TCF Bank giving CC-502 when trying to download transactions

TCF Bank giving CC-502 when trying to download transactions

This has been happening since at least 04/03/2020. I have tried several times at different times of the day with the same error.

I have deactivated and tried to reactivate "One Step Update" with the same response

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Since you can't reactivate:  Did you remove all the Financial Institution information (i.e, account number, bank name, customer ID, etc.) from the top right corner of the Account Details General tab?  Doing this gives your account in Quicken a clean slate.
    If not, you might want to try that and then click on "Set up Now" on the Online Services tab.  During the set up process Quicken will likely prompt you to either add a new account, link to an existing account or ignore.  Be sure to link it to your Quicken TCF account.
    Note:  If this is successful (I suspect it will be), you might get a number of downloaded transactions that are duplicates of what you already have in your register.  Just delete those duplicates.  There should be no duplicates downloaded in the future.
    Let me know if this worked for you.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R33.24 on Windows 10)
  • jefflock
    jefflock Member ✭✭
    I have been getting the same issue with TCF Bank since 4/3/2020 also. It is still happening. I also tried deactivated and tried to reactivate "One Step Update" with the same response. Not sure if this is system-wide or not?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2020
    @jefflock - Did you clear all the Financial Institution information from the General tab of Account details before you tried to reactivate?  That can often be the difference between failing to reactivate and successfully reactivating.  Doing this gives the Quicken account a "clean slate" which is necessary if any of the FI information on General tab and the information being downloaded by the FI are not in 100% agreement with each other.
    I have seen a few (not many) other complaints regarding TCF download issues but they identify a different error code and most of them are from March.  Yours are the only two  with your error code that I've found in 2020.  If more people start complaining then this might, indeed, be a system-wide issue.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @tjoreil and @jefflock - There is another step you can take to try to reestablish your online services connection if nothing else works. I saw it suggested on a TCF site for another issue but it is one that is a viable fallback for any institution that offers transactions downloads from their website in QFX (or "Quicken") format.
    • Backup your data file so it can be retrieved in case something goes wrong.
    • Verify that all FI information has been deleted from the Account Details, General tab.  (Other information like account name, contact info, etc., does not need to be removed.)
    • Login to your online account at TCF and download your transactions in QFX (or "Quicken") format.
    • Depending on your computer settings, during download Quicken will open the file and try to import it or you will be prompted to use Quicken to open the file or you will be prompted to save the file.  If you save it, go to where it was saved and open it with Quicken or double click on it.
    • During the set up process that ensues, make sure to link it to your Quicken TCF account. 
    • When done, your account should be set up for the Web Connect (manual downloads) connection. 
    • Go to the Online Services tab of your Account Register and there should be a message informing you that an improved connection method is available.  Click on that message link to start the process for setting up the improved connection method (it will be either Direct Connect or Express Web Connect which are the ones Quicken uses for OSF).
  • Boatnmaniac
    @tjoreil and @jefflock - Has any of this resolved your issue?
  • messkit16
    messkit16 Member
    Same issue. Called support today. No current solution given.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Folks, I've gotten responses from a couple of other people that the following process fixed their TCF connection problem:
    1. Back up your file so you can retrieve it if something goes wrong.
    2. Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate.
    3. Account Details > General tab > Remove all of the Financial Institution information in the upper right corner.  (This is a very important step.  If you don't complete it you might not be successful in getting online services set up with TCF, again.)
    4. Account Details > Online Services tab > Set Up Now.
    5. During the set up process you will likely be given the opportunity to Add an account, Link to an account or Ignore.  Be sure to link to your existing TCF account.
    6. This process might download duplicate transactions already entered into your register.  Simply delete those duplicate transactions.  You should not have duplicate transactions downloaded, again, in the future.
    If you have a lot of duplicate transactions to be deleted, you can do a mass delete of them by following the process in this thread:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7873437/tcf-national-bank-cc-502
    Let me know if this works for you.
  • messkit16
    messkit16 Member
    Boatnmaniac the above steps did not fix the issue.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2020
    Boatnmaniac the above steps did not fix the issue.
    Hmmmm....you are the 1st person with this TCF connection issue to tell me that.  Maybe the cause of your issue is different from theirs?
    You could try using the process (suggested by TCF) spelled out in my 2nd April 8 post above:  Set up 1st via Web Connect from your online TCF account and then click on the link on the Online Services tab of Account Details to set up the "improved connection" method.
    If that, too, doesn't work, you may need to contact Quicken Support for assistance.  But note that Quicken Support is closed today in observance of Good Friday.  It will reopen tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. PST.
  • messkit16
    messkit16 Member
    Boatnmaniac,

Those steps were successfully all the way up to the improved connection part. Once I entered my user name and password using the improved connection link and clicked next I got the error message "Sorry we encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)"

Thanks again
  • Boatnmaniac
    @messkit16 - There's a Quicken Support article that says if you are getting a "It's not your fault" error message that doesn't go away or that you can't fix yourself you will need to contact Quicken Support.  Sounds like that should be your next step.
  • tjoreil
    tjoreil Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac sorry for the slow response, I don't check Quicken daily more like a weekly thing for me. I did the QFX download and it did pull the transactions from the custom date range into Quicken it seems to have partially updated the Account Details for the TCF Account. I say Partially because On the Online Services tab it says that the account is set up for transaction download.

But there is a secondary section under Online Setup, it has Financial Institution listed and Connection Method of Web Connect.

Below that is an informational section (still in Online Setup) "Your Financial Institution supports and improved connection method. Click here to find out more and get set up."

Clicking on the link brings me to the Activate One Step Update dialog. Entering my known good user name and password (logged into TCF right before entering anything. I got the "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)" mentioned by another user.

A while back (a year or more ago) TCF went to a sort of 2 step authentication, not a true 2 step in my mind, but after the initial login step there is a typical security question that you have to answer on each new device you log in with (this can be saved if you consider it a trusted device). I think I remember having to do this with Quicken as well when if first surfaced, but I am not getting prompted for that 2nd security step.

The only other thing that I have noticed is that there seems to be an update for Quicken that is hanging:

In One Step Update Settings there is a dialog saying there is a Quicken Update available I am on Version R23.17 Build 27.1.23.17 which implies that my Quicken hasn't updated since November of 2019, I am basing that on the "See what's in this update" link.

Based on the information in that link I am 7 updates behind, current version is R25.21. If I try to update through One Step or Help > Check for Updates both seem to go through (no errors) but it doesn't actually update.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @tjoreil - No need to apologize.  I'm retired so I usually have plenty of time to play with Quicken (especially now with this COVID-19 thing going on) but I know many people use it less frequently. 
    Good to hear that you were able to update your account with Web Connect.   But sorry to hear you could not get Direct Connect or Express Web Connect set up.
    BTW, Web Connect is a download connection process...for manual download and import of transactions.  It's can be nice fallback to when Direct Connect and Express Web Connect don't work right.
    First, you really should get your program updated.  There have been quite a few updates made, some which address some critical issues, and maybe updating your program will resolve your issue (I'm not optimistic but we can always hope, right?).  If your program is not updating from within Quicken go to https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product, download the Mondo patch and install it per the instructions provided.
    Once that is done, try setting up that "improved connection", again.
    If you still get that "it's not your fault error message" you will need to contact Quicken Support because per a Quicken article it's likely something their tech folks will need to help fix.
    Regardless of the outcome, please do report back here so we can all know what worked or didn't.
  • tjoreil
    tjoreil Member ✭✭
    @ Boatnmaniac - I finally got my Quicken version to update, I had to download the Mondo patch and then run it as administrator (even though I have admin rights on the user I was using). After the update I am still getting the "It's not your fault" message. On the off chance that it was a Windows incompatibility (my main machine is still Windows 7) I spun up a VM windows 10 machine and copied my Quicken Datafile to that instance, and tried to download and still got the "it's not your fault" message.

It would seem that it is either a Quicken issue as you suggested or (and I think this is more likely) it is a TCF issue. I think it is more of a TCF thing for 2 reasons,
    1. Downloading the QXF file and loading it manually starts the validation process in Quicken it just can't seem to finish it
    2. When TCF added that secondary security question a year or so ago the same type of thing kept happening, I just did everything manually for a while, and then after a few months things seemed to work themselves out and I was able to validate and download transactions again.
  • Boatnmaniac
    It might or it might not be a TCF issue.  All I know is that for the type of error message you've gotten Quicken Support has said they need to get involved to help resolve it.
    But here's the kicker:  Effective with this last January, MS discontinued support of Win 7 and concurrently with that Quicken announced they also have discontinued support of Quicken running on Win 7.  That's logical since Quicken often needs MS support to resolve certain issues and if they can't get MS support then they can't provide support for it.  So, don't be surprised if Quicken Support tells you they can't assist you until you upgrade your OS.  Anyway, here's the Quicken announcement: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-system-requirements.

• gmully
    gmully Member
    I have the exact same issue as tjoreil since April 2nd. I've tried the solutions above, and it does not fix the issue. I reported this to TCF last week and I got a phone call on Saturday (4/11) saying the issue was fixed, but nothing has changed. I'm using the Quicken subscription service and am on Windows 10, so everything is up to date. I tried contacting Quicken last Thursday, but could not get through to chat. In my experience, my TCF account has issues like this on a semi-regular basis (every 6 months or so), but this is the 3rd time in the last 2 months my TCF account will not update. I've been successful with deactivating download, validating the file, and reactivating, but that is not working now.
  • DH100
    DH100 Member ✭✭
    I have had similar problems with TCF Digital banking this month+, account resets or disable/enable tricks have been required to fix CC-502 errors. Starting 4/10, it became terminal. We have 3 accounts with them.
    Following guidance, created a new quicken data file and tried adding an account, without success. Error message: Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)

Had a chat with Customer Service on Saturday, was asked to supply the CONNLOG and OFXLOG files. Did so, then they disconnected 😞

Used a separate PC this afternoon, with a new QData file, adding an account, selecting TCF Digital Banking. Same Sorry message.

Examined the CONNLOG file, 20200413 13:10:59: *** Status code not 'ok' ***
    Examined the OFXLOG file, <status>105</status>, <message>URL. Website is currently unavailable or intermittently available.</message>

These indicate the problem may be with TCF Digital Banking, or at least a handshake change that was recently made resulting in the misconnect.

Just to be sure, tried the commercial side- TCF Bank WC TEB (do not have this type of account)
    Communication looks fine. CC-503 error message. Oops. Did you mistype your login?

Manual download from a QDF file are imported OK.
    Account, Online services, observed:
    the account is set up for transaction download.
    Your Financial Institution supports an improved connection method. Selected it.
    digitalbanking.tcfbank.com
    Same error message. Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)

Looks like will continue using the manually downloaded QFX files until this is resolved between Quicken and TCF.
  • DH100
    DH100 Member ✭✭
    Forum restrictions prohibited me from adding the following:
    Using Quicken for Windows Subscription R25.21, build 27.1.25.21
  • Boatnmaniac
    @DH100 - Yes, there does appear to be an issue with TCF.  Initially no one reported the "it's not your fault" message and several people posted that they were able to get reconnected via one of the processes spelled out above.  Unfortunately, more people are now reporting TCF connection issues and the reconnection processes aren't working for them.  Also, many of the newer posts say they are getting that "it's not your fault" message.
    As noted above in one of my Apr 11 posts in this thread, if you are getting a "it's not your fault" message you need to engage with Quicken Support to get it resolved because you won't be able to do it yourself.
  • DH100
    DH100 Member ✭✭
    Boatnmaniac-
    I did try to engage with Quicken Support, but they prematurely disconnected... Need to muster up some free time in order to try it again :neutral:
    I am expecting them to tell us that it is a TCF problem...
  • DaKT
    DaKT Member
    Same problem here. Sorry it's not your fault beginning in early April. It'd be nice to get to quicken support, but who has hours to wait online for a chat or hold on the phone. They should just address the issue. Someone from Quicken has to know this problem exists.
  • edjschw
    edjschw Member ✭✭
    Likewise same problem. I tried resetting, didn't work. I tried deactivating and reactivating (yes I did clear the bank data), didn't work. I tried creating a new file (not account) and adding TCF. No luck, did get thru to TCF support, who says they're "working on it". Haven't tried Quicken support, but given above comments, I'm sure they know about the issue.
    In the meantime, downloading and importing QFX file works.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @DaKT - How do you think Quicken Support is going to know you are having this problem if you don't let them know that?  While there are a number of people posting in Community that are having connection issues, the error codes/messages being reported are not universally consistent.  And there are others who have posted that they were able to resolve their connection issues.  As frustrating as it is to have to wait for response when contacting Quicken Support that is what Quicken says needs to happen when experiencing an "it's not your fault" error message.
    Quicken Support hours, like with many businesses, have been affected by Covid-19.  The announcement at the following link says they are open everyday from 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m. PST:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871754/fyi-quicken-support-hours-of-operation#latest.
    I'm also flagging this thread to help bring this issue to the attention of the Quicken folks who monitor/manage Community because it does appear to be a significant issue for a growning number of people.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this error to the community, although I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration experienced.

I took the liberty of attempting to add an account with TCF Bank in my personal data file, using fake login credentials.

Instead of the invalid login error (CC-503) error I should have received, I also experienced the "Sorry, we encountered an error" message.  This led me to review my log files, which detail the internal communications between Quicken and the financial institution server, where I was able to confirm the internal error and message seen below:

The highlighted error code and message above is the response from the TCF server to Quicken's request to log in and access your account/transaction data.

Quicken is making the correct calls to the bank, however, the bank server and website is not available to respond to Quickens request.

If you haven't already, I would recommend opening Quicken and go to the Help menu > Log Files and select the top file listed, the OFX Log.

In the window that opens, scroll to the very bottom of the file and slowly scroll up until you come to the "CCDiscoverAccountsInteractiveResponse" section.

If you also see a ccscrape.105 code with the message "URL. Website is currently unavailable or intermittently available", please contact the Online Banking team at TCF Bank, provide them with this error from the OFX log and request they open an escalation with their service provider to restore connections.

If you are receiving a different internal error code and message, please reply here to let us know and provide the different error code/message.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Boatnmaniac
    FYI - If/when you talk with TCF you need to make sure you are talking with the right person.  Many of the customer service people at FIs are not versed in Quicken at all and/or in technical issues.  If the person you talk with is not helping or able to address the issue, ask to be connected with a tech support person.
  • DH100
    DH100 Member ✭✭
    Am happy to report that we were able to activate 3 accounts from previous deactivate/activate attempts this past month.
    If anyone here was able to get through to TCF, thank you!
  • Boatnmaniac
    The last 2 wks or so it seems like the number of connection issue reports here in Community seems to have spiked.  I've also had more than normal.  Coincidentally, it seems to all have started about the time the country started shutting down.  I've wondered if that might have been causing increased online banking and Internet stress resulting in some of our Quicken connection issues.  The following popped up when I ran OSU not long ago.:

• tjoreil
    tjoreil Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac After the updates from @Quicken Sarah and @DH100 I downloaded the .QFX transactions for the last few days and then tried to update the banking information in the Online Services tab on the account list and I was able to update and download transactions through Quicken. Just one note it did download a bunch of old transactions that it was treating as new that I know 1. had been downloaded in the past and 2. had previously been reconciled.

Accepting the "new" transactions when it was tied to a previously existing cleared transaction did not seem to have any negative effects, however I mostly deleted the "new" transactions from the downloaded list.

I did run another update for the TCF account and even though there were no new transactions it was able to connect correctly.

At this time it appears that the issues have been corrected between TCF and Quicken
  • Boatnmaniac
    @tjoreil - Good to hear.  Hopefully the TCF issue is resolved.  But don't be surprised if you continue to have some connection issues with TCF and/or other FIs over the next week or so per that Quicken popup I posted previously.
This discussion has been closed.