Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Scheduled bills & deposit corruption

I'm new to the community, sorry if this has already been discussed.
My version is 2007. When I open Quicken, bills & deposits include up to several hundred bogus entries, date="none", Action = "(auto) edit skip". Validate removes all of them while Quicken is open, but reappear next time Quicken is opened. This problem only appears on 1 of 3 QDF files I use. It suddenly appeared a few weeks ago, otherwise worked well for years.
How can I fix this?

Best Answer

Answers

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to confirm ... you are using Quicken for Windows, version 2007, don't you?

Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (2007), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.

If, after installing the latest bug fixes, a Validate does not permanently remove the damaged reminders, there's not much that can be done in your version of Quicken. Only the latest version of Quicken 2020 appears to have finally managed to get a handle on damaged reminders.
    You can try to open the Tools / Manage Bill and Income Reminders view, click to select one of the bad reminders and use the Delete button at the top of the window.
    You can also try to edit the reminder and "all of its instances", change it from auto-enter to remind me [xx] days in advance. Save. Try to delete.
  • mggmgg Member
    UKR, Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, I'm using ver 2007. Tried them all, but no joy. pgm patch didn't help also could not edit or delete the items using tools.
    I was hopeful, but the results are not unreasonable since I have 2 other QDF files that work flawlessly and the corrupt file has worked 13 yrs, only developed a problem in last few weeks. Maybe the problem QDF has an issue?
    Thanks again for responding.
    Regards,
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please see if this will fix your data file:

Validate your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may eventually render a data file broken beyond the repair capabilities built into Quicken.

Please run this exact procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    - If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019+ repeat the Copy process, but press and hold SHIFT and CTRL as you click File / File Operations / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes".  Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text. Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.
    - Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

- If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may have no recourse but to restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• mggmgg Member
    UKR, Thanks again for your help. Sorry for the delayed reply. My wife is very ill, I take care of her, sometimes no time for anything else.
    I verified and made a copy, opened it. Bogus transactions appeared same as original QDF. Couldn't proceed because my 2007 version either doesn't have "validate and repair" option or I don't know how to access it. I can "super validate" and did so on cpy1. Saved that as cpy2. Opened cpy2, same problem.
    New observation:
    After I open Quicken, many bogus transactions, validation removes those transactions (I don't see them). If I validate again, Quicken reports again that it removed damage transactions. Looks like validation doesn't actually remove them.
    Example report:
    Sat Mar 21 16:31:08 2020
    File: "C:\Users\mgg\DOCUME~1\med~1\record~1"
    QDF:
    Validating the QDF file.
    Removed 69 damaged scheduled transactions.
    QEL:
    No read errors.
    QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And that's where the dog's chasing its own tail.
    Unless I'm mistaken, this problem with damaged scheduled transactions not being removed even though Validate says it did wasn't resolved until recently, in a Q 2020 patch release.
    You can follow this set of instructions to download and install a free version of Q 2013 Deluxe (skip everything it says about first converting to Q 2004, you're beyond that already). Once you're at the 2013 level, you can try to fix your data file again. If it work, good. You can continue to run this version for as long as it runs on your computer. OTOH, this may not fix your file, but if you want to be able to take it all the way to Q 2020, you need to do this step anyway.

http://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

• mggmgg Member
    UKR, I downloaded Q2013, but haven't installed yet. I understand installing 2013 automatically removes 2007. My 2007 QDF will automatically convert to 2013 when I open the file with 2013. Instructions advise not using the converted file (reference only). Instead make a new QDF. What process do you suggest for making a new QDF and transferring all the converted data to it?
  • mggmgg Member
    UKR,
    Sorry, had some emergencies to take care of, been away from the PC for several days.
    I've followed your directions and the corruption appears to be resolved!
    I think everything is good, running Q2013.
    THANK YOU for your time and experience that fixed the issue.
This discussion has been closed.