Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

I have accounts in both Canadian and US currency but for some reason I cannot sync with my mobile

accounts. I had no trouble with this a little over two months ago. I tried calling and chatting but the service person couldn't help me. What has gone wrong with the program?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Then explain what "multi-currency support" is supposed to mean in Quicken.
    The OP can only download from one country ... but the OP can MOST CERTAINLY maintain accounts in both USD and CAD in one copy of Q.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Bob,
    You are running the Windows CANADIAN Home & Business version of Quicken on a current subscription, yes?

The Canadian version of Quicken is designed to use only CAN $. (Conversely, the US version of Quicken is designed to use US $ only.) The different currencies are not interchangeable within the software. The software is not designed to use two currencies in the same data file nor version of the software by default. The function of automatically converting between currencies simply is not set by default, but you can change it to use multiple currencies.

Forcing the software into an "off label" duel-currency use might work to some extent, but we do not expect such a use-pattern to work well, unless you change the default settings.

The recommendation is to use two separate versions of Quicken - one for each country/currency, running a separate data file for each. 

Alternatively, you could pick one country/ 'home' currency, running in one data file, and manually enter all transactions  (after converting foreign transactions into your home currency). Or change the default settings to use multiple currencies for your data file.

With the currency issue resolved, then the software will run as designed, which should clear up the issue of things not syncing correctly. However, we might need to troubleshoot more if there is some other issue which is preventing Quicken from syncing correctly. If need be, you are always welcome to contact support for additional troubleshooting help.

*Edited to be more clear about changing default settings. Thanks for the call out NotACPS.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @bsutton19 said:
    > accounts. I had no trouble with this a little over two months ago. I tried calling and chatting but the service person couldn't help me. What has gone wrong with the program?

The only mystery here is why you say that this worked two months ago.

Quicken Windows Desktop has multiple currency support, but Quicken "cloud" doesn't (which includes the mobile app and the web interface).

With the US version of Quicken you can only sync accounts that are in US currency. With the Canadian version of Quicken you can only sync accounts that are in Canadian currency.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. With the Canadian version of Quicken Windows it is always in multiple currency mode. There is no way to turn it off, and you can't change the home currency like you can in the US version.

Also the multiple currency mode doesn't really affect the "sync" at all. It adds no features to the "cloud" sync. What it allows is for you to add accounts in different currencies.

On the Mobile & Web page you will find that it is the account settings that will filter out the accounts it doesn't support. In the past that was investment, liability, house accounts, and foreign currency accounts because they weren't supported. Over time they put in support for the investment accounts,liability house accounts, but multiple currencies has yet to be supported.

BTW the "Why aren't all of my account listed?" help is a bit wrong since it doesn't list liability or house accounts even though they can be synced. At this point the message can be shortened to just not supporting non-U.S. Dollar) accounts (or Canadian Dollar accounts in the Canadian version of the program).
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • bsutton19
    bsutton19 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the input - while I had no trouble syncing what I thought were all of the accounts, Canadian and US, maybe I was just not realizing that the US side wasn't actually syncing
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    The recommendation is to use two separate versions of Quicken - one for each country/currency, running a separate data file for each.
    Actually, aside from the major lack of practicality, it is not possible to run 2 versions of Quicken for Windows on the same computer, at least not without some technical know-how and work-arounds, so surprised this is being recommended.

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)