Home Before you Buy

When Quicken 2017 stops connecting with financial institutions, will a download of a .Q** file work?

BSA492BSA492 Member ✭✭
Q1: I've found the Quicken connect process to fail more often than it works, so I have resorted to using the bank "download" function, which provides me a file that I "open with Quicken" when I get prompted. Will this process still work on Quicken 2017 after the service to connect with the financial institutions is turned off?

Q2: does the process for Quicken 2019/2020 to connect with a financial institution work better than the one in Quicken 2017? Any time one of my financial institutions forced me to use 2-factor authentication, the Quicken Connect process failed and I could never get it to work again. Instead, I just get a failure message that says the bank is using a new, unrecognized page and that I should resolve it, but there's no way to resolve it. I've been very disappointed with Quicken since those changes occurred and I'm very reluctant to move to a subscription service that's very expensive.

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q1: No.
    Q2: No.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the answers above. Re: #2, may I ask which bank is giving you trouble? Have you tried working with Quicken Support to get it working?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • BSA492BSA492 Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, thanks for the link. I had not seen that before.

RickO, there are several institutions that have gone to 2-factor authentication and Quicken does not seem to work with them. Interestingly enough, I have an account with both BMO Harris Bank and BMO Harris Credit Cards; one works and the other does not. Yes, I've spoken with Quicken Support, who directed me to the bank, and the bank, who directed me back to Quicken Support. The error I get is that the institution has a new page... it's the prompt to send a code by either email or sms text. Can't get passed it. I have the same problem with Kohls credit card.

thecreator, I didn't think it mattered, but the version I'm using is Quicken Home and Business 2017 on Windows.

Since the answers to my questions seem to be "no" and "no", I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I'm probably not going to spend $45/year (or more) for the functionality I'm using of Quicken. I have had licenses for Quicken dating back to the Windows 95 days, but I have walked away several times, due to issues with the software.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7
    @BSA492 The answer to #2 depends on the missing letters in your question (.Q**).

.QFX will definitely be turned off for both Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac.
    .QIF will not be turned off for Quicken Windows, but Quicken Mac doesn't allow importing transactions using .QIF files (with the exception I believe for creating a new data file from a QIF, which is used to support converting from other personal finance software).
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • BSA492BSA492 Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW, I couldn't remember which file format I download from the bank, but it's .qfx, so Quicken is cutting us off from downloading transactions, unless we move on from purchase to subscription. I'm still weighing the value, but I'm inclined to not move on to the subscription plan. And without download, the product is useless to me.

Thanks.
  • > @Chris_QPW said:
    > ...QIF will not be turned off for Quicken Windows ...

Chris_QPW: While not doubting your info, I'm interested as to the source of the statement excerpted above?

The discontinuation policy language is fairly broad, stating that [No] "Downloading and/or importing financial data" [will be allowed].

Why / how are QIFs exempted from this stated policy?

Looking forward to your reply.
    Quicken Premier (Windows) user since 1992
    @p44sx9vw34bngtr86u4n Well how about say about 24+ years of it being that way.  They have never "completely" blocked QIF importing from the time it was first introduced.

The QIF importing is used for more than just transaction entry.  It was first created to help the support people with fixing customer problems, but even more to the point, it is still currently used (In Quicken Subscription) as a method for allowing someone using another personal finance program to import their data into Quicken.  Other use for it have been to try to move data from a corrupted data file to another and that kind of thing.

Note that they have had a "GUI block" in from 2004 to 2017.  What it does is not allow the user to select accounts that aren't asset or liability accounts.  This was done to push people to using Web Connect/QFX files.   But you can get around it by adding the account name and type in the QIF, which will push it into that account no matter what is selected on the GUI.

In Quicken Subscription they removed the "GUI block", but also removed any processing, the transactions go right into the register without try to match existing transactions or matching payees to the memorized payees to fill in the categories.

Even when the subscription expires you can still do a QIF import.

Now since Quicken 2017 hasn't actually dropped out support yet it is possible that they might have slipped that in, but that is extremely unlikely.
    @p44sx9vw34bngtr86u4n BTW Quicken 2016 support has already expired, and it can read Quicken 2017/Subscription files, and its QIF importing (like all the versions before it) still work.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken will likely keep QIF import and export available until QXF supports all account types.  If you haven't already, you may want to review:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-export-data-quicken
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-import-data-quicken-windows
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Chris & Sherlock:

Many thanks to you both for complete and very informative answers. :)
  • To add ... this is the 1st time in 27+ years I've ever seriously contemplated allowing my Quicken "supported version" to lapse.

All thoughts, comments, and responses are appreciated.
    To add ... this is the 1st time in 27+ years I've ever seriously contemplated allowing my Quicken "supported version" to lapse.

All thoughts, comments, and responses are appreciated.

Let me say that I fully support anyone that feels that they don't need automatic downloading of transactions and the other features and as such feel that the price for the subscription it "too high" when that is really all they are looking for.  But me personally I wouldn't use Quicken without automatic downloading of transactions.  I would stop using it first.

My history with Quicken I started in 1992 and back then it was all manual input.  I used it for a couple of years, but the manual entry just wasn't worth the effort for me so I stopped using it.  In 1996 download was available and I started using it again, and have every since.  To me that $50 or less per year, for the Deluxe version is plenty cheap for the benefits it provides me.
  • Roger_ORoger_O Member ✭✭
    I have so much invested in Quicken since the early days more than 15 years ago that I can't see not using Quicken. I have always used the automated download and bill payment functions. I am in a quandary and can't believe that I'm being put into a position where the only choice is subscription service. I hate this choice across all types of computer software. It leaves the customer no recourse. I have always used the Deluxe version and I have already tested the new Deluxe version and the Find & Replace function has been made nearly unusable. In addition the Deluxe version does not include the Download and companion features. I will have to upgrade to Premier to get this included. I'm at a loss to understand all the differences.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6
    What "Download and companion features" and not included with Quicken Deluxe? The features haven't changed between Quicken Deluxe 2017 and Quicken Deluxe Subscription.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does EDIT, Find/Replace not work for you?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.