Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

"Web Connect download cannot proceed because a session is already in progress."

Some time back Quicken did an "automatic update" and now every time I download transactions it says "Web Connect download cannot proceed because a session is already in progress."

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/jeqOXtz.png

Then it applies the transactions/reconciles them into the account register and everything is fine.

Just want to get rid of that error.

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken AnjaQuicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @s0apscum,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your issue, and sorry to hear that you are experiencing this!

In order to better assist you-- I'd like to ask just a couple of clarification questions.

Are you receiving this update when running a One Step Update for a specific or multiple financial institutions? One way you can test this is by deselecting other financial institutions and running the update for one institution at a time before running the update.

Also, if you go to Tools > Account List-- do any of the accounts show "Web Connect" next to the edit buttons? If not and you have any hidden accounts-- be sure to also check for this with any hidden accounts by clicking the checkbox for "show hidden accounts". 

-Quicken Anja
    -Quicken Anja
  • s0apscums0apscum Member ✭✭
    Receive for ALL institutions and I am not using one-step update. I had lots of problems with it and couldn't connect to half institutions.

So instead, for years now, I just log into an institutions website and select to download the qfx file.
    And again, that process works fine - all the transactions reconcile in the register with no problem.

But some time ago Quicken did an automatic update and now I get this message any time I open a qfx file which I've downloaded and reconcile my registers.

That's all.
    edited April 4
    Thank you for the information.

If you haven't done so already-- I suggest validating your data file by following the steps below and seeing if that helps any--
    First Save a backup of your data file (just in case) > File > File Operations > Validate and Repair > Validate File > Ok > Close the data log that will populate > Close Quicken > Wait at least 5 seconds > Reopen Quicken and try again to see if the issue reoccurs

You can also try super validating which are the same steps as above except that you will hold "Ctrl" and "Shift" on your keyboard when clicking on "Validate and Repair" in order to get the option for "Super Validate".

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    -Quicken Anja
    Now that I did that it find of works.. It doesn't do it anymore when I download the "first" transaction. For instance - if I download one bank transactions and reconcile all the of the transactions, and then download ANOTHER bank without closing out of Quicken, it will give me the error when I download the "second" bank. If i close out of the program and reenter and then try and download another bank, I won't get the error.

So basically if I download more than one bank transactions, (even if I reconcile them) and don't close out the program - I will get the error for every bank I download except for the "first one".

So that's good enough of a work around I guess.
    That said - it didn't used to do this until one time it randomly auto-updated. But again, I can 'make do' with this.
    That's good to know too. I think it was a few revisions back. Tough to tell when. Thanks for that info tho - that's helpful
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I seriously doubt that this is problem with one of the patch updates.

First off I can't reproduce it.
    Second is very fact that the behavior changed after you validated your file.

I would be willing to bet that if you created a new data file, the problem wouldn't show up in it.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    The info @Chris_QPW mentioned is definitely a possibility too as there can be multiple causes to this issue. So, thank you for adding that, Chris!

That being said, if you do end up deciding to try that and the issue does occur in a new data file as well-- that would indicate that the issue is being caused by a coding error within the .QFX file itself which would be an issue the financial institution would need to be notified of in order to have it resolved.

-Quicken Anja
    -Quicken Anja
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I seriously doubt that this is problem with one of the patch updates.
    > First off I can't reproduce it.Second is very fact that the behavior changed after you validated your file.
    > I would be willing to bet that if you created a new data file, the problem wouldn't show up in it.

We can test and find out right quick. What's the proper way to recreate the data file and will I have to resetup anything if I do?
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For a test like this the goal isn't to recreated the data file.  Instead you are just going to create a new data file with a couple of accounts in it so that you can test to see if it does the same thing.

File -> New Quicken File... -> OK

That will get you started.  Then just create two accounts that the problem exists on, and download the QFX files and test.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    yep. It's got to be the file. It didn't do it with the new Quicken "test" file.
This discussion has been closed.