Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken 2020 Crashes Mac

I just bought and installed Quicken 2020 5.15.3. Got it setup and now when I go to open the app, it kernel panics the Mac running Catalina 10.15.4 upon launch! It's the only application I have that does this which is quite concerning as I've never had anything like this. Well, maybe since I was first on an intel Mac many years ago.

Deleted the app and re-installed, worked once and crashes again.

Anyone experiencing anything similar?

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2020
    Hi, dhz138:

In 10 years of helping out around here, this is the very first report I have heard of Quicken causing a kernel panic. Those are usually system/hardware related. Normally, just individual programs crash.

Is your file stored locally? Was it a new file, or one created from conversion? The reason I ask is that I have seen posts (elsewhere) regarding kernel panics with 10.15.4. (Large file transfers tend to be, but not always involved.)
  • dhz138
    dhz138 Member
    Hi John,

Sure is a weird one. I didn't bother to migrate from my 2017 file and created a new one from scratch which is stored locally in the default place under the user's library. I did see the kernel panics associated with 10.15.4 but doesn't seem to match what I have.

For now, installing on my wife's Mac to see how it goes there. Also running 10.15.4.
  • John_in_NC
    Thanks for responding; I am curious to see how it goes on another machine. (I think I have seen four panics (total) since the Public Beta MacOS X days-so 19 years.)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @dhz138 I was just reading about some crashes and kernel panics related to macOS 10.15.4, and reading about your problems earlier this week made me think it's possible (likely?) that the problems you're experiencing are due to this bug in the new macOS release and not Quicken. 

You can read about it here:
    https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/06/macos-10-5-4-kernel-panic-crashing-issues/
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dhz138
    dhz138 Member
    The Mac Rumors issue was the first thing I thought of but it's not exactly the same as the one I have on my 2017 MacBook Pro. Waiting for the public beta of 10.15.5 to come out and give it a try after a full backup. Haven't run a public beta #1 before but I'll try it out.

Installed Quicken on my wife's MacBook Air (also running 10.15.4) but it never launches and the app just hangs. So stoke #2.

Installing on my Windows VM for now until either a new version of Quicken 2020 comes out or the public beta of 10.15.5 launches.
  • dhz138
    dhz138 Member
    Forgot to say that 10.15.5 fixed the crashing and all good now.
  • jacobs
    I assume you mean 5.16.1, which is the current version? (There was no 5.15.5 release that I'm aware of.) The release notes for 5.16.1 specifically address fixing some bugs for users of macOS 10.11 (El Capitan) and 10.12 (Sierra). Are you running one of those operating systems? If so, you should take note that the developers are warning users of these older Mac operating systems that work to support Quicken on those operating systems "will stop in the next couple of months". So you're likely okay with the next update to 5.17 in the next month or two, but after that, you may be unable to update Quicken further unless you update your macOS to at least 10.13 (High Sierra). 
  • John_in_NC
    Perhaps he means macOS 10.15.5
  • jacobs
    John, yes, re-reading the thread, you're right, he was referring to macOS version and not Quicken version.  It's odd that we didn't see any other reports of crashing problems with Quicken on Catalina here, but I'm happy that whatever the problem was is now resolved.
This discussion has been closed.