Error - Quicken cannot connect to Internet

rdoss5
rdoss5 Member ✭✭
I had no problem connecting to BB&T using Quicken 2017. I updated to Subscription Quicken and now it will not connect giving me a Quicken cannot connect to internet. I have turned off all my firewalls to no avail. Does anyone know what the problem is before I ask for my money back and find some other program
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Windows ?
    How are you connecting to the Internet... WiFi, Wired, mobile Hotspot, Sat,
    And guessing everything else works fine ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• rdoss5
    rdoss5 Member ✭✭
    I am running windows 10, Spectrum Cable Internet, Wired Connection, Ubee Combo Modem-Router. All other software on my computer has no problem with internet connection.Error is OL-297-A (Quicken is unable to establish an internet connection)
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @rdoss5

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. Has this been happening each time you try to do a one step update? Do you have any sort of anti virus on your computer?

One thing you could try is to sign out and sign back in of the program.

In the top left go to edit -> Preferences. Click on the second to last option that says quicken id, sync & alerts. Once there there should be a button that says "sign in as a different user" go ahead and follow the prompts and sign in again. Try updating again and see if that helps at all. 

Please let us know if this helps resolve the issue for you.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• rdoss5
    rdoss5 Member ✭✭
    Did what you suggested got same result, also disabled my antivirus software and got same result. I'm pretty sure it is with the new software as Quicken 2017 works like a charm. Too bad Quicken has deemed it obsolete as it sure works better than the new software. Thanks for your help.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on the "new software" and Q has no problem whatsoever in connecting to my banks/cards/brokerage/etc.
    It's NOT the Q software ... it's something specific to your setup.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    rdoss5 said:
    I am running windows 10, Spectrum Cable Internet, Wired Connection, Ubee Combo Modem-Router.
    Does the Windows icon for Internet appear ok - down in the lower right on task bar -
    Right click on icon --> Open Network & Internet Settings --> Network Status ?
    I seem to recall someone having an issue when using a tethered smartphone to their laptop - and somehow Quicken was not properly seeing that wired Ethernet connection.... and displaying the same error...   don't recall any resolution -
    Is this a desktop or laptop - and can you try a WiFi connection ?
    EDIT -- updated topic title to reflect the "wired" connection, if that is the case.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• rdoss5
    rdoss5 Member ✭✭
    My computer is connected to the internet. It is a desktop, nothing tethered. All other software connects to the internet just fine. Thanks for your suggestion
  • rdoss5
    rdoss5 Member ✭✭
    Can anyone tell me how to contact Quicken? After spending over 3 hours on the phone with BB&T online technicians, they determined that it is for sure Quicken's fault because of the way it is attempting to connect to their servers. I have tried everything, and now cannot find any contact route to Quicken
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • rdoss5
    rdoss5 Member ✭✭
    thanks Greg_the_Geek. Now since I cannot get Quicken to connect to BB&T I downloaded the latest updates from the bank to my computer QFX files. How do I get Quicken to load them into its data file. Everything I tried Quicken attempted to connect to the bank and couldn't of course.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    rdoss5 said:
    thanks Greg_the_Geek. Now since I cannot get Quicken to connect to BB&T I downloaded the latest updates from the bank to my computer QFX files. How do I get Quicken to load them into its data file. Everything I tried Quicken attempted to connect to the bank and couldn't of course.
    From Quicken:

File --> File Import --> Web Connect (.QFX) File... --> Browse to the QFX file.
  • rdoss5
    rdoss5 Member ✭✭
    When Attempting this I get all the way to browse to the file click on it then I get Quicken cannot connect to the internet
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Try booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and then importing the QFX file.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double-check your Firewall / Antivirus settings to ensure that the Quicken program (C:\[full and correct path name here]\qw.exe) always has permission to establish outbound Internet connections.
    If your AV / Firewall software creates log files, please review them, if necessary with the help of your AV software support team. That might show the problem and give you a way to easily resolve it.

In Windows Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables ensure that both the TEMP and TMP variables point to a valid and existing folder, typically C:\Windows\Temp or  C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp
    If they point to an incorrect or non-existent folder or drive change both variables to an existing folder on C:\ (or create one) and reboot Windows.

If the folder exists … does your Windows User Account have proper access rights to this folder?
    If Quicken cannot create and use temporary files, all sorts of malfunctions will occur.
    If the Temp folder is full of junk, clean it out. Delete all files and subfolders within the Temp folder structure that Windows allows you to delete. You may have to skip a few that are actively in use.

Make sure that files in the Temp folder are NOT accessed by cloud backup software at all.

Run CHKDSK /r on your C: - drive (or perform Error Checking from Windows File Explorer, Properties, Tools tab).

Check if Windows Defender feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

Are you getting "Oops, something went wrong"?
    Have you recently enabled a VPN? If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off and see if that helps.

• rdoss5
    rdoss5 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, all above suggestions have been tried and I still get Quicken cannot connect.
This discussion has been closed.