Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

After upgrading to 2020, I can't open existing data files

Hi, I am new here. I have briefly checked for this problem here but did not see it. Forgive me for not checking further, but I have been trying to get this to work for an hour and I'm panicking. I was able to open my data file once after the upgrade, but now I get a dialog that says I need to convert my Quicken file. It also says that I have to download and install Quicken 2004, then open it in 2004, then reinstall Quicken 2019 and open it in in Quicken 2019 (The latest version I have on disc is 2018). I've already tried restarting, uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken 2020, did the same for Quicken 2018. I have also installed the QW27.1.25.21MPatch. All to no avail. HELP!!!

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Usually when you see that dialog about .... Q2004 - it means that your Quicken QDF data file is probably trashed and Quicken can't open it and use it.
    Hopefully you have a Backup - or the Upgrade might have created a backup in your /Backup/ folder that can be used for a ..... File --> Restore

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your replies.
    I have tried existing backup files...same thing happens.
    I wonder if it's corrupting the files as I try to open them (bad!).
    The Quicken data file is on my secondary internal drive (D:) in a subfolder.
    I do not have Windows defender (using Avast)..not using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google backup. Everything is resident on my PC.
    I hope the message to do the upgrade wasn't a scam/hack...it all looked legitimate (but then they do these days).
    I can get Quicken to run if I start a new file, but not with any of my existing.
    If I get Quicken to run with a newly created file and then try to open the existing files, the same thing happens. Also Restore does not work.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What version of Quicken were you using before upgrading?
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    2018...from disc.
    This is bad because I have 18 years of data in my files. (No problems with them before the attempted upgrade). It's starting to look like I'll have to start a whole new file and enter my latest balances from statements...If I want to continue using Quicken.
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    With the upgrade, I also ordered it on disc, so I may want to uninstall/reinstall Quicken from the disc when I get it.
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    A little while ago i tried it on another PC and the same thing happens.
    So I know it's not my PC.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited March 2020
    Quicken 2018 is the same as Quicken Subscription (current version). Quicken Subscription (with a valid subscription) should always upgrade itself to the latest version. Where did you here about your "upgrade"? Have you checked your "D:\" drive for errors?
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    The upgrade came up when I went to run Quicken yesterday. I didn't question it because of that...it's not as though I clicked on an e-mail link or something.
    I am currently running a full virus scan.
    However, since it happens on the other PC (even though I copied the files from the 'affected' PC), I'm assuming it's not a drive problem.
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    I tried reinstalling 2018 from the disc. As soon as it runs, it seems to update itself and the same problem happens. If I unplug the network cable and try to install and run 2018, it won't run and tells me I need a network connection to run it.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You need to disable your network connection(s). What version is the upgrade version?

Quicken --> Help --> About Quicken
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    Re-trying to post this comment.....
    Version R25.21...Build 27.1.25.21
    I am _able_ to run Quicken with the network connection disabled and with the newly created QDF. Then I click on File > Open Quicken File...When I select an previous file I get the same error message...must install quicken 2004, then quicken 2019...is there a way to post a screen capture?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Go to http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html and download/install the Quicken Subscription Release 25.18 Mondo patch.

You don't have enough points yet to post a screenshot.
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    I did that yesterday (if we are talking about the same patch) QW27.1.25.21MPatch.EXE but I can do it again. I will await your response before doing it again.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    No, the R25.18 Mondo patch from http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html.
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    Installed this patch...same problem.
    QW27.1.25.18MPatch.EXE
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you tried any earlier backups?
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    Yes, it's the same for them.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What's the earliest backup you have? I would still check your "D:\" drive for errors. It seems strange that all your Quicken data files are suddenly corrupt.
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    I tried restoring from from my external USB backup drive...same problem. But just in case that's 'compromised' too, I'm copying the files from a USB flash drive to a CD and will try the files from there...I know they are not corrupted.
    I have multiple backups.
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    Ok, I was able to open the latest backup from last Friday without error.
    Question: Does it matter if the files: <file_name>_SyncLog.dat and <file_name>OFXLOG.DAT are present in the same folder as the QDF file I'm trying to open?
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    Nevermind...those files are present.
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    Well, I'm in the process of entering transactions since last Friday so I think I'll be ok. So not panicking anymore...I'll save that for this crazy virus thing going on.
    It would be nice to know what happened, but we may never know.
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    Thank you very much Greg and ps56k for your assistance!
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Greg, you were right about errors on the "D" drive.
    It was all my fault.
    After upgrading Quicken, I did a backup of my entire Data folder...Docs, sheets, Quicken, etc...9GB worth. During the backup I realized I had selected the wrong destination. I then tried several times to abort the backup, not realizing that I was corrupting files at the same time. That's why Quicken worked ok the first time but then yesterday evening it didn't. It was really quite stupid of me and I am very embarrassed. I didn't realize until today when I tried to access spreadsheets and other files that most of them were corrupted. I can however, pat myself on the back for keeping multiple backups and I was able to restore all corrupted files and all is well now. Thanks again for your help.
  • 20bobandro
    20bobandro Member ✭✭
    Hmmm, the post replace the drive letter with an emoticon.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, the post replace the drive letter with an emoticon.
    fixed it - you must have typed D with a ":" which is an emoji...

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10