Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Navy Federal Credit Union-2FA

This discussion was created from comments split from: Two Factor Authentication Problems with USAA.

Comments

• isonclubikinisonclubikin Member ✭✭
    I know that, theoretically, all banks should force 2FA. But, because of Quicken, I'm hoping USAA doesn't. Because there doesn't seem to be any way to get Quicken to be "remembered" as authorized via 2FA, I just can't turn it on. Right now, I'm having issues with Navy Federal Credit Union randomly turning on (or trying to turn on) 2FA. If all my banks made that mandatory, I'd have to go through about a dozen authentication routines every time I had Quicken connect. I just can't do that. Quicken and the banks need to work together and find some way to get Quicken "remembered."
  • isonclubikinisonclubikin Member ✭✭
    I asked NFCU about this and got the following as a reply:

"Navy Federal Response 03/27/2020 :
    .... Our 2-Step verification recently has become a mandatory service and cannot be disabled. However, Quicken has installed a work around that will allow your transactions to bypass the 2-Step verification so you may download your transactions from your Navy Federal account to their software...."

So, does anyone know what this "work around" is? I've looked through the forum and can't find a solution. The closest I can find is to use Direct Connect instead of Express Web Connect. And, AFAIK, Direct Connect isn't available for NFCU.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭
    @isonclubikin Have you tried using "Update Now" from the account instead of One Step Update?

One Step Update tends to be "non interactive", and "Update Now" is "interactive" so that the user can respond to questions from the financial institution.

The short cut for "Update Now" in the register is Ctrl+Alt+U
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • efishinseaefishinsea Member
    Update Now (Ctrl+Alt+U) still triggers the 2FA from NFCU.

If Quicken had a work-around, it no longer seems to work. I end up having to cycling through the 2FA texts 2 or more times every time I update Quicken accounts.
    Well I expected the it to trigger the 2FA, but the hope was that once it was done it would then work for you without it.

Frankly it really depends on how the financial institution is doing it, and somewhat on Quicken.

If the financial institution has chosen to force the user to answer the 2FA questions for every login and doesn't have a "trust this device" kind of option, there isn't anything a program like Quicken can do about it. Express Web Connect is basically a server logging into their web site for you, if you are being forced to do it, then a problem like Quicken will be forced to do it too.

Now a lot of financial institutions have a "trust the device" kind setting, which basically the web server storing a "cookie" with a special key in that will read every time you log in, that lets it know the device/web browser/... is trusted.

If this is the case and Quicken stores/retrieves it correctly then that is how you get to not having to enter it every time.

Note that the reason Direct Connect is a solution is because it isn't the financial institution's website. Direct Connect is the OFX protocol designed for this kind of communication. So it is a special server software at the financial institution and it has its own security model separate from the policies of the financial institution's website.
  • xssncoxssnco Member ✭✭
    There is not a month goes by where I have a CC502 issue with Navy Federal Credit Union...Happened again on 3/26, nine days after Quicken Natalie said the issue was resolved…Seems to always occur after a software update which indicates to me the new version of software has not been adequately validated and verified. For the life of me I don't understand why Quicken can't fix this. That's what we pay the annual subscription fee for. Have been using Quicken for over 20 years and it just keeps getting worse and worse...
    > @xssnco said:
    > There is not a month goes by where I have a CC502 issue with Navy Federal Credit Union...Happened again on 3/26, nine days after Quicken Natalie said the issue was resolved…Seems to always occur after a software update which indicates to me the new version of software has not been adequately validated and verified. For the life of me I don't understand why Quicken can't fix this. That's what we pay the annual subscription fee for. Have been using Quicken for over 20 years and it just keeps getting worse and worse...

I would bet that it is only a coincidence that problems seem to popup after updates to Quicken.

Express Web Connect by its very nature is unstable. I have a few Express Web Connect accounts and I EXPECT one of more to give me problems at least in about a 2 month period.

Express Web Connect's "protocol" can be summarized as "Try to log into the financial institution's website as the user, and retrieve the transactions is 'some form', and translate that format if needed, and store it so that Quicken can pick it up (in OFX format)".

This means that Quicken is communicating with Intuit's servers (Quicken Inc pays Intuit for this service) and it is Intuit's servers that do the logging into the financial institution's website servers. It also means that this is all subject to the financial institution's log in procedures and other kinds of website changes that the financial institution might make. And note that even though Intuit gets agreements with the financial institutions on how to transfer the transactions and what format it will be in, there isn't any standard so they have to deal with the fact that different financial institutions might want to do it differently. This in fact determines how stable a given financial institutions downloading is. The more they change their processes and such and even how they decided to do this data exchange determines how reliable it is. That is why some financial institutions seem to have problems all the time, where others can be as stable as Direct Connect.

Direct Connect/OFX protocol is a standardized protocol where Quicken (the program) talks directly to a "OFX server" at the financial institution. Couple the fact that it is a standard with the fact that it is separate from the financial institution's website, make is much more stable. Unfortunately the financial institutions in the US have never fully supported any standardized protocol for downloading transaction or for bill presentment/bill payment.

With addition of 2FA into the flow it has only got worse, and probably will continue to get even worse. In fact it might get so bad that there comes a time where there is very little difference between the user logging into each site manually, because they are forcing it all to be "interactive".
  • lws57991lws57991 Member
    Navy Federal is the only account where I have these recurring problems. Does anybody know why? Maybe I need to stop banking with them?