.

Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the Autopilot's process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
     - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
     - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

2) You have a large number of Securities.
    How many transactions are in your investment account registers? More than 10,000 per register?
    (Transaction count is available from the Tools Menu / Account List as an optional column. If this column doesn't exist, add it using the Options button.)
    Of the total number of securities, how many do you actually own?
    Please consider doing this:
    • For about a year now, a new function has been available in Quicken, Archive Transactions. It will split your investment account register into two parts, leaving only those securities transactions where you currently hold >0 shares in the active register. The rest is moved to a new Archive register within the current data file.
      Having less transactions in your active register should improve performance.
      Please read and follow instructions here: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-archive-investment-transactions

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    IF @UKR suggestions don't work I would perform the File>File Operations>Copy and super-validate again.  Your Memorized Payee list is very large, but your file size is 320% larger than mine with only 60% more transactions than my file.  There has to be some corruption in it to account for the difference.  The number of memorized payees and categories do not account for much in the way of file size.

My file is 82,938K, 22 accounts, 207 categories, 488 MPL, 560 securities and 37, 389 transactions.
  • Andrew Z
    Andrew Z Member ✭✭
    @markus1957 - I performed a super validate and copy again. It take a long time even to go to account with eight investment transactions in it. The file size did not shrink.

@UKR - I have limited Payees to 18 months. I do not automatically accept transaction into my register after download. Typically I have to rename. I will try the security archive next and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 2020
    My "Memorized Payee List'  is limited to 4 months.  I find that this term covers ALL of my recurring transactions except my 2 annual payments (RE Taxes and Homeowner's Insurance).  But since they're also "Scheduled Transactions", they don't need to be Memorized Payees also.
    BTW, the MPL is read into memory, in it's entirety, when you start Q.  Which is why such a large MPL is degrading, significantly, the performance of your Q.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine - just for another comparison

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • joe kane
    joe kane Member ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread. Over the last 3 or 4 months, startup load times has been noticeably increasing for me. Something has changed recently.  Startup now on order of 8-10 seconds.
    Shift-About screen was a new one to me.start and 40k transactions),  92 memorized payees (and that number hasn't really changed in this timeframe), so not entirely convinced thats my issue... unless loading of payees behavior at startup is a new thing.

• karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭
    Same boat here, never had a problem but after one of the updates had all kinds of issues, couldn't even get transactions to load. finally did a reset or whatever on my whole computer but still messed up quicken. went to a backup and started from there but started having everything take forever. Everytime I enter a transaction I have to wait for it to post. Hope there is an easier solution than above.
  • karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭
    OK, I did the shift about quicken and while my file is larger by about 50% I have way less memorized payees. I was using a file that was located on my one drive so I tried to see if using a local copy would be better but still slow. Ran validate, didn't show any errors or anything. doesn't seem faster either.