Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Long time user-very confused: new Bill Manager vs. my many "online payees" in qkn windows vs. QBP

Hi,
I have many "direct connect" accounts, like amex credit cards.
I have upgraded Q2017 desktop to Q 2020 subscription with NO issues. All account downloads and bill payments are proceeding as they did before. (good so far)

Questions:
1. I pay many bills from quicken desktop, to many "online payees" (for many years). Do these payments, which I schedule in quicken desktop, require my old "quicken bill pay" account?
2. I pay some bills from the web, "quicken bill pay old". I know I should migrate off of this. But can I keep it going a while while I learn to use the new "Bill Manager" in quicken desktop?
3. I use my joint bank account to pay MANY bills (from desktop quicken, and quicken bill pay). If I add an online bill in the new "Bill Manager", does that force me to change my "online setup" with my joint bank account? I really don't want to mess up what is working now.

Since I use quicken to automatically download ALL my bank and credit card accounts, and it works perfectly now, I am wanting to move very slowly to the new Bill Manager/ Bill Pay build into the new subscription Q 2020.

Thank you for your help. (please be clear what things are connected and what are separate issues:)) thanks

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob said:
    1. I pay many bills from quicken desktop, to many "online payees" (for many years). Do these payments, which I schedule in quicken desktop, require my old "quicken bill pay" account?
    Who is your bank? Do you pay the bank for this service?
    If you are using online payees setup with a participating bank service, you do not need any other service. You can use this exclusively for all payments, not just some.
     user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    I hope I understand you. When I go to my joint checking in quicken, and say "edit account" and "online", on top it shows I download transactions, and below it says "(This account) is set up for online bil pay). So that ability to pay bills has nothing to do with "old quicken bill pay" subscription & metavante? I set all this up like 15+ years ago I think.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on your bank, some offer online payments through Quicken. It was not clear that you are using QBP, which when you mention metavante, you are. So, you have a few options. See if your bank offers online bill pay either by itself for free (many do) or through Quicken. Chase and PNC offer this service for free. The other option is to use the new, albeit still buggy Quicken Pay.
     user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments.
    I was a quicken bill pay user, and the sign on there was confusing as it directs you to different places if you are a subscription user or older quicken desktop user. but all these METAVANTE services are ending.
    The NEW "quicken bill MANAGER" feature is built within quicken software, and payees and payment accounts are all set up within quicken, and do not seem to interfere with existing "online payees" that can pay directly within your bank account registers in quicken (an old function that remains).
    So it seems to new bill MANAGER and the old online payees within quicken are somewhat independent and can be used in combination.
This discussion has been closed.