Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Quicken no longer works properly ever since the recent upgrade. Why?

Will not update financial institutions. Cannot access previous backups. Will not save passwords.

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31
    Please provide the year and version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

I'm asking because your profile says you're using Quicken Windows 2017 which was last updated in January.

Please provide the full name of the financial institutions and the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.  Please provide any error codes or messages.

What do you mean by Cannot access previous backups?  How are you attempting to access the backups?

What do you mean by Will not save passwords?  How are you trying to save passwords?
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • OedipusOedipus Member
    I am using Quicken Deluxe 2020
    Version: 25.21
    Build: 27.1.25.21
    I have reinstalled Quicken from my account. Same problem.
    Password vault will not save my Morgan Stanley password. I add in manually. Does not update.
    I tried to use an older backup because my "Investing" suddenly is not even close to being accurate. For instance, now my "IRA" shows a negative balance when it is very very plus.
    Ctrl + Shift + E does nothing.
    Further when I search for Quicken files I can only access CurrentQuickenFileBKP even though I have many other backups on my computer.
    Something is seriously wrong and this has never happened before and as you know I have been a customer for years
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Oedipus ,

I would suggest that you reinstall according to this procedure, without skipping a step:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R28.24 USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20215.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19041.508

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oedipus said:
    Further when I search for Quicken files I can only access CurrentQuickenFileBKP even though I have many other backups on my computer.
    Something is seriously wrong
    I have never seen that naming convention for any Quicken files ?

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
    Oedipus said:
    I have reinstalled Quicken from my account. Same problem.
    Password vault will not save my Morgan Stanley password. I add in manually. Does not update.
    I tried to use an older backup because my "Investing" suddenly is not even close to being accurate. For instance, now my "IRA" shows a negative balance when it is very very plus.
    Ctrl + Shift + E does nothing.
    Something is seriously wrong and this has never happened before and as you know I have been a customer for years
    We have no clue how many years you have been a customer.  We're just other users.  If you are trying to reach Quicken Support, I suggest you review: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options

I suggest you update you profile to indicate you're using Quicken Windows Subscription to avoid future confusion.

If you're not able to save a password in the Password Vault, I suggest you reset the Password Vault: select Tools > Password Vault > Reset   If the issue persists, I suggest you delete the Password Vault and recreate it: Tools > Password Vault > Reset

When you say Does not update, what are you referring to?  Are you saying the Password Vault does not update or that transactions that should be available at the financial institution do not appear?

Ctrl + Shift + E 
    is a keyboard shortcut that should open the register's Account Details window when the register is open.  Instead of pressing Ctrl + Shift + E, you may left click on the Action icon (the  on the upper right) and select Edit Account Details.

There are multiple ways to search for data files.  One way is to select File > Find Quicken Files...

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • OedipusOedipus Member
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    I tried reinstalling as per above. Didn't work. Would not let me "overwrite the file" from the saved restored backup from an external drive.
    Further, File>Find Quicken Files... does nothing. Takes me nowhere. Doesn't respond. same for File>Open Quicken File...
    Password Vault will not retain passwords even when deleted and reset.
    All of my backup files look like this: CurrentQuickenfileBKP-2020-02-26 (or another date).
    Accounts are not updated from my financial institution. Password is correct.
    Thoughts?
    Oedipus said:
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    I tried reinstalling as per above. Didn't work. Would not let me "overwrite the file" from the saved restored backup from an external drive.
    Further, File>Find Quicken Files... does nothing. Takes me nowhere. Doesn't respond. same for File>Open Quicken File...
    Password Vault will not retain passwords even when deleted and reset.
    All of my backup files look like this: CurrentQuickenfileBKP-2020-02-26 (or another date).
    Accounts are not updated from my financial institution. Password is correct.
    Thoughts?
    You have yet to correct your profile.

If you are using multiple monitors, open Quicken on the main display.

I suggest you access the data file in a folder on an internal drive and use short (8.3) names.  For example, QData.QDF.  
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • OedipusOedipus Member
    Corrected my profile. Windows subscription
  • OedipusOedipus Member
    File>Backup and Restore doesn't work either. Nothing happens when clicked
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Oedipus ,

Please post your current Morgan Stanley password, exactly. Then when done, change your Morgan Stanley password, at Morgan Stanley Web-site.

Okay? Or simply post the exact Special Characters, you may be using with the Password.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R28.24 USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20215.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19041.508

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.