Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Given the strain we are all under, why don't you extend support for Quicken 2017 beyond 30 April 20?

rojwolf
rojwolf Member ✭✭
If you support this please comment. I can't find how to communicate this to Quicken Management...new company, same old unreachable management. :D :# :#

Best Answers

Answers

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @rojwolf

We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback with the community.

At this time we do not anticipate COVID-19 impacting our discontinuation date for Quicken 2017, however this feedback has been shared with our Senior Leadership Staff for their consideration.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • rojwolf
    rojwolf Member ✭✭
    You replied to my post by saying you were sticking with April 30, 2020. Do you realize all the effort it takes to convert all history files, continue operating with current bills and payments and downloads, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach quicken help. The Covid has prompted helpful behavior from almost all companies..WHY is QUICKEN so tone deaf on this? We are swamped with work, working remotely and can't take all the time to do a conversion that you set totally arbitrarily .... THis is not about the cost; this is about the TIME EFFORT when your help sources can't support even normal questions. WHERE IS YOUR MANAGEMENT NOW? WE ARE ALL LIVING IN A CRISIS.
  • rojwolf
    rojwolf Member ✭✭
    SEE ABOVE. YOU REPLIED SAYING WE ARE STAYING WITH APRIL 30. Like, HELLO????
  • mrnic408
    mrnic408 Member ✭✭
    Thank you @rojwolf for asking this question! I have been struggling with the very same thing this month. I definitely support your sentiment!!

@Greg_the_Geek may well be correct that there is no data conversion required for the upgrade from Quicken 2017 to the subscription version. What he is not taking into account is that there is a subset of us that are currently using Q2017 with Quicken Bill Pay that have an arduous upgrade path ahead of us.

It is admirable that the quicken bill pay End of Life has been extended from May to August, however, that does those of us still on Quicken 2017 no good. With Quicken 2017 no longer working after 4/30, we must FIRST convert to the new subscription-enabled version of Quicken Bill Pay (a tedious and completely manual effort effort from what I've read), THEN either convert to Quicken Bill Manager or more realistically find a viable alternative to QBM which includes scheduled and recurring payments (MUST HAVE's for us long time users of quicken bill pay, as already stated by many other customers) by August.

As the OP correctly pointed out, this is a lot to take on right now.

@Quicken_Sarah - Thank you for passing this up the chain to senior management. Please don't forget to remind them that there is no viable short term alternative for those of us on Quicken 2017 currently using Quicken Bill Pay. Please extend the same kindness of EOL extension to your own customers that you rightfully demanded of your bill pay provider.

Thank you.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @mrnic408 said:
    "Thank you for passing this up the chain to senior management. Please don't forget to remind them that there is no viable short term alternative for those of us on Quicken 2017 currently using Quicken Bill Pay."

You are confusing the end support of Quicken 2017 with the support of Quicken Bill Pay.

Quicken Subscription has the exact same support for Quicken Bill Pay that Quicken 2017 has.  And Quicken Bill Pay's support has been extended already to August.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mrnic408
    mrnic408 Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW said:
    "You are confusing the end support of Quicken 2017 with the support of Quicken Bill Pay."

Actually... I'm pretty sure I'm not confusing the two. Were you a Q2017/2018 Quicken Bill Pay User?

My understanding is that once any customer of Quicken Bill Pay on Q2017 upgrades to the subscription model, they MUST close out their existing Quicken Bill Pay account (along with all historical Payees and bill history) and create a NEW Quicken Bill Pay account, which also entails re-creating all new payees under this account. That is the core issue that must now be dealt with along with the new wrinkle of COVID-19. (PLEASE correct me if this is no longer the case - That would be fantastic!! - and would solve the issue. I would gladly upgrade to the subscription version if my current Quicken Bill Pay account would continue to work with no further intervention.

@Quicken_Sarah:
    I get that there are 'real costs' associated with extending Q2017 support for three months. I'm sure that there are also real costs to Metavante for them extending the EOL of the subscription version of Quicken Bill Pay until August, but you were able to make that happen for your customers.. Us Q2017 users need a bridge that isn't a two step process (To be precise: QBP 2017 --> QBP Subscription --> "NEW" Bill Pay Platform) while you are bringing the new Bill Pay platform up to snuff to allow schedule and recurring payments.

I'm interested to hear your (anyone's) thoughts on how to navigate that pain, or how others in my same predicament are managing the migration.

My bank does not offer Direct Connect, BTW, and the option of changing banks and dropping QBP altogether is also not appealing.
  • rojwolf
    rojwolf Member ✭✭
    I'm talking about ending support for Quicken 2017 in APRIL 2020 with the corona virus raging. I'm in NYC. I'm NOT talking about quicken billpay, which i replaced with my bank's much better system a few years ago. I don't see why you can't provide support for Quicken 2017 for 3 more months so we aren't juggling leaving quicken or upgrading quicken in the middle of this crisis. Banks are being FAR more helpful. I would hate to have to close out my historical payees and payment records which apparently is required for the subscription system. Just defer it for 3 months; that's not a lot to ask...and if Medavante/you think it is, you're living in some parallel universe. We're trying to stay alive for god's sake. What a STUPID time to have a deadline on a huge administrative nightmare.
  • mrnic408
    mrnic408 Member ✭✭
    Hello @rojwolf

Actually... I think you are in much better shape than me.
    If, as you say, you are NOT using the Quicken 2017 version of Bill Pay through Metavante, and rather using your own bank's bill pay system, your upgrade path should be relatively painless.

You will still need to pay for and install the subscription upgrade, but based on your explanation of your situation, it's my understanding is that you won't lose any of your existing payees or history since that all resides at your bank.

Customers using the Quicken Bill Pay system separately administered by Metavante are the ones in the situation I'm describing where payees and history are lost. If you are using the Direct Connect method to connect with your bank, and get the service for free from your bank (or pay a monthly fee directly to your bank), you should be in relatively good shape. I, on the other hand, pay $9.95 per month directly to quicken for the Metavante service.

That's not to say there won't be issues... but I'd rather be in your shoes than mine!

-
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

OK I get where your confusion is because you probably have seen people being told to close and reopen their Quicken Bill Pay accounts.

The reason they are being told to do that is because with Premier or above they are entitled to some amount of free Quicken Bill Pay bill paid a month (there is a fee if they free bills are exceeded), but unfortunately only if they close their old account, and open a new account.  There isn't any way to transfer that existing account to the new one and get the free bills paid.

So people have a choice they can keep paying Metavante and not get the free transactions or do the close/opening of the account.

The functionality of Quicken hasn't changed in this area.
    Signature:
  • mrnic408
    mrnic408 Member ✭✭
    Thank you @Chris_QPW for taking the time to help me out... but I have to say I'm not sure I believe you yet...

I actually purchased a subscription version of quicken a couple of years ago to upgrade. As I was going through the process back then, I discovered that the only way to continue using quicken bill pay at that time was to close out my old bill pay account, and then re-open a new quicken bill pay account that properly integrates with quicken subscription versions. I've not heard anything officially from quicken that indicates this is no longer the case.

So... my understanding is that there are still two versions of Metavante's Quicken Bill Pay... one that works with Quicken 2017, and one that works with the subscription versions of quicken.

Is there an official word from Quicken that BOTH new and old versions of bill pay will work through August? If this is true, I could limp along until the New Bill Pay service is up to snuff (just without direct quicken integration)...

Definitive word from @Quicken_Sarah or someone else from Quicken would be great!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree @Quicken_Sarah needs to confirm this one way or another.  But I will say that people have been converting over to the "free" since 2018, and the complaints have always been "Why am I still being charged", not "Why did Quicken Bill Pay stop working".

I don't use Quicken Bill Pay, so I can't confirm it 100%.

BTW ALL Quicken Bill Pay is from Metavante and has always been from the time it was first created.

Signature:
  • Ron Ellis
    Ron Ellis Member ✭✭
    Our client would also appreciate an extension of the April 30 deadline to at least Sept. 30 or better 12-31-2020. Suddenly, this is VERY POOR timing acquiring new software and coping with varied work schedules, home-based workers, etc. Not to mention trying to be ready for the 'extended' tax deadline in the midst of it.
  • rojwolf
    rojwolf Member ✭✭
    they seem totally rigid on this - spoke to them again today
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited April 2020
    rojwolf said:
    they seem totally rigid on this - spoke to them again today

After 4/30, Q will STILL work to produce all of the reports that you need to file your 2019 taxes.
    It will just lose the ability to download.  And 4/30 has been the "sunset" date for Q for over 10 years ... and I believe that you've received several notices about this, going back a LONG time pre-Covid.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.