Reconciling Issues - modifying R transactions to C during downloads/updates

Hoping someone can give me some guidance on few reconciliation issues I'm seeing.

Background:
I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro, with Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property subscription.
Year 2020
Version R25.18
Build 27.1.25.18

Having spent a chunk of my career in banking, I know how easy it is for banks to make mistakes, hence traditionally been very disciplined on doing monthly reconciliations against my bank statement. I typically have Quicken handle the download of my credit card transactions and manually reconcile (auto-reconcile seems to be off and I'm tired of looking for the disconnects).

Most recently I caught up and reconciled my bank account statements going back several months. All good. However, when I ran the update from one of my credit card downloads, for those payments that I made from my bank account (checking) to my credit card they changed, i.e., a few of the transactions on my checking account (Clr column) where switched from R to C throwing off my prior balance in my checking acct for the reconciliation window. If I manually switch these items on my checking account back to R (once I find them) I can put myself back into reconciliation and my prior balance reconciles.

If I recall, when doing any type of auto reconcile or downloading transactions only the current account you are working on or syncing should be adding the C to the Clr column, not the other side of the transaction. I believe this is how quicken used to work as I had never had an issue in previous versions. (I've been using the software since the early 1990s.)

e.g.

checking account paying credit card $3,000

1. Checking Acct x2425 disbursement transaction (payment)*
Transfer $3,000
[credit card x3800]

2. Credit Card x3800 receipt transaction (payment)**
Transfer $3,000
[Checking Acct x2425]

* transaction is already coded R (already reconciled to my monthly bank stmt)
** transaction matches based on download and will reflect C on the credit card account

What is happening is that for transaction #1 above the reconciliation code (Clr column) is switching to C and not being counted in my prior balance on the reconciliation screen. For my years of Quicken use, I'm not understanding why it is changing reconciliation codes across accounts. Reconciliation should be handled independently at the individual account level. I don't ever remember this working this way (overriding previous R codes).

In looking through the various community posts, I understand there is a function to add a password to modify transactions through a particular date in order to lock the accounting period.

I thought this might be my solution, however, when testing the function, it will not let me add any new transactional data prior to that close date. It would seem I must always have all transactions from all my accounts updated before locking the period?

How do I get Quicken to stop overriding my R coded items back to C for the other side of the transaction?

Looking forward to someone sharing their expertise with me on this topic.
Thank you!
Tagged:

Answers

• Hello @LeSha

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on the data file from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

Are you able to reconcile to see if this issue reoccurs after completing this step?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~