Home Before you Buy

Upgrading from Quicken Checkbook 2012

The computer on which I use Quicken Checkbook 2012 is getting old and unreliable so I'm considering upgrading. If all that I really want is a newer equivalent of that software to install on my new PC what should I get? I do not want to connect to my bank, credit cards, or anything online, I just want what I currently have on my new PC. So, what should I purchase? Thank you.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently, the only comparable edition of Quicken to Quicken Checkbook 2012 is Starter Edition.  I don't suggest upgrading to that since it will go into READ-ONLY mode if/when the subscription expires.
    After installation and patching, you will need to bypass registration by doing LEFT SHIFT-CTRL while doing Tools->One Step Update.
    Move your data file using Quicken's Backup and Restore to some removable media.
    NOTE: For those wondering, Checkbook was a short lived edition that Quicken actually gave away in some promotions.  It is only capable of Saving, Checking, Credit Card & Cash type accounts and could only import transactions via One Step Update if you paid an extra fee.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Curtis WhiskerCurtis Whisker Member ✭✭
    I appreciate the advice. Sherlock - how do I install CB 2012 on my new PC; I can’t imagine that it is still available for download and if I once had an installation CD it is long gone by now. Slasher - you suggested not installing the Starter Edition, but then explained what to do after installation; of what? I truly apologize for my ignorance to all, especially on such a trivial matter, but being home is allowing my time to work on such things. If honest advice is to just purchase a new version and learn how to use it, then so be it. Thanks again for the advice.
    edited March 22
    @Curtis Whisker
    My instructions pertained to the re-installation of QW2012 Checkbook.

I checked on Quicken.com "My Accounts" to see what was listed down at the bottom to see what was available for download.  It still lists QW2014 Checkbook available to me, you should check there to see if 2012 is listed on yours.

The only products listed for me are the current ones; Starter, Deluxe, Premier, etc.
    I don't think you checked the correct place, it sounds like you are looking at what you could buy, not what you have bought.

This is how your get to Quicken.com's My Account:

Clicking there will ask for your Quicken Id and password.
    Then scroll down looking for something like this:

I think that I'm in the right place, there just isn't anything below the "Address:" line except gray space. Way at the bottom in the very small text area is where I see the current products listing, plus a link to "My Order History" which brings up the same, mostly empty page that I started on. I do appreciate the help and have attempted to install Quicken Deluxe 2013 as suggested, but it is currently frozen and I'm trying to figure out why.
    Ok...Quicken Deluxe 2013 is running on my new computer, has successfully converted my 2012 backup file, and, at first glance, looks exactly like 2012...so this is perfect! Thank you to all who helped.
This discussion has been closed.