Home Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)

Can We Consider Extending Support for 2017?

I recently upgraded to 2020 Premier and and within a week asked for a refund. I was not willing, back in 2018, to send Metavante my drivers license, SS card, and birth certificate for identity verification. I restored 2017 after purchasing the 2018 subscription service once the requirements were known to me and have used that version of the software ever since. Now we have Bill Manager being released with Quicken ceasing support of 2017 at the end of April. I spent several days attempting to re-enter payee information into the new software. It was frustrating to say the least and I encountered many errors in addition to reduced capabilities. My question is, why is this upgrade to an unreliable version of the software being pushed so hard? Support for 2017 ends April 30, but Quicken will not guarantee a fully functioning program until May 31st? If they can extend Bill Pay service through the end of August (due to Covid-19), then lets also extend support for 2017 until Bill Manager is dependable and the bugs are worked out. I am a 20+ year Quicken user, but these last couple of years have really tested my loyalty. Do the right thing Quicken and put your customers first.

Comments

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Extending the support for Quicken 2017 will do nothing.

What is happening is when Quicken was sold they made a decision to have a contract with Metavante to extend support for "Quicken" Bill Pay. That contract is about to end.

There have been numerous complains about this service, and so Quicken Inc looked for other ways to provide the service, and came up with using the provider that is providing the Quicken Bill Presentment. You can tell that by the very fact that is how the new Bill Manager is tied into Quicken unlike the old Quicken Bill Pay/Direct Connect Bill Pay.

Quicken 2017 doesn't have anything in it that Quickens Subscription doesn't have (with the exception of Bill Minder), it in fact has more features.

What is going to stop Quicken Bill Pay from working in Quicken is the contract is going to end, and Metavante will reject any requests, whether it is from Quicken 2017 or Quicken Subscription. Note that people that have a contract with Metavante can still use their accounts on their website.

Quicken Inc would have to extend the contract with Metavante, which would have no bearing on ending support for Quicken 2017.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    I just notice this announcement:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871028/update-3-20-20-quicken-bill-pay-now-discontinues-on-8-31-20-introducing-quicken-bill-manager#latest

So they have actually "done what you wanted" even though they did it in the "correct way" instead of doing what you asked for which wouldn't have helped.
  • The "correct way" of extending the Bill Pay deadline doesn't help Quicken customers who are hanging onto 2017 (with support ending in April) who simply need continued download capability rather than entering everything manually for a month until 2020 has guaranteed functionality. Its really not a hard ask. I used 2020 Premier for a week and had multiple errors that Quicken support escalated because representatives could not correct (all while my subscription clock is ticking toward a renewal fee for another year of a program that isn't reliable to start with). They need time to work out the kinks and all customers need continued support until its done.
    @mamitchell0928

That support was going away anyways and has nothing to do with the the Quicken Bill Pay feature. The contract you agree to say 3.5 years from the time the version of Quicken you have was released. That time is now up. It is up not only for you and for anyone using Quicken Bill Pay, but for ALL Quicken 2017 users. I'm sure everyone of them can come up with an excuse for why they should be exempt from this contract/policy.

As I said before Quicken Subscription has the same support in it for Quicken Bill Pay after all Quicken Subscription isn't "new rewrite" it started out with the code from Quicken 2017 and as they just added features to it.

On the problems with using it. Whenever people upgrade there are always some people (usually a very small percentage) that have problems. It can be a combination of what is in their data file, what financial institutions they are using, and what features they are using in Quicken. In no case does Quicken Inc (or Intuit before) change their policy on expiring support just because of a small percentage of people have problems with the conversion or finding a bug in the new version.

Your best bet is not wait to the last moment and to work with Quicken support and the people here to try to get the problems resolved while you still have a chance to use Quicken 2017 as a backup.

Note that it is still possible that Quicken Inc out the kindness of their heart will grant you your request, but if they do they might in fact find that more people will "hate them" instead of "love them". After all for all this time people have been notified of this and have been upgrading. And now they find that they could have stayed on their old version. If they find that out they might demand that they get a refund/extension of their subscription because it is unfair to them that you get have extended support and they don't.
  • Mark TorpeyMark Torpey Member ✭✭
    Considering the current pandemic crisis, extended tax deadline, and limited access to technical support, is there any consideration to extend the end of life for Quicken 2017 users even until the summer? Please also take into consideration the fact that for almost 1 month, we had limited access to OSU functionality. Also, I have about 10 years of data in my files. Will these transfer over easily?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is that needed?  You can buy Q online from several sources ... usually at a better price and terms than Q itself offers.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    > @Mark Torpey said:
    > Also, I have about 10 years of data in my files. Will these transfer over easily?

They should. The format of the data files hasn't changed since Quicken 2016, so in fact there isn't even a conversion for the data files like their was in the past with Intuit owned Quicken. And yes that means that Quicken 2016/2017 can read data files created/updated by Quicken subscription.

Now saying that there is always a possibility of some people having problems, so there are no guarantees.
  • Elaine GelbElaine Gelb Member ✭✭
    Since even the IRS has extended their deadline, so should Quicken in light of the financial hardships many of us have -
This discussion has been closed.