Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

TCF National Bank CC-502

I've received this error for a couple of days. Anyone else?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• dghalls
    dghalls Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi - I was hesitant to this as I've done it before and had to laboriously delete duplicate transactions as this is the main account we use for most of our transactions, i.e. there's a lot of them. So for a couple of days I downloaded the transactions manually, hoping that the issue will be resolved in the near future. But then I tried using a brand new Test quicken file and downloading worked just fine. So since I have all this time on my hands now, I decided to go through with the process you described and will have to just manually delete the duplicate transactions downloaded from the past 90 days. Did that and it worked, so now I have to turn back to deleting the duplicate transactions. I wish Quicken would introduce a method to bulk select these and delete them in one step. Thanks.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Accepted Answer
    @dghalls - I'm glad to hear this worked for you.  And a relatively simple and fast method to bulk select duplicate transactions and delete them in one step is available:
    1)  Back up your Quicken file for quick recovery in case something goes wrong.
    2)  Make sure all transactions in your account register through today are reconciled (showing "R" in the register "Clr" column). 
    3)  After your TCF online services connection is set up and transactions have downloaded, make sure to reconcile (R) any new transactions that are not duplicates of old transactions.  Do it manually.
    4)  Pull up a Banking Transactions report.  When the Customize popup comes up:
    • Select an appropriate Date range. I'd probably use "Last 12 months" to make sure I capture all newly downloaded duplicate transactions.
    • Accounts Tab:  Click on "Clear All" and then check the box for your TCF account.
    • Categories Tab:  "Select All"
    • Payees Tab:  "Select All"
    • Tags Tab:  "Select All"
    • Securities Tab:  Not applicable
    • Advanced Tab:  Make sure "Amounts" = "All", "Transaction Types" = "All Transactions", "Transfers" = "Include All" and all boxes in the "Status" box are checked except for "Reconciled".
    • Click "OK".
    5)  On the report that comes up:
    • Left click on the top transaction in the report.
    • While holding down the Shift key left click on the bottom transaction.  This will highlight all of the transactions.
    • Right click anywhere on the highlighted transactions and then click on "Delete Transaction(s)".  This will delete all of these transactions from your register at once.
    • Close the report and you are done.
    Of course, you will want to review your register and balances to make sure everything is OK.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • Boatnmaniac
    @dghalls - You can also do the mass duplicate transactions deletion right from your account register, too, instead of using the Banking Transactions report.  Follow all the steps mentioned earlier for the report (except for pulling up and customizing the report) and then sort the transactions in the register by cleared status by clicking on the "Clr" column header.  Then highlight all the unreconciled transactions you want deleted by the left click, Shift+left click step.  Right click anywhere on highlighted transactions and click on "Delete". 
    If you use this method, you will want to make sure you do not include any unreconciled  transactions (including future transactions) that you might have manually entered.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    OSU is usually reliable but it does have some reliability issues and this error code (and some others) are sometimes returned when something goes wrong during OSU.
    Try Account Register > Gear icon (at the top right of the register screen) > Update Now.   This will often resolve the issue.
    If that doesn't work:  Account Register > Gear icon > Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account.
    If that doesn't work: 
    1. Back up your file so you can retrieve it if something goes wrong.
    2. Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate.
    3. Account Details > General tab > Remove all of the Financial Institution information in the upper right corner.
    4. Account Details > Online Services tab > Set Up Now.
    5. During the set up process you will likely be given the opportunity to Add an account, Link to an account or Ignore.  Be sure to link to your existing TCF account.
    6. This process might download duplicate transactions already entered into your register.  Simply delete those duplicate transactions.  You should have duplicate transactions downloaded in the future.
    Let me know if this works for you.
  • dghalls
    dghalls Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi - I was hesitant to this as I've done it before and had to laboriously delete duplicate transactions as this is the main account we use for most of our transactions, i.e. there's a lot of them. So for a couple of days I downloaded the transactions manually, hoping that the issue will be resolved in the near future. But then I tried using a brand new Test quicken file and downloading worked just fine. So since I have all this time on my hands now, I decided to go through with the process you described and will have to just manually delete the duplicate transactions downloaded from the past 90 days. Did that and it worked, so now I have to turn back to deleting the duplicate transactions. I wish Quicken would introduce a method to bulk select these and delete them in one step. Thanks.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @dghalls - I'm glad to hear this worked for you.  And a relatively simple and fast method to bulk select duplicate transactions and delete them in one step is available:
    1)  Back up your Quicken file for quick recovery in case something goes wrong.
    2)  Make sure all transactions in your account register through today are reconciled (showing "R" in the register "Clr" column). 
    3)  After your TCF online services connection is set up and transactions have downloaded, make sure to reconcile (R) any new transactions that are not duplicates of old transactions.  Do it manually.
    4)  Pull up a Banking Transactions report.  When the Customize popup comes up:
    • Select an appropriate Date range. I'd probably use "Last 12 months" to make sure I capture all newly downloaded duplicate transactions.
    • Accounts Tab:  Click on "Clear All" and then check the box for your TCF account.
    • Categories Tab:  "Select All"
    • Payees Tab:  "Select All"
    • Tags Tab:  "Select All"
    • Securities Tab:  Not applicable
    • Advanced Tab:  Make sure "Amounts" = "All", "Transaction Types" = "All Transactions", "Transfers" = "Include All" and all boxes in the "Status" box are checked except for "Reconciled".
    • Click "OK".
    5)  On the report that comes up:
    • Left click on the top transaction in the report.
    • While holding down the Shift key left click on the bottom transaction.  This will highlight all of the transactions.
    • Right click anywhere on the highlighted transactions and then click on "Delete Transaction(s)".  This will delete all of these transactions from your register at once.
    • Close the report and you are done.
    Of course, you will want to review your register and balances to make sure everything is OK.
  • brpete
    brpete Member ✭✭
    I've been having the same problem with TCF downloads. I deactivated my TCF account and now it won't let me reactivate it.
  • Boatnmaniac
    brpete said:
    I've been having the same problem with TCF downloads. I deactivated my TCF account and now it won't let me reactivate it.

Did you delete all of the Financial Institution information (i.e., bank name, account number, customer ID, etc.) from the General tab of Account Details after deactivating but before reactivating?  That step can be critical to getting a successful reactivation.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @dghalls - You can also do the mass duplicate transactions deletion right from your account register, too, instead of using the Banking Transactions report.  Follow all the steps mentioned earlier for the report (except for pulling up and customizing the report) and then sort the transactions in the register by cleared status by clicking on the "Clr" column header.  Then highlight all the unreconciled transactions you want deleted by the left click, Shift+left click step.  Right click anywhere on highlighted transactions and click on "Delete". 
    If you use this method, you will want to make sure you do not include any unreconciled  transactions (including future transactions) that you might have manually entered.
  • dghalls
    dghalls Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac I did the first bulk delete approach and it worked great! Thanks for saving me a ton of time and wear/tear on my arthritic fingers! Quicken should have these options in their standard documentation.
  • brpete
    brpete Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac - I deleted everything it would let me delete. The response I recevied when I attempt to "Set up Now..." is

"Sorry. we encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)"

I don't know who is sorry, TCF Bank or Quicken.

I attempt this about every other day, thinking something may be fixed.
  • brpete
    brpete Member ✭✭
    It appears at this minute that it is TCF Bank's problem, digitial banking is currently unavailable when I attempt to log in online.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this error to the community.

Please take a moment and review the information/steps available here and post back to let us know what error code and message you are receiving in the OFX Log.

Thank you,

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.