Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Categories under Quicken for Mac 5.15.2

The update to 5.15.2 changed the names of most, but not all, categories for which I have subcategories. Subcategories are fine.

For example, the category that I used to call Entertainment is now

F2657F45-3BF1-483A-83A7-8C7E787CAD66

Taxes has become

2E0CF0BD-3B78-4805-8B4C-D929B851AAB0

Any idea what is going on?

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited March 2020
    Hello @JHN

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

If you haven't done so already, please take a moment to review the steps available in a previous discussion available here.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Rozziem
    Rozziem Member
    me too! Grr!
  • JHN
    JHN Member ✭✭
    I think I know a trigger, at least for me: it is clicking on the update accounts button (for pulling down updated security info, for example). After I do that, the top categories change to garbage immediately.

I keep a "master" copy of my Quicken file on a computer running an older version of Quicken; I won't even try to experiment with that. That preserves a clean copy of the file.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited April 2020
    Hello @JHN,

Thank you for providing additional information, although I apologize that the issue persists.

If restoring from a backup does not resolve this for you, I suggest contacting Support directly for more in-depth troubleshooting.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Support has access to tools and information that the Community does not have, and can best work with you to determine a solution. 

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken_Natalie or @Quicken_Tyka  This problem has been reported by a number of users since the release of version 5.15.2, I believe. Can you check to see if this is a known bug in the product development database? It seems frustrating to keep sending users to contact Support or tell them to retrieve a backup file, when there appears to be some issue with cloud syncing that zaps categories like this. Here's a different thread which had the same issue, and I know there have been others.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Here are some of the other threads with the same problem, just to document them in one place...

Quicken for Web Categories Override Quicken for Mac Desktop Categories

Corrupted Custom categories & sub categories when updated to 5.15.1

Category Name Changed to 40-character Dummy Name when synced (Q Mac)

Quicken 5.15.3 Mac issues with changed categories

This keeps happening to users. The last one was just reported this week. @John_in_NC has at least partially diagnosed the proximate cause of the problem as a sync issue with Quicken Cloud.

@Quicken_Natalie or @Quicken_Tyka: no one knows exact steps to reproduce this issue on demand, yet it seems someone from PD should be made aware of this recurring problem. Right now, all anyone here can do is tell a user to go to a backup (if they have one) and reset their cloud data; Support is unaware there's a recurring issue. But a repeated, demonstrated case of data corruption ought to be something someone on the development team should care about investigating, right?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @jacobs

Thank you for the response and the tag!

I have been following this issue, however, I am unable to recreate this at this time.

To investigate this further I will need a sanitized data file and have been unable to obtain one just yet.

I also wanted to add an additional thread in which this being reported to keep track of them.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20089036#Comment_20089036

As soon as I am able to get a file I will move forward with reporting this issue.

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.