Has Quicken documented the new (and confusing) format of the Validate & Repair Log?

In a recent revision, Quicken introduced a more detailed Validate & Repair Log format. But it's mostly jargon. It doesn't mean anything without some explanation. I assume it's documented somewhere. Has Quicken published the documentation? If so, please provide a link. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @Jay Gourley,

Thank you for taking the time to share your question with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

I suggest taking a look at this Support Article for more details regarding the Validate & Repair feature in Quicken.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭
    Hi, Natalie. Am I missing something. All I saw there was a lists of instructions on how to do a validation. What made you think that was an answer to my question? --Jay
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I think the OP is referring to the totally new version of Validate,
    with all the new line items along with the missing "renumbering" log file
    mentioned at the end...
    ---
    [Thu Mar 19 15:57:46 2020]

File: "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Quicken-Files\QDATA-z8"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired Phil CapOne #99X+ account.  No action required.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Thu Mar 19 16:00:18 2020]
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "Schwab-JTD", security "AT&T", on 12/20/1993 that might be missing.
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "Schwab-JTD", security "AT&T", on 2/27/1989 that might be missing.
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "Schwab-JTD", security "Ciena", on 9/26/2006 that might be missing.
    Analyzing securities.
    ---> Here are all the new diagnostic line items... text is vague -
    ---> Some are info, but some might be errors - none here - but can't really tell
    ---> Just have a line HERE - detailed diagnostic info for troubleshooting
    Number of old style Buy/Cash investment transactions updated: 513/0
    Normal security references (up to 5000): 336 from 1 to 336
    Abnormal references: 0 from 0 to 0

Transactions renumbered/highest/set to zero: 0/0/0  <--- non-zero might be errors
    Recheck of highest after renumbering: 335
    Renumbering complete.

Maximum security references after renumbering normal/moved: 336/336 
    <--- info vs  error ?

See Q-Renumber.txt in QW.EXE directory for details.  <--- not there, unless errors
    ... and why put it there, vs the Quicken data folder
    Validation has completed.

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭
    Yes, PS56K, you understood my question.
  • me
    me Member ✭✭
    I'm dealing with a file with a bad transaction and am also confused by the new Repair and Validate. Does Quicken offer a way to decone (i.e. understand) the log file?

That is a particularly reasonable request.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post the portion of the log that concerns you, @me, and we'll try to help you decode it.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭
    Take a look at the post above by PS56k. He marked the new undocumented portions that come after his comment...
    ---> Here are all the new diagnostic line items... text is vague -
    ---> Some are info, but some might be errors - none here - but can't
    really tell
    ---> Just have a line HERE - detailed diagnostic info for
    troubleshooting

An explanation of what that means would be helpful. Thanks.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @Jay Gourley,

Thank you for the additional inquiry, although I apologize for any confusion.

It looks like the Support Article for this has not been updated as of yet, however, it has been reported.

I suggest checking back periodically for more information. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• WMJ
    WMJ Member ✭✭
    Hi, I just ran a validations and recieved all this jargon. It says check Q-Renumber.txt in Qw.exe directory but there is no such file there. Per below the system made many changes and I would like to know what it is changing for obvious reasons. What is happening, don't like the system changing things I do not know about.
    QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Sat Mar 28 08:00:54 2020]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of old style Buy/Cash investment transactions updated: 99/0
    Normal security references (up to 5000): 211 from 1 to 297
    Abnormal references: 0 from 0 to 0

Transactions renumbered/highest/set to zero: 0/0/0
    Recheck of highest after renumbering: 297
    Renumbering complete.

Maximum security references after renumbering normal/moved: 297/297

See Q-Renumber.txt in QW.EXE directory for details.
    Validation has completed.
  • Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭
    Same on Q-Renumber.txt. Windows scanned my whole C: drive for it. I don't think it exists. Maybe it's only created if there's a problem? Maybe messages is wrong or outdated.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    As I mentioned way above - I think all the new cryptic messages are really for advanced troubleshooting - and not for the casual user info -
    Yeah... they should have just added a line.... "Advanced Debugging Listed Below" -
    And, of course, the missing "Renumber" text - that probably only gets created when there is a problem....
    It all makes sense to the programmers - just not when viewed as the user -
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭
    Thanks ps56k. There's something missing from your reasoning. You probably agree with me that it's dangerous to ignore software messages just because you don't understand them. I agree with you that "probably" Quicken published its software assuming users would be that careless. And for those who aren't,... well, the trouble it causes them, serves them right for being careful. I'd like to think that's wrong.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those messages originate from a particular piece of validation code which was formerly invoked via a secret combination of key presses. For whatever reason, the devs decided to fold that process into the normal Validate procedure and now you see the result. No one has ever seen a Q-renumber.txt file, and why they didn't just include its alleged contents in the log is beyond me.
    The summary of this information is now included in Help > CTRL+About Quicken. See the "Securities/Max ref" line. It will show 2 numbers, e.g., 211/297 in @WMJ's case. As long as those numbers are close together, all is well. If you see wildly different numbers, like 211/5234, then your securities list needs renumbering and the new Validate process will fix it.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.