Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

How do I change the file location of the _SyncLog DAT File (.dat)?

Currently once I have concluded my one step update, the _SyncLog shows up on my desktop. Is there a way to have it saved somewhere else and how do I change that? Should there be only one or does a new one show up each time I update?

Answers

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move your Quicken data file to C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken. The file is created in the same folder as the Quicken file.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you access the data file in a folder other than Desktop on an internal drive.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again: _SyncLog.dat can appear on the desktop even when the data file is elsewhere. My data file has never ever lived on the desktop and I still see this empty file appear from time to time. It's fairly seldom and seems completely random.
    In any case, a proper such file would have more of a name, e.g., QDATA_SyncLog.dat. This bug-induced version lacks the filename.
    @RandGaston, it's a bug. You can delete the file, or, as I do, let it sit there because it will eventually reappear.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said this before, and I'll say it again: _SyncLog.dat can appear on the desktop even when the data file is elsewhere. My data file has never ever lived on the desktop and I still see this empty file appear from time to time. It's fairly seldom and seems completely random.
    In any case, a proper such file would have more of a name, e.g., QDATA_SyncLog.dat. This bug-induced version lacks the filename.
    @RandGaston, it's a bug. You can delete the file, or, as I do, let it sit there because it will eventually reappear.

If you haven't already, you may want to verify the program is not set to start in the Desktop folder.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    If you haven't already, you may want to verify the program is not set to start in the Desktop folder.
    Yes, this works when starting Q via desktop shortcut, and hopefully answers OP's question.
    I typically start Q via taskbar icon which points directly to qw.exe. I just discovered that icon can also be told where to start, so that solves the problem for me, too.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.