Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Product Enhancements (Mac)

Change a range of transaction dates at once.

I do a lot of transaction duplication and it would be great if I could change the dates for a bunch of transactions at once. If not available, how do I request this as an enhancement?
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You just submitted that request. They way Quicken Inc takes requests for enchantments is by someone posting a "New Idea".

This allows for people to vote on it, and as such give them an idea of how many people would like to see it.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @vjones  I'm afraid I don't even understand the request. You have a number of transactions in an account (say between February 15 and 28) and you want to change the dates of all those transactions to a different date (say March 1)? Or do you want to be able to batch duplicate selected transactions and have the duplicates show up on a new date? It might help if you gave an example.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • vjonesvjones Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW, thank you. @jacobs, thanks for your reply. Here's my use case: I've created a special account I call "paycheck processing" in which, for every paycheck, I detail all line items -- income and deductions -- and categorize them all appropriately. Once all line items are present for a given pay date, the balance in the account is equal to my net pay which is then offset to zero by relating the deposit item from my checking account. Since the line items vary little paycheck to paycheck, I duplicate all transactions from the previous paycheck and make any needed edits, including the transaction dates. As it currently stands, I have to click into each transaction (around 20+ in total) and change its date. There are other fields that can be changed in mass by highlighting a range of transactions and invoking the "Get Info" dialog, but the date is not one of them.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @vjones  Thanks for providing the paycheck example.

Let me share with you a much easier way most Quicken users handle paychecks. You don't need a separate account. In your checking account, create a single transaction for the deposit, using split lines to represent the gross income and all the deductions. With this transaction stored as a Quickfill rule, the next time you get paid, you just enter the Payee name, and the entire transaction with all the split lines will get entered for you. You can schedule the transaction for every other week or twice a month or whenever you get paid. If there are differences in a given week, you simply adjust the split lines for that paycheck.

Here's an example:

In this made-up example, gross pay is $3,000, the various deductions add up to $920, and the next pat deposited is $2,080. As you can see it's a single transaction with each deduction categorized as appropriate. There's no need for the dummy category or separate transactions you duplicate each time, and it's easy to schedule this transaction for each pay period.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • vjonesvjones Member ✭✭
    Thanks @jacobs. What you're saying makes complete sense; however, how do I deal with the net pay transactions that get auto-downloaded when I do an online sync to my checking account? Just delete them?
  • vjonesvjones Member ✭✭
    Hey @jacobs -- I did exactly as you said and it's working really well. I've scheduled our paychecks and when the direct deposits hit our checking account, I just set the scheduled transactions to "deposited," change the lines that need it (tax amounts vary paycheck to paycheck), and then delete the direct deposit line item from the account sync. I was nearly a year behind in tracking my paycheck detail so you've saved me hours of work. Thank you!