Moving multiple brokerage transactions to another brokerage account

Hi,

Since the last upgrade I CANNOT move multiple brokerage transactions to another brokerage account.

When I try the select multiples transactions by either using the CTRL or SHIFT keys, only the last clicked transaction is highlighted. There is no way to move multiple transaction using the right mouse button key.

It seems to me I achieved that when I was running the previous version of Quicken. Note I currently use ver. 22.35.

Can someone help?

Comments

• williamspl
    williamspl Member ✭✭
    Under "Gear" (upper right side) use move transactions.
  • Yves Beaupré
    Yves Beaupré Member ✭✭
    Hi William,

Sorry for my late reply. I was waiting for an update in hope it would fix the problem. I updated today but the problem still persists. Hence, note that using the Upper Gear does not help/fix my problem.

I have reported that problem to Quicken and have never received a reply. I also made several test and despite the last upgrade release (R225.22) it does not correct my problem either.

I also experience problems with entering investment transactions but Quicken staff never contacted me.

I think only a remote session with an agent will validate my concern.

In the mean time I think this version sucks and seriously consider no renewing after using Quicken since 2008.

If you have another solution, please let me know.

Regards
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi William,

, note that using the Upper Gear does not help/fix my problem.

Regards
     Could you elaborate on "my problem".

I have used the Move Transactions feature very successfully in moving multiple investment transactions in a single step.
    Note that the selection of multiple transactions is done in the popup dialog - not in the register itself.
    Also, this feature, and the Archive Transactions are relatively recent additions to QWin.

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• scott18
    scott18 Member ✭✭
    Yves,

I was able to move multiple transactions between two investment accounts earlier this week. I am on R25.22 Windows 10.

The steps I took were:

- opened the account I was moving transactions from
    - in the upper right I selected Actions
    - in the list that is brought up I selected "move transactions"
    - This brought up a separate screen for moving transactions
    - I first unselected "Select all transactions for the same security as a group in the lower left"
    - then I selected the transactions I wanted moved
    - then I selected the account I wanted to move to
    - Then I clicked on the "Move" button
    - All seemed to work as expect and I hit Done

Hope this helps
  • Yves Beaupré
    Yves Beaupré Member ✭✭
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I should have been a little more explicit in my first post. Your procedure works and it also works on my PC.

What I am trying to do is, to move transactions from a US configured investment account to a CDN configured investment account. I was told it was feasible by just using to MOVE transactions function. Moving transactions between accounts using the same currency works. It doesn't work if the accounts use different currencies. Note however that Quicken behaves the same way validating the transfer but the end result is not valid.

Do you have any ideas if what I am trying to achieve is possible.

Thanks
  • scott18
    scott18 Member ✭✭
    Yves,

I tried this on a couple of accounts I have, and it "moved" the transactions from a USD account to a CAD. The move back seemed more problematic.

I didn't take enough notes to see what happened to balances.

However, I am unclear on how you are wanting this to work. Do you expect each transaction to be converted at the exchange rate applicable to the individual transaction date? The conversion to be at the exchange rate effective at the date of your move? Or no conversion and a USD becomes a CDN?

Frankly, I am not certain how I can see the system doing any of these correctly but I am willing to run another test or two to see what I can create if anything.
  • Yves Beaupré
    Yves Beaupré Member ✭✭
    Hi Scott,

My statement for my US investment account shows transactions in US currency on paper and my CDN investment account statements show transactions in CDN currency.

At start, I configured my US account to US currency, witch means if I want my US account to reflect my statement I have each time to enter "1" instead of the current exchange rate supplied by Quicken (for example 1.34). I now want to skip that step and treat every US transactions as a CDN$ transaction to skip the conversion step. Therefore, if I want to know the value of my US account I just have to take its value and convert it using the daily exchange rate.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,
  • scott18
    scott18 Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure I completely understand but if you set the USD rate to 1 in the Currency file and told Quicken not to download currency rates does that give you what you want?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would venture to say that this use case is totally untested.  What's more I wouldn't be surprised that the US and Canadian versions of Quicken behave differently, making even more unlikely anyone has attempted this before.

The move transactions function was envisioned/designed around the idea of "archiving", not converting between two different currencies.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Yves Beaupré
    Yves Beaupré Member ✭✭
    Hi Scott,

If I can stop currency rate conversion prompt and keep it to "1" permanently, this will do exactly what I want.

Can you tell me how to do this?

Thanks,
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I went ahead and tried this (in the US version of Quicken) and what it does is move the transactions with "no regard" to the currency exchange rate.  As in there isn't any conversion of amounts done as shown below (Top is original transaction in US account, bottom is after move in Canadian account).
    Note there are no "controls/options" for this.
    Signature:
  • Yves Beaupré
    Yves Beaupré Member ✭✭
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info.

Note I use the CDN version of Quicken.

The reason why I wanted to move my account transactions from US to CDN was to stop the currency conversion prompt.

If feasible, stopping the currency conversion prompt and keep it to "1" permanently, would achieve the same goal.

Are you aware if this is possible in the CDN version.

Thanks
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note I sent a long comment guessing at what you are doing, and what I think might be happening, but it got sent to the moderators, so it should show up sometime later.

Note I know enough about the Canadian version to tell you there isn't any way to turn off that prompt for the currency exchange rate.
    Signature:
  • scott18
    scott18 Member ✭✭
    At least for me when I uncheck the "Download currency exchange rates" box in the One Step Update Setting dialogue it doesn't update the currency list. Is this not what you want?
  • Yves Beaupré
    Yves Beaupré Member ✭✭
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for your time and support.

I will stand by in hope for a solution.

Regards
  • scott18
    scott18 Member ✭✭
    Oh sorry, it doesn't change the prompt
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Scott,

My statement for my US investment account shows transactions in US currency on paper and my CDN investment account statements show transactions in CDN currency.

At start, I configured my US account to US currency, witch means if I want my US account to reflect my statement I have each time to enter "1" instead of the current exchange rate supplied by Quicken (for example 1.34). I now want to skip that step and treat every US transactions as a CDN$ transaction to skip the conversion step. Therefore, if I want to know the value of my US account I just have to take its value and convert it using the daily exchange rate.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,

It hard to understand what you are trying to achieve here, but I will take a stab at it.

Your statements are in multiple currencies.  When you look at different parts of Quicken like the reports or the portfolio you would like to see these same numbers, right?

Well Quicken is designed to only show reports/views in one currency (so the totals and net worth make sense).  Therefore it will always use the conversion rates to convert any currency on the report that isn't the currency of that report.

You have been "compensating" for that by basically entering your numbers so that they reverse the currency exchange rates, so that the numbers will appear like they are on your statement in reports even though in fact the totals and such are now garbage.

In other words this would be like making all of your accounts Canadian and entering the US accounts with the US amounts (no conversion to the Canadian dollar).

This is basically the equivalent of what is being done in my example above with the Move transactions in the US version.  I might add it is wrong.  I certainly would consider it a bug.  If I bought a security for 1,000 USD and then moved that security to a Canadian account it certainly wouldn't be equal to 1,000 CAD.

If the Canadian version is now applying the exchange rate while doing the conversion than that might be considered "more correct".

But back what I think is your question. If you had started with all Canadian accounts, and just entered the USD transactions using USD amounts you would have achieved the result you are looking for.  And it looks like at least currently the US version of Quicken's investment move achieves the same thing.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.