Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Drop down / pop up menus are not working

This discussion was created from comments split from: Drop-down menus not responsive.

Comments

• PeterS
    PeterS Member
    I have common version (R22.35 Canada) on two machines referencing same data file. One machine (windows 10 home version 1809) works OK. Drop down / pop up menus work as they should. Second machine (windows 10 Pro version 1903) does not work OK. Drop down/pop up menus don't work, but type ahead fill in does. Seems the menu problem is OS related. Hoping anyone reading this has a solution to make popup menus work on both machines. (P.S. I have gone through the Update process posted by Quicken - no luck.)
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @PeterS,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

If you don't mind me asking, where is your data file stored? If you are using OneDrive or Dropbox, etc, to access the same file from both computers, that may be what is causing these issues. 

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• PeterS
    PeterS Member
    HI Natalie: Thanks for the response. I use Drop box and have for the longest while, certainly a long time before evidence of the pop up problem. I want to reiterate that the application release is the same, but running on two different machines; the application works OK on one, but not on the other. It's safe to say that once the .QDF file is loaded then the location of that file is not significant to the execution of the application. And if it were, then the performance of the two machines would be identical - which it is not. To test the hypothesis, when I move the QDF and DAT files to my hard drive, and run with a local .QDF, the problem follows, so that rules out the use of a remote file server as the cause of the problem. The difference between the two operating environments is Windows Pro, versus Windows home. It may also be significant that the Pro version is running on Lenovo and the Home version is running on Acer. It's worth observing that all instances of the user generated (dynamic) popup menus are affected, not only the "Payee", "Category", but also "Cheque no" fields in account Transaction entry window. Also affected are the User generated popup menus in the investment transaction window where the popups for "Security name", "Transfer account", "Category" do not work, but popups for system generated (static) menus such as "Date", "Transaction type" do work. Although the dynamic popups do not work, the look-ahead auto complete does work, but only after a significant number of characters are entered. Although this sounds like it ought to be enough, it's not: when entering (say) the payee, and if there are multiple similar saved payee memorized, Quicken picks the first one and does not allow the option of scrolling through the list starting at that point. This means the user has to refer to the list of memorized payees to make a desired entry. I'm hoping this additional information is of assistance in solving this troublesome problem. I'm willing to assist if further information is asked for.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a stab in the dark because I'm not familiar with Q Canada.
    Have you checked the user preference
    Edit > Preferences > Data Entry and Quickfill > Automatically open drop-down lists in QuickFill fields
    If it's un-checked, check it and see whether it solves the problem.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not all preferences are stored in the data file. Some are stored in the Windows user level configuration files.

Automatically open drop-down lists in QuickFill fields is one of the ones that is set in the user level config files.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PeterS
    PeterS Member
    Problem Solved: Thank you Rocket J Squirrel:

"Edit > Preferences > Data Entry and Quickfill > Automatically open drop-down lists in QuickFill fields" was already checked.

I de-selected and re-selected, closed all windows and re-loaded the program.

Drop downs were restored.
  • PeterS
    PeterS Member
    Problem NOT solved. menu pop-up pull-down problem returned next day.
    Tried the same routine described before with the preference values but no good. Working on the assumption that the preference values are stored locally and that this file may need a refresh, can some one advise me how I would delete and restore the preference files that are stored locally?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To clear out the config files you will have to reinstall.

What you want to do is first uninstall Quicken and then delete the directories list in "Second" under the Quicken 2017 section (even if you are using Quicken Subscription).
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Then reinstall Quicken. Hopefully that will fix whatever is "resetting" your settings. Note after the install check your settings.

If that doesn't fix it another possibility is the your anti-virus software is blocking Quicken from updating its config files.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PeterS
    PeterS Member
    Hey Chris_QPW: Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't act on them: I figured to do so would require a bit more effort than I wanted to go through especially since my knowledge is enough to get me into but not out of trouble.

But I seem to have stumbled over a fix, but certainly not an explanation: Perhaps you could launch in to provide one.

I work with two displays (one discrete 4K, one laptop SHD). When the program opens in the SHD, all is good. When it opens in the 4K, pop up menus disappear, or if only the data entry window is in the 4K, again no popups.

To get popups both the base window and any data entry windows must be in the 'home' display. Odd but I can certainly live with it.
  • KenPurcell
    KenPurcell Member
    Strange. I also use three monitors. And I have had a problem with the Drop down menus for months. Maybe years. I gave up trying to find a fix. Funny thing is - it works just like you said. I don't even have to restart Quicken, just move the window to my home monitor, NOW all drop downs work. Crazy, but thanks PeterS.
  • PeterS
    PeterS Member
    Hi Ken: Glad it works for you. So it would seem to be a systemic issue, not particular to one user. Thanks for your note.
This discussion has been closed.