Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Printing single checks

Following recent upgrade to HP printer software unble to print a single check. What now????

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the check jam up in the printer?
    Have you tried printing it sideways, similar to envelopes?

If you can't resolve the issue you can use form leaders to feed your printer with a proper 8.5x11 sheet while printing a partial 1- or 2-checks page in normal portrait orientation.

See https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/fsg/businesschecks/formleaders.aspx for an example of form leaders. Check your local office supply store, search on the Internet or order from Intuit.

My 2cents' worth:
    I use Voucher checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11 sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs voucher checks are easiest to use.

When considering your own check stock to use, consider how easy or difficult it is to feed special forms or odd-size partial pages into your printer when making a purchase decision for a new supply of checks.

• Lenard M. HughesLenard M. Hughes Member ✭✭
    I do not want the expense of buying form leaders. The quicken windows software printed the last check of 3 on a page fine until I updated my Quicken software. This really angers me that both HP and quicken do not want you to print the last check now unless you spend more money, like $20 to buy a few form leaders.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not want the expense of buying form leaders. The quicken windows software printed the last check of 3 on a page fine until I updated my Quicken software. This really angers me that both HP and quicken do not want you to print the last check now unless you spend more money, like $20 to buy a few form leaders.

How to Repair Printer Setup:

Try resetting your printer definitions in Quicken and then redefine the printer:

For Quicken for Windows versions 2009 and older:

• Close Quicken
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename the file
      C:\Users\_username_\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config\WPR.DAT to WPR.OLD
    • Now set up your printer again, as described below. The WPR.DAT file will be recreated next time you start Quicken.

For Quicken for Windows 2010 and newer:

• Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Reset Quicken Printer Settings", then click OK.
    • Now set up your printer (see below)

Printer Setup (all versions):

• Close and restart Quicken (might not be necessary, but it can't hurt)
    • In Quicken click File / Printer Setup / For Printing  and visit all selections as needed
      (a) for Reports,
      (b) for Checks,
      (c) for Invoices [Quicken H&B, RPM users only]
      and define your printer.

If you're printing checks, do not forget to select the correct check style.

• For 3-per-page personal size checks choose "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", not "Wallet Checks" (unless you still use some very old stock from many years ago)
    • For 3-per-page business size checks choose "Standard Checks", not "Voucher Checks".
    • For 1-per-page business size checks with 2 stubs choose "Voucher Checks".
    • Canadian users need to choose between 2 layout styles, e.g., old style "Voucher" vs. new style "Voucher - Image ready".

(Optional) If you are printing a logo (image) on your checks, click the Logo button and make sure that your logo image file is still where Quicken expects it to be.
    Also choose the proper features for printing partial pages when using 3-per-page stock.
    Users of continuous forms on dot matrix printers: Be sure to select "Continuous Forms" instead of "Page-oriented".
    Laser / inkjet sheet-fed printers: select paper size 8.5*11", standard paper. Do not use any "Auto detect" or photo print settings.

Make sure that at least one of your printers is marked as Windows Default Printer ... doesn't have to be the one you want to use with Quicken, but you need at least one marked Default Printer

In some of the newer versions of Windows 10 you may also need to do this:
    Go into Windows Settings or Control Panel, Printers & Scanners.
    Uncheck "Let Windows manage my default printer".

After you have done all of the above and you are still having printer problems, please tell us more about the issue. What, exactly, is happening when you print a single check? Are you printing Wallet checks or Standard checks? Have you tried printing the single check sideways, like an envelope?
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hwwalker said:
    Following recent upgrade to HP printer software unble to print a single check. What now????
    What model of HP printer is it, @Hwwalker ? I have an OfficeJet 8600 and would like to avoid an update that loses 3rd check capability. I'm on firmware CLP1CN1829AR and don't know how to prevent an update if HP decides to force it.
    The quicken windows software printed the last check of 3 on a page fine until I updated my Quicken software.
    So this is different; a Quicken update instead of an HP update. @Lenard M. Hughes , which version of Q are you now running and which printer do you have? I'm on the current subscription and I can still print the 3rd check. Do you think maybe you got an HP update around the same time as the Quicken update?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.