Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Why does Quicken 2020 return the same IRR for 1-year, 3-year and 5-year periods.

I bought Zoom Communications on 12/12/2019. Quicken calculates Avg. Annual Returns (%) for 1-Year, 3-Year and 5-Year intervals even though I've had the stock less than a year. The three calculated returns are all 2256.61% I have deleted the transaction, deleted the stock and re-entered the purchase. This did not correct the error. I am running Windows 7.

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The IRR calculation produces the same result for any period greater than the holding period.  You've held the security for only 108 days.  1-Year, 3-Year, and 5-Year IRR will produce the same result.  

Shares purchased in in December at about $62.49 are worth about $150.88 today.  That is a growth of about 140%  in 108 days.  When you project an annual rate, it is about 1800%.  Of course, you didn't provide the actual price paid or the end price and date but we're in ballpark.

If you haven't already, you may want to review the built in documentation on the topic: press F1

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2
    I, too, much dislike the 1-yr IRR simply carrying forward to the 3-yr and 5-yr avg annual IRRs when there is insufficient holdings data to calculate the actual 3-yr and 5-yr averages.  It used to be that when there was insufficient data to calculate the 3-yr and 5-yr averages, Quicken would enter "N/A" into those fields.  Even today, the current subscription version Help indicates that "N/A" should be in those fields. 
    I've posted a request to get this corrected and revert to showing "N/A" once, again.  If you agree, please visit https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7872870/3-5-year-average-annual-irr-calculations#latest and click on the voting button.
    (QW Premier R26.23 on Windows 10)
    If my reply has helped you resolve an issue, please "Like" it so others may know it might help them, too.
This discussion has been closed.