Home Before you Buy

Need to test QM2020 AND QM2007

ghostridr2ghostridr2 Member ✭✭
I need to test this subscription Quicken for Mac 2020 product against my old but trustworthy Quicken for Mac 2007 (Lion update) before I commit to buying it. I use MacOS 12 Sierra on my (pre-retirement, factory ordered) 2011 iMac 27" I-7 with 32GB RAM and 2 internal drives (1TB SSD and a 2TB HDD). Can I run both programs at the same time on a single operating OS? Or can I run one then quit the QM app and run the other QM app? Or does 2020 try to use the same System or User Library folders as QM 2007 uses and try to convert them? Until I've had a couple weeks to test out the 2020 version against the QM2007, I don't want to ruin my QM2007. And no, I don't want to run a virtual machine along side one or the other because I'd have to buy Parallels and I'm already chafing at having to put out $53.95 every single year for the rest of my life (my retirement check doesn't stretch as far as it used to). Yes, I could install Sierra and one of the QMs on a separate partition on the internal SSD, but then I'd have to shut down and restart. So, that's why I'm asking if QM2020 uses any of the most basic OS folders on the computer or is it strictly User Library folders.

Best Answer

Answers

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    All versions of Quicken for Mac are independent applications and use their own data files.

So, yes, you can run 2007 alongside 2020 without either program interacting with the other.

The newer versions aren't using anything "special" inside the user Library folders. They just store their data there (by default) because it is hidden to keep users from tampering with the data file
  • ghostridr2ghostridr2 Member ✭✭
    Thank y'all for the answer. Since my iMac won't run anything above 10.13 High Sierra, I'm sticking with 10.12 Sierra (it doesn't cause me any problems and I don't have to change to the new filing system).
This discussion has been closed.