Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why does Quicken ask for my Quicken ID signin now in addition to my Quicken Datafile signin?

This has started happening about a week ago. Whenever I attempt to sign in to Quicken Deluxe, It asks in the background for my Quicken Support ID. If I click on the x, I am sometimes able to close it and get in to my Quicken Acct. But it seems to be getting worse.

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bug.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • ford2893
    ford2893 Member ✭✭
    Ok Thanks. Can you tell me how to get rid of it? Will uninstalling then reinstalling Quicken help? I use Anti Malware Bytes premium on this computer.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a bug on the Quicken Activation Servers. Going back via: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html to reinstall an earlier R# will not help.

This bug affects users who are using a File Password and never did a clean reinstall of Quicken.

Besides removing a File Password from their Quicken Data File, there is a simply fix.

As long as you follow the steps, it works.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21354.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.867

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't get rid of it. You'll have to wait for the next update.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Bill Newton
    Bill Newton Member ✭✭
    Yes...nothing seems to help at this point. I followed all of the steps in:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

and also tried

https://www.quicken.com/support/why-am-i-being-asked-sign-my-quicken-id-repeatedly-or-why-am-i-being-asked-activation-code

I'm still getting the sign-in screen before I can update my data files. It has been going on for weeks now.

I simultaneously use Quicken for Mac to ensure consistency between my financial records. I've never had a sign-in or authorization issue with the Mac version of the app.
  • DrSkee
    DrSkee Member ✭✭
    I have never used a File Password and this is happening to me. Started the first of the year with an update. I have performed a clean uninstall and clean reinstall of Quicken using the community recommended procedure above.
    I was able to open a backup file and reinstall the data file. Quicken did not stay open long enough to save a new backup and now Quicken will not open a data file. Keeps asking for Quicken ID and password, two and three times.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @DrSkee

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue.

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details.

If you haven't already, please try to sign out and sign back into the Quicken program.
    1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID syncing and alerts
    2. Click sign in as a different user
    3. Type "yes" to sign out
    4. After you sign out, sign back in with the same Quicken ID
    Please let me know if you are still prompted to sign in repeatedly after completing this step.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • DrSkee
    DrSkee Member ✭✭
    I cannot get to the Quicken program as it still promps me to sign in. Therefore, I cannot test your recommendations. I validated and repaired the quicken data file. Then I tried to open Quicken and was prompted to sign in. After the 2nd sign in prompt, a Download and Set up Windows screen was displayed. I ran the download and set up for windows. I uninstalled, installed, and updated Quicken for Windows. I launched Quicken from the Launch Quicken prompt. My data was briefly displayed, the screen started stuttering, and the sign in screen reappeared.
  • ford2893
    ford2893 Member ✭✭
    ford2893 here. I am the originator of this thread. Quicken Tyka I am not sure if your solution is directed to my problem, Dr Skee's, or both of them. However I tried to apply your solution and I am not sure what you mean by "try to sign in as a different user" The Quicken ID request already has my email address filled in (not changeable) and is only asking for my password.
  • ford2893
    ford2893 Member ✭✭
    The sign in as a different user screen did finally come up. I typed yes, and tried to sign in again. It did not help or change anything.
  • DrSkee
    DrSkee Member ✭✭
    Hello ford2893 and Quicken Tyka, there is another thread that also discusses the Quicken ID issue. It does not deal with the Quicken Datafile password issue. https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871343/quicken-id-popup-but-ignoring-it-just-goes-on-to-quicken-now-crashes
    My apologies if I have inadvertently corrupted this discussion. When I did a search for the Quicken ID issue the other discussion did not populate.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @DrSkee

Thank you for the response and thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report that you were also experiencing this trouble.

If you are seeing a duplicate sign-in prompts with or without a data file password, the issue does appear to be related, especially if the issue persists after attempting to sign out and sign back in.

This duplicate sign-in issue has been reported and is currently being worked on.

Thank you for your patience,

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Spooky17909
    Spooky17909 Member
    Quicken Tyka,

Your solution for repeat sign in using:

If you haven't already, please try to sign out and sign back into the Quicken program.
    Go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID syncing and alerts
    Click sign in as a different user
    Type "yes" to sign out
    After you sign out, sign back in with the same Quicken ID
    Please let me know if you are still prompted to sign in repeatedly after completing this step.

Does not work. The steps aren't even accurate, at least not in Quicken 2016.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka ,
    Your solution for repeat signin using:......
    There are lots of folks on the forum - using several different versions of Quicken...
    You should always search out and mention what version you are using,
    as the older obsolete and unsupported versions may have totally different solutions for what appears to be the same problem -

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Spooky17909
    Spooky17909 Member
    Well, nowhere in this thread is the version mentioned. In any case, do you have a solution for Quicken 2016? I recall having this same problem several years ago and it was solved over the phone. Unfortunately I do not remember the steps.
  • thecreator
    Quicken Tyka,

Your solution for repeat sign in using:

Go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID syncing and alerts
    Click sign in as a different user
    Type "yes" to sign out
    After you sign out, sign back in with the same Quicken ID

Hi @Spooky17909

You jumped on the thread that was started by someone else and did not disclose enough information.

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

Example:
    Quicken [Year] Quicken [Edition] R3
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 18965.1005 taken from winver.
    [Right-click Windows Start and click run type in winver and click OK]
    Include whether it is USA or Canadian Quicken program

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 18362.295
    Quicken 2019 Home & Business R21.16
    USA

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Spooky17909
    Spooky17909 Member
    Thanks for the instructions thecreator.

I have Quicken Deluxe 2016, Version R14.1, Build 25.1.14.9
    I use Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, OS Build 18362.720

When opening Quicken I get a request to sign on, and it does not accept my Quicken credentials I use on quicken.com. After closing the window several times I can use Quicken.

Is there a solution to this?
  • thecreator
    Hi @Spooky17909

Go to: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

Scroll down to Quicken 2016.

Download and Save Release 19.5 Mondo.

Once saved, with Quicken closed, right-click on the file and click Run as administrator to install.

Also, the latest Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit Build 18363.752 Public Release.
    Might wish to go to Settings Update and Security and click on the optional Downloads to upgrade.

• ford2893
    ford2893 Member ✭✭
    I am sorry for not mentioning what version I had when I started this post. I am using the latest, current, subscription version of Quicken Deluxe, 2020. Version R25.21Build 27.1.25.21. Thank you all for trying to help. But some of these solutions seem like they may be for older versions, and I am hesitant to use them. So I am going to discontinue this thread.
  • ford2893
    ford2893 Member ✭✭
    I cant figure out how to close a thread.....
  • thecreator

Users and SuperUsers can't close threads. You and Others can click the Flag at the bottom and click Report. Click Other and in the Notes section type in the reason. for using Flag. The Report goes to Quicken Employees / Moderators.

I sent you a PM.

• Spooky17909
    Spooky17909 Member
    Thanks for the Quicken patch URL the creator. Very good information to have.

I did as you suggested and upgraded Quicken and MSFT OS. I then used Quicken_Tyka's suggestion and no more repeat log in.

Thanks so much.
  • DrSkee
    DrSkee Member ✭✭
    I am using the latest, current, subscription version of Quicken Home and Business, 2020. Version R25.21, Build 27.1.25.21. Windows 10 version 1909, OS Build 18363.720.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @DrSkee

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue.

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details.

1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID syncing and alerts
    2. Click sign in as a different user
    3. Type "yes" to sign out
    4. After you sign out, sign back in with the same Quicken ID

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    Hello @DrSkee,

These steps do more often than not resolve the issue.

However, I do want to add that the pop-up sign-in screen will continuously keep popping up throughout the process of following these steps, in which case you will also need to continuously close the pop-up every time it populates (which can happen back to back several times).

I know that it is annoying, but once you are able to successfully sign out and receive the correct sign-in screen (not another pop-up), the pop-up sign-in screen will then stop repopulating and allow you to sign back in and keep it from happening again after signing in.

Thank you,

-Quicken Anja
    -Quicken Anja
  • DrSkee
    DrSkee Member ✭✭
    Dear Quicken Anja, I would like to try your suggestion, which requires that I can get into Quicken. Which at this point I cannot open Quicken to get to any file menus.
    Thank you,
    DrSkee
  • thecreator
    Hi @DrSkee ,,

Are you using a File Password?

• Quicken Anja
    @DrSkee

Can you elaborate on what's happening that you can not currently open Quicken? Is it just not opening when you click on the Quicken icon to launch the program or does it open and give you a certain screen that you can't get out of? 

-Quicken Anja
    -Quicken Anja
  • DrSkee
    DrSkee Member ✭✭
    Quicken Anja,
    I apologize I am unable to load screen shots of what I am seeing. The instructions and FAQs for uploading screen shots have not been helpful. Any other suggestions?

I am not using a File password. When I click on the Quicken icon to launch the program, Quicken would briefly open, show some data for about 10 seconds, then the Quicken ID and password pop up screen would appear. The Quicken ID and password pop-up screen could not be closed. The Quicken ID and password had to be entered. Quicken would briefly open then it went directly to the Quicken ID and password pop up screen.

After about the 3rd time, a screen opened informing me my subscription was valid and to download Quicken for Windows. This screen would not close. I downloaded Quicken for Windows. Quicken would briefly open, show some data for about 10 seconds, then the Quicken ID and password pop up screen would reappear. Quicken would not open. I also did a validate and repair on Quicken, tried to open the new validated file and the ID and password pop up screen would still reappear.

On the Quicken ID and password pop up screen, it shows File and Help at the upper left corner of the screen. In File, the choices are New Quicken File, Open Quicken File, Find Quicken Files, and File Operations. " Edit > Preferences > " are not listed as available selections.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken R25.21 several times, renamed data files, user name, etc. according to the community recommendations. I could not get away from the Quicken ID and password pop up screen, regardless of what I did.

I had another computer that had Quicken R25.10, Build 27.1.25.10 on it. When I opened R25.10 it asked for Quicken ID and password once.
    I considered all data files associated with R25.21 corrupted, therefore I went to an older Quicken backup file from mid February to load into R25.10 via USB drive.

In R25.10, I can open the Quicken backup file, enter and save the data in Quicken. So far, when I open Quicken R25.10, I am not asked for an ID or password. Also, the new data file is loading, saving, and correctly backing up. I can also restore from the backups.

I have been using Quicken from DOS version 2. I do not know what bug is present in R25.21, but it is frustrating. I will not be updating Quicken until I hear more comments from others that the OS is stable.
  • erginatalar
    erginatalar Member
    I have the very same problem. I just purchased the subscription based quicken. I was using quicken 2015 before. It looks like my id in my earlier subscription was different. When I tried to open my old file with the new program it choked. Keep asking my password.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited April 2020
    Thank you both for the additional information!

@DrSkee, if it will not allow you to attach a screenshot, you can try dragging and dropping the screenshot to your response which should create a link that we can click on in order to view the image in a separate tab within our browser.

Alternatively, you can also reach out to Quicken Support via phone or chat and share your screen with one of our support agents while having a one-on-one troubleshooting session.

-Quicken Anja

Click here to follow our Community thread for updates on Quicken Support's hours of operation during the COVID-19 pandemic.
    -Quicken Anja
This discussion has been closed.