Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Need Quicken Bill Manager to work with USAA with two-factor authentication

I cannot get Quicken Bill Manager to handle my USAA credit card.
When I hover over the "try again" link, it says:

We have detected that you are using CyberCode two-factor authentication. Unfortunately, you will need to manually sync your USAA biller in Quicken, and complete a security code each time. You will also be unable to make USAA payments in Quicken. Please visit Help & Support for more info.

How do we get Quicken fixed to restore my ability to pay USAA credit card bills eletronically? Two-factor authentication is standard in the industry, and if you cannot support this then your software is defective as designed.

Comments

• Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi JTK,
    You are using Windows, current subscription of Quicken - what version? Starter/deluxe/Premier or Home & Business? What build and version, please? US or CAN?

When you are trying to add your USAA CC in the Quicken Bill Manager, exactly what happens? Please describe each step. Do you get an error message at all, other than the "try again" link?

We can try to help you more via the Community, but you might also try contacting support directly if need be.
  • jtk.google
    jtk.google Member ✭✭
    Well, at this point I'm giving up on Quicken Bill Manager. It won't work with USAA, it tries to work but always fails with ezcardinfo.com, and the way it works with RCN is always trying to do an express payment for a 3% extra fee.
    I'm going back to my bank's bill payment system (web site) where I can schedule payments, pay anybody without having to do the bill connection quackery (my bank doesn't need my biller's web site password).

But to answer: I added the USAA CC a few weeks ago. That part worked OK, but then it's never received a bill. When I looked at the try again link, that's when it said what I quoted above, which I consider dispositive, not worth pursuing at this time.

Quicken Premier Windows , USA, release R25.21, build 27.1.25.21
  • Precisely the same problem with Northwestern Mutual Insurance, if anyone is interested. It requires two factor authentication and there is no way to set that up in Quicken Bill Manager. Hopefully will be addressed in the future. Otherwise Manager is a huge improvement over Bill Pay in that it actually works!
  • Ralph Celento
    Ralph Celento Member ✭✭✭
    JTK, I have USAA accounts and my update works, some times the TFC will pop-up asking for the code to be sent to my mobile or email. I normally choose my mobile it comes in I enter the code and update proceeds.

Are you getting the pop-ups I'm getting?

I have a similar problem with Navy Federal Credit Union, the update in one-step will not work. So after the one-step is complete, I go to the NFCU account and update from menu bar, this sends the TFC pop-up and gives me 90-seconds to enter the code, works; an extra step is not a "huge" problem more of inconvenience. I would have that then give up on the TFC.

I hope this helps.
  • hrosenharry
    hrosenharry Member ✭✭
    I set up the new bill manager today. I set up USAA without much problem. It found the three accounts and I linked them to my Quicken reminders. I did have to do a verification on my phone. I am posting another comment about bill manager with my concerns about it in general compared to bill pay.
  • jtk.google
    jtk.google Member ✭✭
    > @Ralph Celento said:
    > JTK, I have USAA accounts and my update works, some times the TFC will pop-up asking for the code to be sent to my mobile or email. I normally choose my mobile it comes in I enter the code and update proceeds.

My USAA checking and credit card downloads worked fine. It's the new Quicken Bill Manager that is claiming no support for two-factor authentication after I thought I had set up my credit card bill. Blech.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is going to be more and more a problem as time goes on, but frankly I don't see a lot of hope for it magically getting fixed.

Direct Connect works because it was designed for this kind of work. Direct Connect is really the OFX standard. QFX is just a minor change to that protocol. It has its own server/software and security protocols. And it was designed to allow for non interactive communication.

On the other hand you have a whole other "non standardized" systems that grew up because the financial institutions never fully adopted any standardized protocol for doing this.

So if the financial institution doesn't support Direct Connect the fall back is systems like Express Web Connect where the Intuit servers (Quicken Inc pays Intuit for this service) contact the financial institution's website and gets the transactions from there. What "protocol" they use isn't a standard just something that they have agreed on. So it can be different for different financial institutions. But at the heart the Intuit servers are logging in as you, and as such are subject to the same restrictions. So if the financial institution puts in place a system that can only be done interactive then that impacts how this communication can be done. Right off the bat that means One Step Update which is "non interactive" by default has to now start to be interactive and is far from "One Step". Also originally Express Web Connect was designed to log in once a night and get your transactions, and when Quicken requests them. This was to speed up the process and because the financial institutions didn't want Intuit servers bombarding their system with logins all the time. And so this forcing that way of doing it to change to an interactive update.

So why does this have to do with the Quicken Bill Manager system?

Well think about it, if your financial institution provided Direct Connect and bill pay through it, you wouldn't have any use for Quicken Bill Manager, because part of the protocol is the bill presentment/paying system.

The Quicken Bill Manager system back end is another third party trying to provide the bill presentment/payment, but they face the same problem, no standard for them to connect to your financial institution. And as such they have to try the same screwy methods to try to get the bills by logging into the financial institution through the website with some agree upon format, and still subject to the same login problems. And again they have set up their system where they "pre-fetch" the bills and such (non interactively).

Without any standards on how to do this across all the financial institutions the problem is just going to get worse and worse.

It is interesting to note that a few years back the EU mandated that all of their banks have to support one or both of two different standardized protocols (OFX being one of them). But there isn't any such activity for the US or Canadian for that matter, it is a free for all.

Imagine what it would be like if there were no ACH/wire transfer standards. Well that is what you have for personal finance programs like Quicken and the bill paying services they are using.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.