Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Multiple Windows accounts accessing the same Quicken data file

I have been a Quicken customer for 25 years, so my QDF file has been around for a while. I am currently using 2020 Deluxe (R25.21) on Windows 10. I keep the QDF in C:\Users\Public because two people login to update the same QDF (not at the same time). What we have noticed is that I do not see updates made by the other account (and vice versa). I did not notice this happening prior to Windows 10. What can be done so both accounts can update the same QDF file and updates be visible to both?

Thanks,
Corey

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In both accounts look what data file is actually being open (File -> 1, or File -> Show this file on my computer).  I'm 99.999% sure you will find that they aren't referring to the same data file.

As in it is impossible for Quicken to put changes in one file that only one account sees.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Are the both logging in with he same Quicken ID info?  If not, then that might be the problem.  If you are using different Quicken IDs, Quicken will recognize each as separate users so you are not truly sharing a common file and I'm guessing you'll find a 2nd QDF file somewhere on your computer for the 2nd person.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are the both logging in with he same Quicken ID info?  If not, then that might be the problem.  If you are using different Quicken IDs, Quicken will recognize each as separate users so you are not truly sharing a common file and I'm guessing you'll find a 2nd QDF file somewhere on your computer for the 2nd person.

That is an interesting idea, but t isn't the problem (I just tested it).

What happens if you access a data file from another account that has yet to be signed in to the Quicken Id/data file is that it will prompt you for the password, with the Quicken Id already filled in.  It is certainly possible to then change the Quicken Id and log in with this second Quicken Id, but then that would change it for the data file.  And as such when the first person opened the data file again they would see the second Quicken Id and have to log in or change it back to theirs.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    This should be interesting....
    as the QDF file should be the single file in the C:\Users\Public\ folder that any and all Windows Users on this computer would "see" - unless, as mentioned above, they are not exactly pointing to the same exact pathing....
    \public\ .... vs.....  \public\public documents\

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm understanding @ps56k and @Chris_QPW correctly, it seems that all 3 of us think that maybe the 2nd user might be logging into a separate data file that might be saved in a different location.  It would certainly be a possible explanation.  But then this would also mean that the 2nd person would also not be seeing the transaction changes made by @cdanderson3
    At this point it's all just speculation.  We need to hear more from @cdanderson3 regarding:
    • How each of them are accessing the data file and what exactly they are doing to log into it. 
    • Are the transactions he enters/modifies when he is logged in then also showing up in the file when the 2nd person logs in?
    • It would also be helpful for @cdanderson3 to do a search in Windows Explorer for *.qdf to see if more than one file does show up.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALSO - how are each of the Windows Users defined on the system -
    - Admin
    - Limited User
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.