Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

My quicken 2017 wants to update/change my renaming rules when I download, but I don't want it to.

My quicken 2017 has started trying to update or change many of my entries in my Renaming Rules window when I download my checking files from my bank. Problem is, the "Current Rule" is correct to begin with, but it wants to change it to something that is incorrect. It won't let me change the New Name. It's grayed out. Only thing that I can do is press cancel, but then it doesn't record that transaction into my quicken. I'm not sure exactly when it started doing this. Probably around 2-3 months ago. I had failed to download my files for a while. When I first noticed this situation, I didn't realize it wasn't recording the data...that is till started doing my taxes....This has created a lot of extra work for me...very frustrated. I've been using quicken since around 2010.

Answers

• Quicken_NatalieQuicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @sethgrabeal,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although I apologize that you're experiencing difficulties with Renaming Rules in Quicken. 

What version/release of Quicken are you using? You can find that by going to Help>About Quicken.

If you have not already done so, please see the information and follow the steps outlined here, and post back to let us know if they help to resolve this matter for you.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• sethgrabealsethgrabeal Member
    I am using R19.8
    Build 26.1.19.8
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are all 3 three of these Preferences settings enabled in your Quicken?
    Please also note that downloading services in your Quicken 2017 will expire soon and that'll make this discussion moot ...
    Yes, those thee boxes are checked.

And yes, I was going to update soon.....will that fix my problem???
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings can be found for the detection and processing of transfer transactions in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you are relying on Quicken to "automagically" fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.

You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary (e.g., to get a payee name = "Starbucks" instead of "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" or to assign a category) before you click to accept each transaction.

Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.

Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the Autopilot's process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
     - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
     - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

Ok, I've upgraded....... Like I Said, I've been using quicken for at least 10 years. I've always downloaded my files from my bank into quicken. It has always worked. If my Renaming Rules were correct, then it has always changed the transaction name accordingly.

Now when I download my account transactions, it downloads some of them correctly, but as I download them, it wants to change some of the renaming rules. The problem is that the current renaming rule (the one that was already in place) is the one that needs to be used, but quicken is asking me to change it.

Example....
    Lets say that I have a transaction from "Braums". The Downloaded file includes the name Braums in it along with other random info. My renaming rule already includes the "If payee contains Braums" instruction. But when I download the files, the Edit Renaming Rule box appears.
    It says: "You updated a transaction with an existing renaming rule"
    And it says: "If the downloaded transaction contains these words"
    "Braums"
    Rename Payee Current Rule: Braums
    New Name: Walmart

Their was no reason for this transaction to be edited. The rule was already correct.
    At this point, I have the options to -

"Update Rule" - which changes the transaction to the name I don't want,

"Create New Rule" - which sends me to the "Create Custom Renaming Rule" dialog box. At the bottom of this box it says Replace the downloaded Payee name with this name" and Walmart is listed. But it's grayed out, and I can't change it. (so I have to press Cancel in this box)

or "Cancel" If I choose this option, (which is basically the only option I can choose) my transaction won't show up in quicken at all...It deletes this transaction

When I download transactions, I might have 6 items to download on a given day, but 2 or 3 of them will pull up the Edit Renaming Rule box, and will ultimately be deleted from quicken.

This has never happened in my years of using quicken. I don't know what changed. It started sometime in the last few months as far as I can tell. I didn't change any setting.
    I forgot to mention, nothing changed when upgraded to 2020.
    The transactions that get skipped don't are not able to be downloaded again. For instance, My Quicken has a section from 7/1/19 - 7/19/19 with no transactions. But in reality, their were many transactions in that time frame. When I go back to try and download the skipped files, Quicken acts like they have already been downloaded.
    Ok, I Guess I have figured out this problem. Well not really "figured out", and it's Not the solution I Wanted. After talking to a Quicken help desk guy, we came to the conclusion that I had some corruption in my renaming rule files. He suggested that I delete some of them. Maybe I had to many of them. Did that, didn't help. So I Deleted all of them, didn't help. He said it could be in my Memorize Payee list as well. Deleted it too. Still didn't help. I have corrupted files somewhere.... but where? Soooo, I started a new Quicken file for the 2020 year. It's working now. But......I'm starting from scratch. I'll have probably have to rebuild all of my 2019 data, I lost all of my renaming rules and Memorized Payees......but it's working now. Just a lot more work for me.