Refreshing bills is very inconsistent

I have had this trouble on and off for awhile, it doesn't seem Quicken Premier is that reliable in refreshing bills linked to web sites.

Here is what happened today, in case it helps diagnose a problem on my part or a bug: I had 4 bills that were in the state of "Awaiting next bill", the stage before they show your balance due on your next payment. These 4 have shown in that state for awhile, maybe a couple of weeks - which is not unusual.

So today, I ran the One Step Update to get any new transactions, and I was sure to have "Update Bills" checked. I processed a few transactions, then I went to the Bills, Income and Transfers page - the 4 were still "Awaiting next bill". Now this surprised me, as I was sure I had gotten emails for two of the firms saying my next statement was posted, yesterday! The 4 were my internet ISP, a credit card, my cell carrier, and my electricity provider.

So next, on that same bills page I clicked the "Update All" - it worked for a minute or so, but still no change to the 4.

So next, I went into each of the 4, one by one, and clicked the drop down that shows "Pay Bill", but I selected "Refresh bill". And you know what? The ISP and electricity bill were updated showing new balance! These were the two I got an email on yesterday. The other two did not change - likely no new statement is out yet.

So "Refresh bill" does something that "Update Bills" in One Step Update, or "Refresh bill" does not. It seems the only reliable way to update and get the next statement is by "Refresh bills". That's not very intuitive and is likely a bug, right? I shouldn't have to do this on every bill daily looking for new statements, should I?

Answers

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited March 2020
    Hello @Don Await,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

The Community may need a bit more information to be able to further assist. Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version/release of Quicken you're using.

Additionally, you may consider validating your Online Bills and letting us know if you receive any errors. You can do this by navigating to the Bills & Income tab and then the Bills tab. You will then click the gear icon in the top right, and then select "Validate Online billers". 

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Quicken Natalie for the reply! Answers:

Quicken Premier 2020, R25.21, Build 27.1.25.21 - USA version
    Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.153)
    Internet connection - XFinity cable, 1Gb d/l, 40 Mbps u/l

Validate Online billers came back almost immediately, and said, "Validation complete. Local bills are in sync with the server." 

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @Don Awalt,

Thank you for providing additional details, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

It seems that when updating Online Billers individually, Quicken is more effectively able to obtain the latest bill directly from the Biller's website. 

You can try deleting and then re-adding the Biller's to determine if that helps to obtain the latest bill when updating via One Step Update, etc, however, updating the Biller's individually may be the best solution to be sure that you are receiving the most up-to-date information.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. This is really very unreliable, isn't it? Why have an Update Bills if it doesn't work reliably? Anyway Natalie, I wanted to let you know, this morning I had another issue. I had a credit card, and it said (as an example) payment due 4/3 (which was correct), amount $100 (which was incorrect). I have this bill set up on autopay at the credit card's web site, and when I first download transactions, the payment came across - $150 (which was correct). So before accepting the transaction, I did a Validate Online Billers - it came back immediately with all is correct. I also did a refresh bill, and it still said $100 is the total payment amount (it is not defaulting to a partial payment. Now when I accepted the transaction, the bill showed as still due - this time, it did not realize the transaction that came across was the bill. 

So I just shrugged and marked it paid.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have exactly the same issue in Quicken H&B 2020 latest updates. Must use Refresh Bills on SOME bills or they never show as due. This was not this way in Quicken 2017 and HAS TO be a bug. The intention of One Step Update is to get these bills.

I am surprised more people are not complaining about this and other "issues" with the Bills and Income Tab. And that Quicken does not seem responsive to these issues.

Don, can you tell me if you ever get an indication that you have paid a bill on the Bills and Income tab and if the "Last Payment" column ever gets populated with data? I am a no for both.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Bob. yes many times it works properly, some times it does not. It seems to always show up as paid in the right pane Just sometimes, it does not remove the entry in the main list, I have to just do an "Ignore" or a "Mark as paid".
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Don. I never see an indication of paid on this tab nor anything in the Last Payment column. Ever.
  • Ronald Burton
    Ronald Burton Member ✭✭
    I am having the exact same issue with manually Refreshing billers to get a bill or the correct bill amount. I do not understand why checking UPDATE BILLS in One Step Update does not Update Bills. Why is the option there if it does not work? Even the UPDATE ALL circular arrow at the top does not work. Having to go to each biller and clicking Refresh for each one, hoping you don’t miss one, to get a bill or the correct amount is not only a nuisance but, negatively affects your projected cash flow. This needs to be fixed!
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree.
This discussion has been closed.