Reconciled Transaction UnReconciling

Any have this issue?
You start the reconciliation process for your credit card and you see unreconciled transactions from prior statement closing dates the have unreconciled themselves.
In my case all transactions in the current statement are accounted for, reconciled and my balance will be zero. However I see transaction from previous statements going back months that were once with an “R” that are now uncleared. I just finish the current reconciliation and go back in the register to R all prior transaction manually. Then the next month it happens again. Been dealing with it for years and unable to fund the cause. I’m running Quicken 2017

Thanks!

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen this kind of problem reported on here several times, but have yet to see anyone that has found the root cause. I personally have never encountered this problem.

Is this only in one account or multiple accounts?
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • robsquick
    robsquick Member
    One only - my credit card
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well don't have any idea on the root cause, but it sounds like best idea would be to consider is a "corrupted account".

And in that case what I would try creating a new account, move the transactions from the old account to it, and delete the old one. This is the general procedure for try to get rid a "corrupted" account.

You need to first do a backup just in case.
    Next deactivate the account for downloading.
    Create new account and set it up for downloading.
    Remove all the transactions from with the exception of any transactions that aren't in the old account. You can use multiple select to do that (that is explained in the FAQ link I'm going to include in the next step, just use delete instead of copy)
    Now move the transactions from the old account to the new one using this procedure:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7160099/faq-how-do-i-move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts

Once you are satisfied with the new account you can delete the old one.
    Signature:
  • robsquick
    robsquick Member
    Not sure what that would do since I never have downloaded transactions to my credit card account. That’s not a feature of Quicken I’m interested in. Been manually entering transaction for many years through various version upgrades.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well that makes the moving of the transactions easier. :)

I don't know what would cause it, most likely some bug in Quicken.
    Over the years I have had to do the above procedure for a few accounts, it gets even worse for investment accounts.
    Signature:
  • robsquick
    robsquick Member
    Well, I think I'll just upgrade to 2020 and see what happens with next statement.

Thanks.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @robsquicken,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with the issue you are experiencing in Quicken. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Though there are a number of things that can cause this issue-- Data corruption would be my first suspicion. 

The first thing I would recommend you try is validating your data file.

You can do this by following the steps below:

First Save a backup, then--
    File > File Operations > Validate and Repair > Validate File > Ok

Once the validation is complete, you will close the data log, close Quicken, wait at least 5 seconds and reopen it. 

You can also try "Super Validate", which are the same steps as followed above, except you will hold "Ctrl + shift" on your keyboard when clicking on "Validate and Repair".

I understand that with your issue, in particular, the results will not be noticeable right away. However, I recommend trying this first and going from there.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    -Quicken Anja
  • robsquick
    robsquick Member
    I just upgraded to Quicken 2020 so I think I'll just wait until its time to reconcile my next statement next month. Maybe the problem goes away with 2020. If it happens again at that time then I'll try your 'data validation' suggestion.

Thanks.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Great to hear! 

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    -Quicken Anja
  • Hi Anja, I've just had exactly the same problem as Rob and neither Validating nor Super Validating fixed the problem. I had to reconcile transactions that were already reconciled to clear the discrepancy in the balances.
  • Mike6935
    Mike6935 Member ✭✭
    Seems this problem is back again with the recent updates. This problem happened to me frequently over the years and stopped happening the last couple years. In the last couple months it's started happening again. I've had 2 transactions that I know where already reconciled (I balance my accounts faithfully every month) spontaneously show as un-reconciled.

I think this is a software bug.

Wanted to check to see if support/development is looking into this.

Thanks!!