Quicken register does not show I've paid a bill

I have recently updated to Bill Manager. Now when I pay a bill, it does not update in my quicken register. I went online to the quicken bill pay site, and it shows the payments are in process. However, within quicken, the payments still show as unpaid and needing to be sent. However, I have already sent the payments, as verified when I log into the quicken bill pay site. Since it is difficult to log into the quicken bill pay site, I would prefer that my register shows the payments are sent. This is how it used to work before upgrading to Bill Manager.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Accepted Answer
    amannucci said:
    Thanks for your response. I don't understand it. That means I have to sign up for another bill pay service, e.g. through Wells Fargo? I already have Direct Connect with Wells Fargo: it downloads transactions directly to my register after One Step Update. However, bills are not being paid.

When I go to this site, https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-bill-pay-works the instructions are as follows: From the Quicken Tools menu, choose Quicken Bill Pay, and then choose Pay Bills in Quicken

I don't see the item "Quicken Bill Pay" on the Tools menu.

What happens with Quicken Check Pay? I've listed a payment using that. Will the check be sent out before the due date? (Let's forget for now coordination with the register). How do I know the check was sent out? Will it show up on the Quicken Bill Pay site after the check is sent?

Why does the register allow me to add payments with Send, hit "send now" which accesses the bank, and then return with no action taken on the payment? Why doesn't the program tell me that I have not signed up for this service?
    You should be able to enable online bill payment for your Wells Fargo account in Quicken if you're using the Direct Connect connection method:  open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab and select Set up Now... in the Online bill payment region.  Note:  Wells Fargo does charge an additional amount on the monthly fee for the service:  https://www.wellsfargo.com/help/online-banking/quicken-faqs/

Quicken Bill Pay is an alternative online bill payment service scheduled for termination on August 31, 2020.  The instructions for its use in Quicken on the web site you referenced appear to be incorrect.  If you're using Quicken Bill Pay within Quicken, I suggest you follow the general online bill payment instructions in the built-in documentation instead: press F1

In Quicken, an online payment service is used to pay an online payee.  The online payment may be scheduled and may be repeated using a bill reminder.  The online payment instructions are pooled and transmitted to the financial institution when we subsequently perform an update.

Quick Pay 
    and Check Pay do not use online payees.  

When we create a online bill, we provided the credentials that enable Quicken obtain the bill amount and due date from an online biller.  Quick Pay enables us to pay the online biller using the same credentials.  The payment may not be scheduled (yet).  The payment starts to be processed, when we select Confirm.  While the payment is processing, there is a window in which we may be able to cancel the payment.

Check Pay
     is used to send a check to anyone in the US.  The check may not be scheduled. The request to send the check is processed, when we select Confirm.  To stop payment, we need to contact the payment account's financial institution.

How do I know the check was sent out?

We have to assume the check is sent.  The check entry should appear in the payment account on the financial institution's web site when it clears and download and import with other available transactions.

Will it show up on the Quicken Bill Pay site after the check is sent?

No.  Check Pay has nothing to do with the Quicken Bill Pay service.  

Why does the register allow me to add payments with Send, hit "send now" which accesses the bank, and then return with no action taken on the payment? Why doesn't the program tell me that I have not signed up for this service?

I don't know.  If an account is not enabled for online bill payment, there should be a message indicating that the send can not be performed.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the year and version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

Are you issuing a payment of an online bill with Quick Pay or are you issuing an online payment with Quicken Bill Pay?
  • amannucci
    amannucci Member ✭✭
    Windows subscription.

I am beginning to realize that with Quicken Bill Manager, one cannot pay bills directly from the register, as before. One must use the "Bills and Income" tab. I entered a manual bill. It is now set on "Check Pay". From reading, I have come to understand that this means Quicken will send a check. However, I have no way to verify that a check was sent, nor does it end up in my register. I suppose it will show up when I sync my register to the bank, and if the check was sent. However, I would like to make sure that it is scheduled and will actually be sent. When I log into Quicken Bill Pay, this manual bill does not show up.

The register still allows me to enter electronic payments, but nothing happens. They go nowhere, just stay in my register as payments I need to make. When I select "Pay now" from the register, Quicken goes online, but nothing actually happens, not even an error message.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you correct the version in your profile.

If you want the ability to schedule bill payments directly from a register, I suggest you consider using one of the more than 500 financial institutions that support online bill payment from within Quicken using the Direct Connect connection method.  
  • amannucci
    amannucci Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response. I don't understand it. That means I have to sign up for another bill pay service, e.g. through Wells Fargo? I already have Direct Connect with Wells Fargo: it downloads transactions directly to my register after One Step Update. However, bills are not being paid.

When I go to this site, https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-bill-pay-works the instructions are as follows: From the Quicken Tools menu, choose Quicken Bill Pay, and then choose Pay Bills in Quicken

What happens with Quicken Check Pay? I've listed a payment using that. Will the check be sent out before the due date? (Let's forget for now coordination with the register). How do I know the check was sent out? Will it show up on the Quicken Bill Pay site after the check is sent?

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Accepted Answer
    amannucci said:

You should be able to enable online bill payment for your Wells Fargo account in Quicken if you're using the Direct Connect connection method:  open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab and select Set up Now... in the Online bill payment region.  Note:  Wells Fargo does charge an additional amount on the monthly fee for the service:  https://www.wellsfargo.com/help/online-banking/quicken-faqs/

Quicken Bill Pay is an alternative online bill payment service scheduled for termination on August 31, 2020.  The instructions for its use in Quicken on the web site you referenced appear to be incorrect.  If you're using Quicken Bill Pay within Quicken, I suggest you follow the general online bill payment instructions in the built-in documentation instead: press F1

In Quicken, an online payment service is used to pay an online payee.  The online payment may be scheduled and may be repeated using a bill reminder.  The online payment instructions are pooled and transmitted to the financial institution when we subsequently perform an update.

Quick Pay 
    and Check Pay do not use online payees.  

When we create a online bill, we provided the credentials that enable Quicken obtain the bill amount and due date from an online biller.  Quick Pay enables us to pay the online biller using the same credentials.  The payment may not be scheduled (yet).  The payment starts to be processed, when we select Confirm.  While the payment is processing, there is a window in which we may be able to cancel the payment.

Check Pay
     is used to send a check to anyone in the US.  The check may not be scheduled. The request to send the check is processed, when we select Confirm.  To stop payment, we need to contact the payment account's financial institution.

How do I know the check was sent out?

We have to assume the check is sent.  The check entry should appear in the payment account on the financial institution's web site when it clears and download and import with other available transactions.

Will it show up on the Quicken Bill Pay site after the check is sent?

No.  Check Pay has nothing to do with the Quicken Bill Pay service.  

I don't know.  If an account is not enabled for online bill payment, there should be a message indicating that the send can not be performed.
  • amannucci
    amannucci Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the information. It does appear I can achieve very similar results to before using the new Bill Manager. There is a subtle distinction between "online payee" that uses an online payment service, and online billers. I have successfully scheduled at least one online biller. I will assume that the Check Pay I've set up will work for the payees that don't have online billing.
This discussion has been closed.